+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Could be made to take 3 extra days holiday at Christmas in General; Had a general staff meeting with an SLT member present recently and he "floated" the idea of closing school for ...

Thank Post

Could be made to take 3 extra days holiday at Christmas

Had a general staff meeting with an SLT member present recently and he "floated" the idea of closing school for an extra 3 days at Christmas. I get 23 days a holiday a year, 3 of which have to be taken over Christmas. Adding these 3 extra days means 25% of my holidays would have to be taken in the depths of winter.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was a national "initiative". Has anyone else encountered this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not come across this, no. I thought school term dates (other than INSET days) were decided on an LEA level?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dates can be moved with agreement of the LA head puts in a request to LA if they wish to move the terms dates.

Russ

Thank Post
    Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Term dates aren't changing, SLT just want us to take a further 3 days out of our holiday allocation at Christmas.

Thank Post
    My place already is "shut" for the days between Christmas and new year. I talked to my line manager and agreed that I would "work from home" (mainly internet research) part of the time to preserve some holiday entitlement. However I always seem to have to arrange carry over as I can't take my Holiday anyway as there is to much work

Thank Post
    That's the situation we have here, 3 days shut down between Christmas and New Year, but the impression I get is that SLT are looking to have us take an extra 3 days out of our current allocation, i.e. 23 days - (3+3) = 17 days for the rest of the year. I'd prefer to have those 3 other days during summer, or at least a time convenient to myself and my family.

Thank Post
    We have to do the same here, although it doesn't bother me as much as I like to have Xmas off.

It does cheese me off though that I can only take my remaining holidays from a selection of 13 weeks when flights cost a fortune. Hopefully one day I'll leave the education industry and reap the rewards I see so many others get, such as flexitime, and holidays when it suits them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    That's the situation we have here, 3 days shut down between Christmas and New Year, but the impression I get is that SLT are looking to have us take an extra 3 days out of our current allocation, i.e. 23 days - (3+3) = 17 days for the rest of the year. I'd prefer to have those 3 other days during summer, or at least a time convenient to myself and my family.
    If the school is looking to close on efficiency grounds (save on heating, lighting the building for 3 workers for example) you could argue it is cheaper for the school to give you the time for free.

Otherwise you could look at accruing TOIL to use in the christmas closure.

Thank Post
    We're forced to take 3 days at Christmas - 4 days last year. Caretakers close the school - no choice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Check your contract. If there is a clause in there about having to take your holiday entitlement during school closure periods, then they have the right to enforce it. If there is no such clause, they do not.

Are you in a union? If not, join one now so you have someone to take this to come next winter.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    Had a general staff meeting with an SLT member present recently and he "floated" the idea of closing school for an extra 3 days at Christmas. I get 23 days a holiday a year, 3 of which have to be taken over Christmas. Adding these 3 extra days means 25% of my holidays would have to be taken in the depths of winter.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was a national "initiative". Has anyone else encountered this?
    Do you work full time, all year round (not term time)?

If so, why are you only getting 23 days a year? The statutory minimum for full time workers (which can include Bank & Public holidays) is currently 24, rising to 28 in April.

Our school closes over the Xmas break too, we get no choice either, and are forced to take holiday in the depths of winter.

I don't agree with it, and personally think we should be given a choice to work over the Xmas period or not. I would work as I don't 'do' Xmas and object to being forced to take holiday for what amounts to a religious festival.

Wonder if religious views would be a counter argument?
    Human Rights even!

The thing is, we moan about it here, but how many of us complain to our Trade Unions? If we all did, then the Unions would have to listen, and maybe force some changes.

Have you put your argument to SLT that you'd get little or no 'summer' leave if these changes were imposed? Speak to them first, if not, call your Union (you are in a Union?)

Our County Council are poo poo'ing the increase in entitlement.

I currently get 24 days plus Bank Holidays. When the minimum rises to 28 in April, I'll get 28 but this will include 4 Bank Holidays plus 4 further Bank Holidays.

Whilst they give me the extra Bank Holidays now, they aren't going to increase the allowance in April to accommodate a further 4 days, but are going to start using Bank Holidays as included entitlement. Because I still get over the minimum 28, there's jack I can complain about.

I took it up with Unison to see if any dialogue could be opened concerning this, and the local rep is more pro-management than he is member, so I gave up.

I resigned myself to doing all that is needed and no more, as hard work and extra unpaid hours get you nowhere in this game! It's rarely appreciated, so what's the point? I can't wait for the next round of pay negotiations. You can guarantee "credit crunch" will be a phrase bought into any conversation concerning pay rises!

</rant>

Can you tell it's Monday morning!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post

Our school closes over the Xmas break too, we get no choice either, and are forced to take holiday in the depths of winter.

I don't agree with it, and personally think we should be given a choice to work over the Xmas period or not. I would work as I don't 'do' Xmas and object to being forced to take holiday for what amounts to a religious festival.

Human Rights even!

The thing is, we moan about it here, but how many of us complain to our Trade Unions? If we all did, then the Unions would have to listen, and maybe force some changes.
    I don't disagree with you but I suspect that the majority of the population quite like having a long break at Christmas and you're unlikely to carry them with you. I appreciate that you can see that you're being forced to take a "religious" holiday but I don't think that there are many people who see it like that - it's just a time for people to waste money, have parties, see friends etc and anyone trying to change that will be seen as a killjoy :-)

Thank Post
    If so, why are you only getting 23 days a year? The statutory minimum for full time workers (which can include Bank & Public holidays) is currently 24, rising to 28 in April.
    You answered this one yourself. (Can include Bank & Public holidays.)

23 + 8 Stat days = 31

Thank Post
    Do you work full time, all year round (not term time)?

Human Rights even!

Have you put your argument to SLT that you'd get little or no 'summer' leave if these changes were imposed? Speak to them first, if not, call your Union (you are in a Union?)

Our County Council are poo poo'ing the increase in entitlement.

I currently get 24 days plus Bank Holidays. When the minimum rises to 28 in April, I'll get 28 but this will include 4 Bank Holidays plus 4 further Bank Holidays.

Whilst they give me the extra Bank Holidays now, they aren't going to increase the allowance in April to accommodate a further 4 days, but are going to start using Bank Holidays as included entitlement. Because I still get over the minimum 28, there's jack I can complain about.

I took it up with Unison to see if any dialogue could be opened concerning this, and the local rep is more pro-management than he is member, so I gave up.

I resigned myself to doing all that is needed and no more, as hard work and extra unpaid hours get you nowhere in this game! It's rarely appreciated, so what's the point? I can't wait for the next round of pay negotiations. You can guarantee "credit crunch" will be a phrase bought into any conversation concerning pay rises!

</rant>

Can you tell it's Monday morning!
    I'm in Unison and have passed it on to the rep. Ironically, she's on holiday using up all the entitlement she hasn't taken during the past year. I work full time and am allowed to take my holidays during term time so long as there's cover, though this doesn't usually amount to more than a week as I don't want to leave the other two techies to handle all the problems for more than that (I'm not being patronising to them either).
    My wife and I find it easier to take a week's holiday at Easter because of various commitments, but with this festival being such a moveable feast you can sometimes get a holiday year with no Easter holidays in it, and another with both Easters in it, further reducing entitlement. SLT don't like you carrying days over into the following year.

Thank Post
    The way we work the Xmas break is that we all work an extra hour a week above our contracted hours. This is banked and used between Xmas and New Year. The school is closed over the whole period.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast