+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Driver guilty of M6 family deaths in General; Driver guilty of M6 family deaths BBC NEWS | England | Staffordshire | Driver guilty of M6 family deaths Thats ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Driver guilty of M6 family deaths

Driver guilty of M6 family deaths

BBC NEWS | England | Staffordshire | Driver guilty of M6 family deaths

Thats not even a year per person - what a load of .
    Last edited by mark; 16th February 2009 at 09:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know i just heard this...

He wiped out a whole family! 18 months if that.....pathetic..

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shocking case. What was the judge thinking? Idiot.

Thank Post
    Can't help but feel although the guy was careless, he wouldn't have meant to kill someone. Imagine if you caused an accident by putting a new cd in your stereo or something.
    I'm not saying what he did was right and the family involved is so tragic and my heart goes out to the rest of the family. But the guy surely didnt go out to kill someone, it wasn't with malice. I'm sure he rightly feels devastated at the fact he's caused an accident which has killed 6 human beings.

Thank Post
    According to the report I heard on the news he was using his laptop on the passenger seat! He should have been hung drawn and quartered!

Thank Post
    The evidence was " the laptop was facing him".
    I think if you're in an accident things tend to move around within the cab. I was a passenger in an accident a few years ago and my kebab covered the front window, wasn't the drivers fault, but wouldnt that mean he was driving with a kebab covering his view?
    I'm just saying, not everything is done with malicious intent and a lot of it is to do with trusting someones recollection of the events. 6 people have died, unfortunately the legal system requires someone is "hung" for it.

Again i'm not taking away the fact 6 people have died, it just sounds a little dodgy that the main piece of evidence wasn't really that conclusive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    I think if you're in an accident things tend to move around within the cab. I was a passenger in an accident a few years ago and my kebab covered the front window, wasn't the drivers fault, but wouldnt that mean he was driving with a kebab covering his view?
    I'm just saying, not everything is done with malicious intent and a lot of it is to do with trusting someones recollection of the events. 6 people have died, unfortunately the legal system requires someone is "hung" for it.

Again i'm not taking away the fact 6 people have died, it just sounds a little dodgy that the main piece of evidence wasn't really that conclusive
    The verdict was , and it does not matter if no malicious intent was meant. Whenever you get into a car / lorry whatever you have a machine that you are in charge of that can KILL - that simple.
    The verdict is a complete and utter insult to the family.
    Last edited by mark; 17th February 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes because this man clearly went out to kill someone that day, doing his boring lorry driving job he decided....actually....i'm fed up with this....lets kill a family of 6.
    The family were a victim of a 5 vehicle pile-up not a single man who has become a scapegoat because a "laptop was facing him".
    He denied both charges, someone HAD to hang for the deaths, he was the most likely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post

I tend to agree more with this. Do you get punished for your crime, or the consequences of your crime? If no-one was hurt or killed and he'd simply been caught driving carelessly, people would be complaining the sentence was too harsh. Yet his actions were the same, just difference consequences which he didn't have any control over.

How many of you have spoken on your phone with your hand to your ear while driving? If you were honest, I'd guess most of you have at some point. Not a major crime really. Yet if you happen to be in the wrong place and the wrong time and hit and kill someone due to your lack of attention on the road, you are the most evil person in the world, even though your actions were the same.

I'm not excusing what he did, I'm just saying look at it from both points of view before making a judgment. I think people tend to jump on the bandwagon in cases like these intending to destroy any quality of life that person may have left because of a mistake he made that so many people have made before him, it's just that most are lucky in the fact that their actions didn't have such severe consequences.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Are you seriously trying to defend him?
    I don't think anyone is trying to defend him. I'm just trying to point out some things which most people don't seem to think about - all they see is that a family has been killed when there is more to it then that.

Thank Post
    How many of you have spoken on your phone with your hand to your ear while driving? If you were honest, I'd guess most of you have at some point.
    Nope never have - why ? Because I know what it can do. As a bike rider I have avoid complete and utter morons who do. Like I already said - once you get into a car / lorry or any motor contraption you have a killing machine in your hands. It's YOUR responsibility to drive in a safe and controlled manner - don't and you end up killing someone or an ENTIRE family you have to pay the consequences.
    There are NO excuses. The laptop could be up his for all I care. He is a killer - pure and simple.
    Last edited by mark; 17th February 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    My point exactly Bat. You just seem a little better at it then me
    A family has died, i'm not taking anything away from that, it's a tragic event and again my heart goes out to the family.
    To be called a butcher because of the circumstances is fair enough from a family member, they obviously are very angry and upset at what has happened but it's not as clear cut as that.
    What if he wasn't guilty of anything "police BELIEVED he was using the laptop whilst driving" that is not a conclusive piece of evidence.
    I have a phone in my car that turned on during an accident, police BELIEVED me to be using it. I wasn't..... do I go down for 18 months?
    18 month prison sentence, a criminal record, my future and career destroyed? For something I hadn't even done, but was believed to be doing. I'm sorry it's just not good enough.

Thank Post
    Well here we are, an open invite to all foreign drivers to bring their wagons over here, cause carnage and get off lightly.

Bet this "judge" wouldn't have been so lenient if it were their own family.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Bet this "judge" wouldn't have been so lenient if it were their own family.
    Which is precisely the reason why that would never be allowed to happen. He is there to bring justice, not revenge.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, see, i heard that he'd been driving for a ridculous number of hours without a break...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast