+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, what information do the auditors need for IT equipment in General; I keep a spreadsheet detailing every PC - serial number, hardware spec, location, etc - for my own purposes; auditors ...
    Thank Post
    I keep a spreadsheet detailing every PC - serial number, hardware spec, location, etc - for my own purposes; auditors have never asked to see it, although have occasionally asked to be shown things on the asset register (including me opening the door so they could verify we still have the server!).

The Police have asked for serial numbers following thefts, the insurance company wants replacement costs not purchase prices anyway.

I don't count keyboards and mice, etc - instead I make the assumption that each computer has precisely one of each...

PEO
    Thank Post
    we have always in the past written the serial number for both keyboard and mouse... bit of a nightmare.. is this necessary?

Thank Post
    our rule is anything over 50quid goes on the list, unfortunately we have special needs keyboards everywhere tht cost £75 pain in the neck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    I will be moving to barcode asset management when it is part of my little helpdesk so that all the info I need is in once location.

Does your lea have an approved solution for your asset management? Allthough as you've discussed things with the auditors then they are happy.

If a claim was required then you would need to provide serial numbers etc... however if the cost of a claim is less than the excess the school has to pay then they might as well just buy the replacement item outright. This could mean that anything under £150 is not recorded.

Ben

Thank Post
    Ok, question from the peanut gallery. What benefit does a barcode system bring? We do the same as Nick, have a spreadsheet that has everything in. We make sure we update it when changes happen & do random checks on rooms just to make sure all is well. It works and have always been able to find the info if ever needed. Just pondering, apart from flash value, why?

On a keyboards and mice moment, nope we don't track them. We know every PC has one.

Thank Post
    Speed and easy to do an annual stock check.

Ben

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I will be moving to barcode asset management when it is part of my little helpdesk so that all the info I need is in once location.

Does your lea have an approved solution for your asset management? Allthough as you've discussed things with the auditors then they are happy.

If a claim was required then you would need to provide serial numbers etc... however if the cost of a claim is less than the excess the school has to pay then they might as well just buy the replacement item outright. This could mean that anything under £150 is not recorded.

Ben
    yeah its all coded in house, its supposed to be rubbish.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Ok, question from the peanut gallery. What benefit does a barcode system bring? We do the same as Nick, have a spreadsheet that has everything in. We make sure we update it when changes happen & do random checks on rooms just to make sure all is well. It works and have always been able to find the info if ever needed. Just pondering, apart from flash value, why?

On a keyboards and mice moment, nope we don't track them. We know every PC has one.
    Just had a chat with the finance officer, and she says every kb and mouse needs to be recorded.

mouse £5 times that by 1500 computers and it all adds up. Rubbishnes

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    The missus worked at an FE college for a while, and one of her "tasks" was to create a web based inventory system for consumables etc, based on barcodes IIRC.

I asked her how they did the inventory, as doing ours honks me off every year. They asset tag/barcode the kit, and then put one on each room say..on the top of the doorframe, out of the way.

That way, you beep the room, system says "you have "x" in there"..etc.

You could always create the barcodes yourself...there are lots of programmes capable of it..although if you did it room based you could always just use the codes already on the machinery from manufacturing, could you not? They will be unique, after all..
    Think I will take that idea of adding barcode to each room, ontop of all the other barcodes for each device.

Thank Post
    Yes pc's and monitors normally have a barcode on them but smaller items won't

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Just had a chat with the finance officer, and she says every kb and mouse needs to be recorded.

mouse £5 times that by 1500 computers and it all adds up. Rubbishnes
    That's rubbishness of the highest order! The keyboard is part of the computer, not a separate item. It is an integral part of the system, without which it will not function. Should you also put bar codes on the power lead too, as at £1 each, 1500 of them is quite an investment too?

If you added a DVD drive to a computer it would become part of that machine and the PC with DVD drive would be a single asset item, you wouldn't record it separately and put two stickers on the PC, would you.

Ask your Finance Manager if you are also recording every pen, Post-It note, staple and sheet of toilet paper (insert joke about "logging" things here) as those collectively cost a lot of money too...

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    That's rubbishness of the highest order! The keyboard is part of the computer, not a separate item. It is an integral part of the system, without which it will not function. Should you also put bar codes on the power lead too, as at £1 each, 1500 of them is quite an investment too?

If you added a DVD drive to a computer it would become part of that machine and the PC with DVD drive would be a single asset item, you wouldn't record it separately and put two stickers on the PC, would you.

Ask your Finance Manager if you are also recording every pen, Post-It note, staple and sheet of toilet paper (insert joke about "logging" things here) as those collectively cost a lot of money too...
    lol will do that....

Thank Post
    If we recorded every single keyboard and mouse we'd be there all day.

At the moment the annual audit is basically me going around each piece of kit and ticking it off the database, adding/removing where necessary. It would be so much quicker if you could go round a room scanning barcodes, then compare that with the list of what *should* be in the room. And when scrapping a batch of monitors, instead of scribbling numbers on post-it notes, scanning all the barcodes and setting all those as 'scrapped'.

Bog standard paper labels is an idea if we put them somewhere that kids can't/are unlikely to go, perhaps with some clear tape (outdoor grade stuff?) covering them to prevent some damage.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    If we recorded every single keyboard and mouse we'd be there all day.

At the moment the annual audit is basically me going around each piece of kit and ticking it off the database, adding/removing where necessary. It would be so much quicker if you could go round a room scanning barcodes, then compare that with the list of what *should* be in the room. And when scrapping a batch of monitors, instead of scribbling numbers on post-it notes, scanning all the barcodes and setting all those as 'scrapped'.

Bog standard paper labels is an idea if we put them somewhere that kids can't/are unlikely to go, perhaps with some clear tape (outdoor grade stuff?) covering them to prevent some damage.
    Looking forward to getting it all setup, It will take a little time but once done It will have its rewards. I will be using simple stick labels were possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Depends what on la and school it was agreed that for us as a school it is anything over £100.

Russ
    It used to be £50 per item or more here but the LA guidelines now states £25 this year. They also specifically ask to record easily stolen items such as calculators etc.

I don't however record mice, keyboards etc. At the end of the day if we have a break-in and 30 computers from a room go missing I know they are 30 keyboards / mice to go with them. Not that the burglar will envoy cutting all the cable ties off etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast