+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Where there's blame there's a claim or not? in General; Originally Posted by reggiep Well my wife has just this second rang me and asked me not to cause a ...
    BJG
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Well my wife has just this second rang me and asked me not to cause a fuss as she doesn't want his school life ruining.
    Well, it's a consideration. Sounds like an unfortunate accident, but these things happen. Hope he recovers soon.

Thank Post
    I remember playing a game in PE when I was about 11. You had 2 teams at opposing sides of the Hall. Each team member had a number. The teacher would call out a number, and as soon as they blew the whistle, the 2 opposing players with that number had to run to the centre of the hall (Running towards each other) to get the football and score in the opposing net.

Well, me and me old mate Tuckers ran against each other, got there at the same time and collided. I got a hairline fracture in one of my lower leg bones on my right leg. (Biology wasn't my strong point so can't remember which bone).

I thought I'd broken my leg, but because I could hobble (in a lot of pain), they let me walk home. (In the snow)

Never been in as much pain in my life, mainly due to constant muscle spasms which kept jerking my leg.

That was around 1991 when Ambulance chasing was still just an American pursuit. My folks played hell with the school. Not so much because of my injury, but because of their lack of help. They didn't bother calling my folks or consider how I was meant to get home.

From what I remember, they stopped playing that game in PE. I'd like to think my folks wouldn't have tried to make a claim over it.

If anything, the school should have been sued for gross negligence regards my welfare after the accident, rather than an unfortunate injury during PE.

I think the point I'm trying to make is if the school made sure your son was looked after correctly afterward, then leave it be. If they sent him home with a plaster on, sue them to teach them a lesson.

Thank Post
    My question to my fellow edugeekers is what would you do?
    Find out exactly what happened first. Check your son doesn't have balance problems (issues with his inner ear?), this could be an excellent time to catch such problems. Otherwise, get your son to Judo lessons and teach him to fall over properly.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I wouldn't make a claim, as long as they filled in the paperwork. and have made changes to stop it happening again (if possible).....

Personally I don't think the blame culture is good... but sometimes it hammers the point home and when they don't change anything or look at there practice, they clearly haven't learned.

P.S If its anything like my claim then you just fill in some forms and send them off, no court or personal apperances.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blimey....was one of your kids a victim of him!?

On a lighter note, before i read the title properly i thought you were sueing dr who for something lol!

Thank Post

My question to my fellow edugeekers is what would you do?

I'm not really sure about the whole compensation thing but it could go into my sons bank account for when, or if, he went on to further education?
    Ok. I really DO NOT want to put any noses out but, schools are the source of our income. I've seen the claim for the broken tooth that was caused by a potentally dangerous instrument being brought into school (a ruler!). Accidents will always happen, it's human nature.
    Sorry if i have offended anybody.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I have to agree with witch. Benches are 'standard PE equipment' and are designed for standing on. Your son had a very unfortunate but serious accident.

I would want to see the accident form for this incident and requesting to see it would not be unreasonable. If there isn't one, you would have more grounds for concern. The form has to be completed as soon as possible after the incident and cannot be changed once filled in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Those benches are designed to be stood on, jumped on, walked on etc. Was the bench physically sound? They don't just tip over, maybe someone else tipped it?

Personally, accidents happen, don't sue it just pushes up premiums and leads to fun stuff getting banned.

Hope he fixes soon though.
    Aren't those benches also designed to be bolted to the ground?

But also if you do end up sueing or whatever, don't go for some large amount of money just enough to cover medical costs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post

But also if you do end up sueing or whatever, don't go for some large amount of money just enough to cover medical costs.
    No, the benches aren't designed to be bolted to the ground. They are movable, for the purpose of general PE use.

And there will be almost no medical costs, as the NHS pays for it all. The only costs may be travel, but I think it may be possible to claim for them too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    No, these are probably the same benches that most every English school has had in their PE department for the past 20 years or so, 3-metre long or so solid wood with hooks at the end to allow them to be attached to climbing frames and similar. They generally have rubber feat on the bottoms and ends to stop them slipping around.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    No, these are probably the same benches that most every English school has had in their PE department for the past 20 years or so, 3-metre long or so solid wood with hooks at the end to allow them to be attached to climbing frames and similar. They generally have rubber feat on the bottoms and ends to stop them slipping around.

--
    David Hicks
    If thats the case then may be worth while requesting to see the bench that your kid fell off to see if it is actually safe - and maybe request at the same time for them to check the other benches and get the staff to ensure that the kids are using the equipment safely so at least something similar does not happen again ( at least that being the idea ) as nothing is full proof or is that fool proof ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12