+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I need to write a development plan in General; I know this has been asked before and i have got some info from the old threads but was wondering ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I need to write a development plan

I know this has been asked before and i have got some info from the old threads but was wondering if anyone else had anything to add.

Basically i've been working at a primary school since september and if im honest, the IT there is not anywhere near the standard it should be. It obviously didnt take priority with the previous head and i think with the new one its time for a change.

So, i think i need to write a plan to show them what needs changing and why and guess what!? I've never done this before so could do with some sort of guideline..(i know there are no set rules) just need a place to start.

So any tips for a numptey like me would be gratefully recieved..!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,545 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would first identify what needs changing, what isnt working properly, what is broken what people need and how you can improve the service.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Little-Miss (15th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,786 Posts
    How about trying to go and see some local primaries? If you could contact the IT people I'm sure they would be happy to show you around and you could get a good idea of what you need to get your school up to scratch.
    How big is the school? I work in a junior and a middle school and could give you an idea of what we have in both if it would help
    As a guideline, the primary (curriculum network only) has: one 2003 server, one caching server, one UPS, one IT suite with enough computers for a whole class,( which are about 4 years old and should be updated within the year, I think) with one screen and projector for showing what is on the teacher's computer. A network printer
    An interactive whiteboard in every class
    A laptop for every teacher (part-timers are a bit of an issue!)
    A lapsafe with wireless laptops for use by a class (hate these, myself but there you are)
    A separate networked machine in the library with dedicated library software
    An area with several computers and printer for the staff to use. (useful for PPA time)
    Several computers in a room for the SEN team
    Separate computer for pastoral support, and staff room (with printers)
    Some wireless areas around the school (if you go down this route, spend the money on decent wireless or your life will be very difficult)
    Other things like video cameras, webcams, digital cameras etc as desired
    That's about it, I think
    That's the basics
    Last edited by witch; 15th February 2009 at 10:57 PM.

5. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (16th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I dont think there should be any set rules for a devplan - just make sure that whatever you write contains clear targets and goals for your school.

Whenever I write devplans I tend to work from a timescale basis

- what needs doing tomorrow and in the next few weeks
    - what needs doing in the next few months
    - where do we want to be in a year, 2 years, etc

that way I dont end up listing a humongous amount of tasks which all need to be done yesterday

7. Thanks to shutdownplease from:

Thank Post
    Little Miss if you want you can visit the school i look after not sure if it will help but the offer is there. Let me know

9. Thanks to JOrdan01070 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the school has a lot of outdated equipment.

Major bugbear at the moment is lack of printers. Got some new ones on the way so now its a matter of placing them around the school to please the teachers (i know!)

Got company coming to do a wireless survey because the place needs flooding but no one believes me.

We have promethean boards with these awful Becta boxes i think they're called (a box on the wall, where you can flick between 2 inputs for the board) which are kinda useful, but just cause so much confusion.

Teachers laptops are in dire need of replacing, they are bloody awful!

There is no computers for staff use accept one in the room where i work, there are network points in the staff room, but they wont allow anything in there as its a place to relax!

Can i include the swapping and updating of staff in my plan?!

Thank Post
    Always try and focus on how it will improve the teaching and learning and not just the technical capabilities. It's what head teachers get off on!

12. Thanks to machin05 from:

Thank Post
    Talk to the teachers there. See what areas they think are lacking and see what needs to be done. Ultimately you are aiming to maintain a network that can be used for teaching and learning. Is there an equivalent of an ICT Coordinator in primaries? If so talk to them.

You can include training as part of your plan as new equipment tends to require initial training(you can also include training for existing stuff if people dont know how to use it)

Find out where the school would like to be in 1,3 and 5 years time. See if your network could cope with that as it is, and if not highlight those areas. Identify what you would need to do in order to achieve those aims. As you have said that your IT standard is not good enough, maybe start with creating a minimum client specifcation for your school. Then idenitfy what machines would need to be replaced.

14. Thanks to penfold from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you think giving out some sort of questionnaire or something similar for staff to fill out would be helpful?
    As long as they no its not for critisim, its what they feel is needed to be put in place in the school to enhance teaching and learning. in the future...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Do you think giving out some sort of questionnaire or something similar for staff to fill out would be helpful?
    As long as they no its not for critisim, its what they feel is needed to be put in place in the school to enhance teaching and learning. in the future...
    I wouldn't get too precious about critism. It's can be a very helpful medium on which to highlight improvements and make important people happy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol fair enough, good point..

*Imagines the piles of pure critisim she will be given back*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I gave out a questionnaire when I started here, asking what teachers used, how they rated their skill set (with some examples for them to rate how well they could do things) and what they thought needed improving. It was explained that this was not to find fault but to inform future decisions on training and purchasing and most people were positive. Based on the answers we ran some sessions on common themes that came up and had some individual time with the least confident.

Unfortunately there will always been some who see it as criticism or a way to undermine them, these are usually the least confident staff and some get defensive about it. Not all, I have one teacher who is scared at using IT but is very keen to learn and the questionnaire was a safe way to admit this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One of the first things I did was look at the replacement life cycle of exiting equipment. I put our teachers laptops and 4 main ICT suites on a rotating 4-year replacement cycle. Then looked at fitting projectors, other PC's, servers, switches, etc into a replacement cycle.

The next step was to look at backend changes - improving data backups, virtualisation, UPS's, etc.

Finally I looked at improvements in places like SEN, Library, admin computers, etc. Then fitting those improvements into to where the budget might allow.

Finally I wrote all this down, taking each area at a time, explaining whats there now, where I think we should be heading, how long it'll take to get there and how much it's likely to cost.

It's a very useful exercise just for yourself, to build up a good working picture of your network and the equipment you're managing.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure a questionnaire is the right way to go. Some people wont have the time. A simple conversation about what they see as the main problem could be better as this could be a user issue rather than a technical one. You can also ask where they would like to go with their lessons, and see what implicatoins this would have on the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    going through the ICTMark is a good way to see what needs to be improved from a teaching and learning point of view. They suggest questionnaires as a good form of evidence

Becta Schools - Self-review framework - ICT Mark - Apply for the ICT Mark

edit: link to the self review freamework
    http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.ph...=srf&rid=11966

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast