+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, modern apprentice in General; Try quadrupaling that £840 per annum figure if you're about my age, 19......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: modern apprentice

Try quadrupaling that £840 per annum figure if you're about my age, 19...

Thank Post

I drive a 4x4 and it costs me maybe £75 - £100 a week. :cry:

Tea and coffee question noted, as an apprentice grease monkey I must have made 1,000s of cups, I'm pretty good now though

Thank Post

End up feeling like you work for a very cheap starbucks?

Chris

Thank Post

I wouldnt mind paying it so much if the bus service was reliable and didnt try to kill me, i've already been in one crash where a double decker slammed our bus into morrison carpark (bit of a drop down into it) and they break down all the time, damn southern vectis its bad enough being stuck around year 9's that are taller than me all day, I could do without it really lol!
    For those that are interested i'm on the isle of wight, so job opportunities are not the greatest here, so I feel a little bit lucky

Thank Post

Amazon world rocks!

Sorry to go off topic......

It's a shame we only have a relatively small network(around 320 stations+laptops, 700 users), because it would be interesting to have a stream of new ideas and thinking following.
    I have managed to fit in really well being an ex-student. It's kinda weird feeling really young comparitively to other staff, it really makes you work hard to earn their respect. After the initial "you obviously are inexperienced/not that good because you're young" sort of attitudes, I think i've managed to persuade pretty much all doubters that i'm pretty good at what I do!

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    I have managed to fit in really well being an ex-student. It's kinda weird feeling really young comparitively to other staff, it really makes you work hard to earn their respect. After the initial "you obviously are inexperienced/not that good because you're young" sort of attitudes, I think i've managed to persuade pretty much all doubters that i'm pretty good at what I do!

Chris
    Same boat here.. been "on the other side" for three years this month now

Thank Post

I started as an apprentice in 1999, left school and got onto a Modern Apprenticeship scheme (only just, I might add) as I didn't have the required number of GCSE A to C passes, but they took pity on me because they thought I could do it... and I did, as you will see below....

After alot of sweat \ hard work and commitment I completed my 3 year apprenticeship at a nearby college where I was also employed for the duration of the course, which involved me completing an NVQ Level 2 and 3 in IT Support and 5 Keyskills, which was quite an achievement for me as I wasn't really all that academically minded.

I was then taken on full time by the college (following the successful completion of my A.M.A) for a further year and completed the COMPTIA A+ Cert and an MCP, after which I decided to move on to hopefully gain further skills and experience, so I took up a post in a local school as an ICT Technician, where I also decided to also further my professional skills and complete my MCSA.

This year I decided it was about time I tried to further my academic quals so I signed on to the NASA course at Lancaster Uni, which I have just completed.... which I must say was an excellent and well structure course.

I have to say that I think the Modern Apprenticeship schemes are an excellent way to get in to a job as it allows you to gain real life work experience and a recognised qualification at the same time.... and I would deffinately recommend this route to any newbie wishing to take up a job as an ICT techie....

We don'ty actually employ Mod Apprentices here at our school at the moment although it has been something I have suggested in the past... pehaps it's something worth investigating..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12