+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, IT Room Chairs in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We've started to buy the following chairs from a local supplier Godfrey Syrett for our newer suites / clusters.

These are gas canister height adjustable and without wheels so they can't be easily moved around the place. They also are not as uncomfortable as they look, easily cleaned by cleaners and I think we paid about £35 each.
    They look suitable (and slightly more appealing), though I can't find reference to them on the website? Is there a discount for buying in bulk? Do you happen to know what the chair model is to see if any other local suppliers to us can stock it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Focus DIY have gas-lift barstools in for £25 at the moment, we could do with some for the staffroom. You could do worse than check out the Ikea catalogue.

--
    David Hicks
    Gas lift = potentially dangerous?
    Last edited by stephenleak; 12th February 2009 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    Why are gas lift potential dangerous?

Users are supposed to be able to adjust their chair to a comfortable position.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    They look suitable (and slightly more appealing), though I can't find reference to them on the website? Is there a discount for buying in bulk? Do you happen to know what the chair model is to see if any other local suppliers to us can stock it?
    This is all I have, they have their own factories so I think they may make their own. I would imagine they should be a discount for bulk buying they is for us but we are a regular customer - after checking we paid under £15 each when we bought about 150.

Description: Computer chairs (on skids?)
    Model: P5ECAN
    Cost: £15.80

Thank Post
    We just use standard classroom chairs (some rooms have got ergonomic ones). I'm under the impression there is not requirement for an adjustable chair unless they're being used for more then one hour at a time.

Thank Post
    Just revisiting this again as we'll be looking to put some costs/proposals foward shortly regarding this.

K.C.Leblanc, do you know if the duration is a legal requirement? As such, is it written somewhere that chairs that are adjustable would be necessary only for prolonged (1hr+) usage?

Does anyone who has standard chairs (not gas lift) find that small/tall students have any difficulty in seeing the screen/using peripherals? We have only ever gone for gas lift chairs in the past for IT rooms, so wouldn't fully know the extent of using standard ones (we do have a few standards in place of broken gas lift chairs, but (un)surprisngly these aren't favoured)!

What costs sound reasonable for a class of 35 chairs? Sylv3r's £15.80 sounds very appealing, however not being a regular customer anywhere like this or looking to purchase in any close quantity to 150, I doubt we could secure a price like that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenleak View Post
    Gas lift = potentially dangerous?
    Eh? I checked on the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_lift_chairs"]Wikipedia article[/ame], they seem fairly innocuous - "gas lift" is just another term for a "gas spring", there's no canisters of compressed gas or anything flying around (and there's no relation to oil-well gas lifts, either).

Regarding legislation on chairs: this would be the Health and Safety act. This doesn't apply to children, as far as I can figure out you can have children sat on whatever you like.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it comes down to reasonable care for things like chairs in schools. For example, backless stools are a big no-no now, as there is no support for a child should they lean back - and the school would be at fault.

Personally, we use sebel fixed plastic chairs, nothing fancy. Nothing to be broken. Nice long warranty. But then, the height range of the kids isn't huge here, with us having only 4 years.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    google for "chair explodes" and youll see the recent story of a kid killed in not a nice way by his chair exploding.

Thank Post
    And for those too lazy to google: Man Vs Machine: Boy Killed Anally When Office Chair Explodes

That is one nasty way to die! Guess that will teach him to stop bouncing up and down on his chair....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    google for "chair explodes" and youll see the recent story of a kid killed in not a nice way by his chair exploding.
    Oh. Eew. I imagine the advice here is to buy furniture with a proper BS kite mark, which I should think every chair sold in this country would be required to have anyway - the problem with that Chinese chair would seem to be shoddy manufacturing in a country where markets and shops are maybe less regulated than here.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12