+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Helpdesk... in General; Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey elsiegee and/or witch use a job book I think... You've got a good memory! In both ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    elsiegee and/or witch use a job book I think...
    You've got a good memory!

In both schools I have a pigeonhole with IT forms where they can note who, where what why etc. My IT coord is v good at throwing back any not filled in properly.
    I also get things by email and corridor requests.
    I write down every type of request in a day book - date, rough outline etc that has room for a 'date completed' and a tickbox. This way I don't forget stuff and if I have a minute left after the firefighting, I can look back to find a longer term issue that I can tackle.
    I would love an electronic help desk, and one of my schools is very comfy with email so they are getting closer - but the other one...no where near yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    if they don't follow the rules, then don't fix it! they'll learn.
    we have one email that forwards to many.
    one thing i like about the system we are trialling is that there is a common pool of calls, that you can take ownership of for a while, contribute to and then release if need be.
    we were finding that sometimes jobs were left untouched, or everybody changed the password and it was done 3 times!
    Generally what I do is reply to the mail (saying "OK I've fixed it" or "Will sort it out next week when the room is free" or whatever) and copy it to the list, hence it goes to everyone else in the team and they know that it's being dealt with (and, equally, should they need to finish a job off for some reason they're kept up to date with it).

I've had staff that outright refuse to use email as an official channel of communication yet spend all day sending jokes / chainmail to eachother.
    I remember last summer we had a spate of Year 7s sending chainmail around. A member of SMT announced in briefing that such mail was unacceptable and that staff should warn students not to do it. A few weeks later one of their SMT colleagues sent one to all staff!

We have seen an increase in email usage, but there are still those who refuse to touch it. My take on it now is that I'll email people, if they don't reply, then it's them who's losing out, and if that causes them hassle in the future - that's their problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    I remember last summer we had a spate of Year 7s sending chainmail around. A member of SMT announced in briefing that such mail was unacceptable and that staff should warn students not to do it. A few weeks later one of their SMT colleagues sent one to all staff!
    I see chain mail all the time. It starts with just one person sending it to the rest of the office, then it gets circulated to small groups of friends. And on. And on. And on. There is so much redundancy i wonder how the exchange server copes, especially with all those massive images. I tried to explain once about how 2MB in and 2MB sent out of email for all 250 staff was like 1GB extra to back up just because of 1 email, but i met deaf ears.

Anyway,

Like i said, i have used chain mail successfully to get people to start using email, and once they've jokingly or otherwise replied to you, they can't use the excuse that they don't know how to use email. Of course, i still did have to run courses for the truly challenged.

A well developed online system has to be the way to go. Another feature i'm really looking forward to is the ability for a user to search the knowledge base for similar calls. I think mylittlehelpdesk can also do it automatically, similar to when you start a thread on here and it lists all with similar names.

It's very powerful to be able to show a user their previous calls, as it hopefully prevents them from making the same lazy whining calls to you, but also empowers them to start troubleshooting their own issues. Would you believe we still get calls from the secondary ICT teacher saying "computer wont work" or "can't print"!!!

Thank Post

Paper, Email and Intranet

I have trays with printed out forms on the door of my room.

Top tray is blank forms.

Second tray is forms that have been filled in with problem, location, name of the person reporting the problem.

Third tray is for me when I have sorted the problem I keep the slips for reference.

All members of staff can also email me, along with using a Helpdesk page on the Intranet, all work fine apart from one problem, no one hardly ever uses them

It drives me mad, the ex headmaster was excellent, he tried to push the use of all the methods but it seems people would rather stop me in the corridor and take 5-10 minutes of my time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabba View Post
    It drives me mad, the ex headmaster was excellent, he tried to push the use of all the methods but it seems people would rather stop me in the corridor and take 5-10 minutes of my time.
    Always carry a screwdriver in your hand, your mobile phone and a CD. If you see anyone coming . .. RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabba View Post
    Second tray is forms that have been filled in with problem, location, name of the person reporting the problem.
    I used to have forms too (attached), but as you say, they are just rarely used.

Don't expect the head to lead by example. The other day, the Head of Primary School, put an announcement out over the school wide loudspeaker asking me to go to his office as it was an emergency.

When i got there, he just wanted me to write the COUNTIF formula for him on some data he'd exported from SIMS. I can't even justify logging that because my remit ends at SIMS and the Intranet!!

To top it off, we run internal International Computer Driving Licence courses in Excel!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    I see chain mail all the time. It starts with just one person sending it to the rest of the office, then it gets circulated to small groups of friends. And on. And on. And on. There is so much redundancy i wonder how the exchange server copes, especially with all those massive images. I tried to explain once about how 2MB in and 2MB sent out of email for all 250 staff was like 1GB extra to back up just because of 1 email, but i met deaf ears.
    We have another HoD who sends glitzy newsletters... in Word format... as an attatchment... to all 1500ish users. *grumble*

Always carry a screwdriver in your hand, your mobile phone and a CD. If you see anyone coming . .. RUN!
    I have taken to carrying a patch lead, network cable tester and screwdriver with me when going to the loo. The route from our office to the staff loos takes me past two departments, the main office, the staffroom and an SMT members office. Being sick of being collared on the way I took to carrying said items so if anyone asks me I'm "busy on an important job" .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12