+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New Spider. in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I like the bird eating spiders as they are big enough to cuddle (sort of!)
    I agree about birds though, even in an aviary I don't like it as they can't fly for long distances.
    I also don't like big animals in cages - I have seen enough unhappy elephants, lions and tigers to know that they are not really meant to be in captivity.I know there are good breeding schemes and that's great, but the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.
    As you say though, small animals, snakes and insects don't seem to suffer or know any different.
    King Baboon, there are vids online of it eating various animals. Its quite an aggressive spider though and has VERY large fangs.

Description:
    The King Baboon Spider is a large tarantula that is covered over its entire body with a velvety burnt orange coloration. It has enlarged back legs as do most of its baboon spider relatives. It also has large black shiny fangs and is not afraid to use them!.
    They average about 5.5 - 6" (14 - 15 cm), though a mature female may exceed 7.8" (20 cm). Mature males are smaller than females. Males are very hairy and slender and have no tibial hooks to aid in breeding.

Care and Feeding:
    There is a tendency by keepers to feed their large, aggressive species lots of live mice. We suggest feeding the King Baboon Spider a diverse diet consisting of adult crickets, grasshoppers, Tenebrio larvae, and only occasional feedings (once or twice a month) of mice. This variety more closely mirrors the diet of this tarantula in nature and will keep them healthy.

Environment:
    In nature the King Baboon Spider is found in deep burrows associated with rock piles or the bases of trees. In captivity they should be kept in a 15 to 20-gallon terrarium with a secure lid. This enclosure should have a deep substrate of at least 10” of compacted sand and peat moss or potting soil. They should be allowed to dig and maintain a burrow which will help meet their need for a warm, humid retreat.

Temperature and Humidity requirements:
    Warmth in the 78° to 82° F range and a humidity of 75 to 85% is best for this burrowing species.

Social Behavior/Activities:
    The King Baboon Spiders are very aggressive and best housed singly. With the slightest disturbance they can become defensive. They make a hissing noise by rubbing the hairs on their front legs together, and they will rear up on their hind legs with fangs bared, and bite.

Handling:
    This species is very aggressive / defensive and should not be handled under any circumstances. The bite can be medically significant for some people. We suggest using a paint brush or other tool to corral the King Baboon Spider when moving it from enclosure to enclosure for cleaning, maintenance, or for breeding attempts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Handling:
    This species is very aggressive / defensive and should not be handled under any circumstances. The bite can be medically significant for some people. We suggest using a paint brush or other tool to corral the King Baboon Spider when moving it from enclosure to enclosure for cleaning, maintenance, or for breeding attempts.
    I've always adopted this proceedure regardless of the size of spider! I always dread the kids bringing the evil critters near me - I put on a brave face and demand their immediate release to freedom outside!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,702 Posts
    Hmm...I wonder what the spider my friend had a few years ago was then? There is a Goliath spider that doesn't sound quite as bad as the King Baboon, but his was quite friendly and would sit happily on your hand. She certainly wasn't aggressive at all.

On a related note, a friend of my husband's brought a tarantula to our wedding - apparently he was going to pick it up that day anyway and we were on the way back!!
    He casually took it out of his bag (in a perspex box) and put it on the table, expecting all the occupants to run away screaming, and they all went 'oh, that's lovely' and all wanted a look. Hah! (he was...very odd...)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12