+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Where there's blame there's a claim or not? in General; My 14 year old son broke his humerus bone near the elbow last thursday while in school in PE. He ...
    Thank Post

Where there's blame there's a claim or not?

My 14 year old son broke his humerus bone near the elbow last thursday while in school in PE. He was standing on a bench at the time waiting for a basketball to be thrown to him where he was supposed to then catch it an throw it on. Before the ball even got to him the bench tipped over and that's when the break occurred.
    He was in a lot of pain and the hospital told us that he was lucky that he didn't need it pinning. Anyway he was oiff school until Tuesday where he went back in to study in the library until he is happy moving among the hordes of students.
    So, anyway, I rang his school asking for details of the accident and if they had a risk assesment for the acvtivity they were carrying out.
    i have had no reply yet 48 hours later.
    The school manager at my secondary school told me that we should go an see a solicitor about claiming compensation for him as that is what happens in our school and we are insured against such thing so the school will not take it personally.

My question to my fellow edugeekers is what would you do?

I'm not really sure about the whole compensation thing but it could go into my sons bank account for when, or if, he went on to further education?

Thank Post
    why was he standing on bench in basketball?
    was he told to by PE teacher?
    hmm,doesn't sound like safe practice to me , you may have a claim...

Thank Post
    Yes, he was told to stand on the bench for the game they were playing.
    I still have not had the schools account of the event so i am still holding full judgement!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd have to agree that it sounds like the PE teacher put him at risk here.

You probably do have a claim for compensation, just don't get overly ambitious about the amount. If I remember correctly about £2000 is at the point where insurance companies will consider fighting a case rather than just paying out.

Thank Post
    Well my wife has just this second rang me and asked me not to cause a fuss as she doesn't want his school life ruining.

I would just like a letter of explanation to start off with!

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    He's fourteen, might be worth asking him what he'd like. He should at least get a full apology from the school I'd think.

Thank Post
    Yeah - it would be nice to hear the schools side of things and would probably put your mind at ease.

But as a whole I don't agree with all this compensation lark. Everybodys suing everybody for everything. Me no likey!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I do understand where you are coming from - but in this case I believe that it was a simple accident.

These things happen - would you rather that your son is not allowed to play any sort of game in case a ball hits him or perhaps he falls off the gym equipment?

As more and more people claim compensation, less and less PE and the like will be done in schools, or anywhere else for that matter.
    Are you SERIOUSLY saying that you feel that your 14 year old should not be allowed to stand on a bench?
    There are cases where there has been serious negligence but I really don't think this is one of them.
    As I said, Accidents happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I do understand where you are coming from - but in this case I believe that it was a simple accident.

These things happen - would you rather that your son is not allowed to play any sort of game in case a ball hits him or perhaps he falls off the gym equipment?

As more and more people claim compensation, less and less PE and the like will be done in schools, or anywhere else for that matter.
    Are you SERIOUSLY saying that you feel that your 14 year old should not be allowed to stand on a bench?
    There are cases where there has been serious negligence but I really don't think this is one of them.
    As I said, Accidents happen.
    Spot on. We're turning into a blame cultured nanny state. Shoe laces need to be outlawed before someone trips!

Thank Post
    I'd agree as long as the school/PE staff can explain to you what happened and you are happy then there is no need to start shooting claims off. Problem with "Where there's blaim, there's a claim" is someone can always proportion blame to someone else, doesn't mean it is fair or necessary.

As for kids shouldn't be standing on a bench!?! You never played bench ball? Or used them in PE for balances/travelling exercises/etc? As for the PE teacher obviously put him at risk we may as well close all schools as parents are putting their kids at risk by sending kids out of the houses....... And calm... Sorry, pet bugbear or mine. Next they will stop me allowing kids to axe juggle, make flame throwers and play with knives!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    I have to agree with witch. Benches are 'standard PE equipment' and are designed for standing on. Your son had a very unfortunate but serious accident.

I would want to see the accident form for this incident and requesting to see it would not be unreasonable. If there isn't one, you would have more grounds for concern. The form has to be completed as soon as possible after the incident and cannot be changed once filled in.

Thank Post
    Phone an ambulance chaser, let them deal with it. collect pay cheque at the end.

Thank Post
    Those benches are designed to be stood on, jumped on, walked on etc. Was the bench physically sound? They don't just tip over, maybe someone else tipped it?

Personally, accidents happen, don't sue it just pushes up premiums and leads to fun stuff getting banned.

Hope he fixes soon though.

coquet636
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Yeah - it would be nice to hear the schools side of things and would probably put your mind at ease.

But as a whole I don't agree with all this compensation lark. Everybodys suing everybody for everything. Me no likey!
    Agree with Hightower, i dont like this compensation culture either, Yes he was put at risk, but still it was an accident, i know it could have been prevented but an accident no less... I think a formal apology from the school and explanation would be enough for myself....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So long as the school has had its PE equipment checked, and the activity was a normal sporting activity (bench ball is a normal sporting activity), then I think it will all be fine from the school's perspective.

I'd mark it down as an accident, and move on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast