+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Barebones PC probs in General; I ordered an Asus Intel Dual Core barebones PC last week for my dad, with a GeForce 8500 card and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Barebones PC probs

I ordered an Asus Intel Dual Core barebones PC last week for my dad, with a GeForce 8500 card and 250gb drive as extras.
    It arrived yesterday, and after an hour of setting up XP on it, i ran the installer CD that came with it for drivers, halfway through one install the machine froze. light on USB mouse went out, keyboard stopped responding, hard drive stopped spinning. Rebooted and it was fine. Went through an hour of setting stuff up (XP SP3 etc) and left my dad with it.
    Got a call half an hour later saying it had frozen and on rebooting, the PC light comes on, but no monitor.
    I went back round, tried and it worked, but on running windows update it froze again. Then again about 15mins later while doing nothing.
    Looked inside the case and they've given a 500gb drive (i ordered 250) and a gainward geforce 9500gt (i ordered 8500gt).
    I'm just wondering if the 9500gt is draining too much power from the psu, if it was only designed for smaller cards, or if the card itself is generating too much heat and causing the pc to shut down due to overheating (which might explain why it worked after i'd driven round, it had a chance to cool down).

Trying to call the support line for it now but getting an engaged tone so just thought I'd try opening it up here to see anybodys ideas.
    My dads pretty annoyed now at having to wait a week when it was next day delivery, and now it stops working within a few hours of being switched on.

Thank Post
    Now I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, but we have had to send around 30 ASUS barebones back to our suppliers as they all had the same MAC address.

This resulted in a similar issue to the one you are seeing but only when there was two of the machines on the network.

I can find out what the MAC address was if you want.

Thank Post
    I'm just wondering if the 9500gt is draining too much power from the psu, if it was only designed for smaller cards.
    It is possible although the 9500 is hardly a high powered card, I would certainly try it without (I assume it has onboard graphics) and loop 3d mark a few time to try and replicate the issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    if its an over heating issue then check the bios to see what the max temps are for shutdown - if they are too low you can increase those.

If its power related then a more powerfull PSU would be better ( obviously )

Maybe try and lower hardware acceleration in windows and see if that helps at all ?

If it is power issued you can try and dis connect some other devices ie the dvd drive and if it has a dedicated soundcard maybe take the sound card out as well and see how that runs.

I would also try and get the latest drivers from there website instead of using the ones on disc and see if the updated drivers help at all.

Maybe check device manager to see if there are any issues relating to USB or the USB hub etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I got through to the support line and have been advised to run a few diagnostic tests to check memory for faults, and also check CPU and GPU temps.
    I'm going to download the drivers from their site and install those rather than the CD ones (couldn't do first time as it needed lan driver).

They did say the 9500GT shouldn't cause any probs as they have built others with that card, so it can either be XP install (will try again), dodgy driver install, or some hardware related fault.

Just means another night I have to fix a pc rather than getting to rest!!

Thank Post
    I think its memtest86.org or something like that - they have a bootable cd that can test the memory or if you use ultimate boot cd I think that has it or maybe bart pe - although with bart pe I think you would have to download it and add it as a plugin.

Thank Post
    Sounds like it may also be a power supply (PSU) problem. The PSU may appear to be working ok, but if not putting out the correct voltages or fluctuating that may be your answer.

I have seen the kind of behaviour you describe on a couple of machines before. We swapped out the PSU and hey presto problem gone!

If you have a spare, try running with an alternate PSU.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They did advise memtest86 yes. I have the bootable cd in my bag now. Also advised GPUZ and Realpower to check cpu/gpu temps.

I don't have a spare PSU, so if these tests come up clear then I'll be sending back for repair/replace/refund. The whole reason I bought a barebones/value system (barebones with preinstalled extras) was that it cut out the need for me to source loads of different components and could just order, install, leave.
    i thought it was too good to be true when xp installed in record time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    They did advise memtest86 yes. I have the bootable cd in my bag now. Also advised GPUZ and Realpower to check cpu/gpu temps.

I don't have a spare PSU, so if these tests come up clear then I'll be sending back for repair/replace/refund. The whole reason I bought a barebones/value system (barebones with preinstalled extras) was that it cut out the need for me to source loads of different components and could just order, install, leave.
    i thought it was too good to be true when xp installed in record time.
    never heard of gpuz and realpower ( you got any links to those ) ?

If not will google em later - most likely would of been easier to source the parts yourself and done it yourself - by the time your done argueing with them on the phone and sorting out packaging it up and sending it back etc etc you probably would of had one working.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i think realpower is on techpower.com and gpuz you can google (first result) and will show gpu stats and temps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread