+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, modern apprentice in General; I am in the process of trying to convince the powers that be to hire a modern apprentice. I was ...
    Thank Post

modern apprentice

I am in the process of trying to convince the powers that be to hire a modern apprentice. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this process and are there any incentives to employers.

Also if you have a modern apprentice how did you (do you) find them with a view to the day to day job, any advice ther eto please.

Thank Post

Re: modern apprentice

we did something similar at school this year, we hired a gap year student from demont uni in leicester....

because we are a school we cannot afford to pay at full wage, so the type of people that apply are not the best,

this year has been a bit of a waste really cause the techie dont know nothing, keeps forgetting everything u tell them, and found it very hard to grasp the idea of networking.....

if they have a good background, or are studying that field and the course is releviant to what they would do at yr school, then that might be better

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another one taking DMU skivers .... it is amazing how many schools make us of cheap labour like this.

It will be a shame to lose Tina in a few months time ... but her replacement, Harmeet, looks like he will be a good egg.

I was thinking about asking DMU if we could swap techies for a few weeks towards march time, to give them an idea of what it is like in other schools.

Thank Post

We used to have uni students spend a year with us as part of there course, 3 year degree with 1 year placement. Trouble is you spend alot of time getting to know them, training etc...then you loose and instanlty replaced by a fresh new student

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

I have had a little practise with modern apprentice's our latest one Andrew
    came to me from another placement at a place called Itech. When he arrived with his co-ordinator he was a little quiet but i soon got him up and running and made him feel at ease. His co-ordinator asked me on behalf of the school to fill out the necessary forms risk assessment, health and safety etc and also to send a copy of our LEA school insurance document. He is doing his NVQ level two now and has nearly completed it and is doing really well for a guy who knew nothing about IT. He has restricted access but is very useful for all the hands on cleaning, toners, changing mice, keyboards etc. He has taken his skills into rebuilding both stand alone and networked computers, how to fault find and recover workstations. This he has documented and is currently applying for a full time position at another school not bad for 8 months work. i found it a little trying at first especially when things were a little hectic and he would just sit cos he did not know what to do next but got him into planning his schedule by giving him his own responsibilities and timetabling them into his own working schedule. Works a treat now he is always busy doing something if not school work then other NVQ work. Treat them with a little respect and they will do fine.

Good luck

Thank Post

We have a modern apprentice, I do not know how they are funded but he does not get paid allot. Good lad hard working and not really bothered when we give him menial tasks. He is constantly monitored by an agency that are accessing his NVQ in IT. Most of the course is not that relevant but it seems flexible and he has covered topics like OS installs and imaging, this would not be usual for most doing this NVQ.

Thank Post

We've had 3 Modern Apprentices from Burnley College. First ran away after a few months, after failing his college bit, he was pretty darn useless anyway even with training and bucketloads of patience! The 2nd has just done NVQ level 3 and we're employing her full time from September. She's a gem!
    Unfortunately, we sacked the 3rd yesterday as he has "been involved" with a year 10 girl. Very easy for 16/17 year old boys in a position of responsibility to gain attraction! You have to be very vigilant at all times, but he did it all out of school.

Andy Cattanach, Blackburn

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies I get the idea from what you say, that it can go one way or the other, how much help they actually are. I personally could do with an extra pair of hands here, as no doubt most of you could.

Thank Post

We have/had one - not sure if he is still classed as such - he is still doing the course technically, but after a year we have to pay him "properly" I believe. We have taken him on permananently. He was quite knowledgeable when we took him on and eager to learn anything else. He was picked from 7, he was the obvious choice - not sure how it would have gone with any of the others.

Andy

Thank Post

I was an apprentice, in a past life, well just over a year ago.
    I thought i'd offer some from "our perspective" advice. It's not nice getting paid 70p an hour to do a full time job, I don't think many people would enjoy it. I was an apprentice for just over a year and to be fair I learnt alot but it was crap, many apprentices have to have another job to have any money, so it is all very hard work. All most of us ask for is a little appreciation for our commitment during our learning, and not to be led on in believing there will be a nice shiny Technician job at the end of the rainbow. I was lucky in that I was employed at my training centre, now i'm doing level 3 and looking for any training i can get.
    So be nice, kind and respectfull of our efforts to be more like our line managers, well skills wise anyway.

JayR

Thank Post

Hi, i'm currently on an apprenticeship, level 3 NVQ + Cisco/I-Pro and some other courses. I have to be up at 6:15 to get 2 different buses to work and then back again since I havnt passed my driving test yet, I dont get paid a huge amount (£9000 a year) and its a bit of a struggle to pay my rent and stuff plus the rediculously expense 1month bus pass, which works out at £840 a year.
    I started at this school last september after completing my A-levels in philosophy and ethics, Animation and multimedia and Geography. I would have finished ICT aswell only troubles at home meant I was struggling to keep up and had to drop the subject. once I left I didnt really want to go to uni and so bummed around a bit and ended up getting a call from the job centre in mid august saying theres was a modern apprenticeship going at a school nearby. To be honest I didnt think I would get the job as I didnt really have any work experience and because there were alot of applicants already, some that had already done IT related courses at the college. After being made to wait 1 1/2 - 2 hours in reception I finally had my interview which I was a bit nervous about and thought I screwed it up so I got the floating bridge home and ended up getting a phonecall saying I could have the job if I was still interested. I couldnt believe it really, I really didnt think I would get it.

But anyway everything is great and everyone likes me, although my age AND height cause problems as most people thought I was a sixth former, and i've had the girlie fanclubs aswell which was v. freaky for quiet lil' me!

I think the biggest test of my stay here will be this summer when we make the move from Novell to server 2003, though we are keeping Zenworks, and I have also designed the school website and E-learning environment using Joomla and Moodle, as noone else really had any PHP/mysql knowledge, it gave me a bit of a ego trip when the head said it was great!
    I still think that this is probably the best opportunity I've had to take control of my life, i'm doing something I enjoy, I'm learning, I'm also teaching other techies new things and i'm getting paid, certainly beats school!

anyway I ought to shutup now, its lunch time nearly and I still have to decrease the logon count on all the year 9's and 10's as they've been sharing logins
    toodles!

Thank Post

Funny this post should re-arise today, I will be interviewing 4 people tomorrow morning. This has mad me think a little as i have never interviewed for a modern apprentice.

What sort of questions would you ask?

Thank Post

****WARNING****
    VERY UN-PC JOKE BELOW, DON'T TAKE OFFENCE!!!

Question 1:
    How good are you at making tea and coffee?

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have a first class honours degree in both Tea and Coffee beverage creation techniques and am able to apply these skills to the workplace. I have three years' experience in this area and can now carry multiple BCDs (Beverage Containment Devices) at one time while tackling obstacles such as closed doors etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

1month bus pass, which works out at £840 a year.
    If you think a car is cheaper per annum then you are in for a massive shock.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast