+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
General Chat Thread, what information do the auditors need for IT equipment in General; I keep a spreadsheet detailing every PC - serial number, hardware spec, location, etc - for my own purposes; auditors ...
  1. #16
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    I keep a spreadsheet detailing every PC - serial number, hardware spec, location, etc - for my own purposes; auditors have never asked to see it, although have occasionally asked to be shown things on the asset register (including me opening the door so they could verify we still have the server!).

    The Police have asked for serial numbers following thefts, the insurance company wants replacement costs not purchase prices anyway.

    I don't count keyboards and mice, etc - instead I make the assumption that each computer has precisely one of each...

  2. #17
    PEO
    PEO is offline
    PEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,095
    Thank Post
    457
    Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    we have always in the past written the serial number for both keyboard and mouse... bit of a nightmare.. is this necessary?

  3. #18
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,210
    Thank Post
    434
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    our rule is anything over 50quid goes on the list, unfortunately we have special needs keyboards everywhere tht cost £75 pain in the neck

  4. #19

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,727
    Thank Post
    667
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Rep Power
    424
    I will be moving to barcode asset management when it is part of my little helpdesk so that all the info I need is in once location.

    Does your lea have an approved solution for your asset management? Allthough as you've discussed things with the auditors then they are happy.

    If a claim was required then you would need to provide serial numbers etc... however if the cost of a claim is less than the excess the school has to pay then they might as well just buy the replacement item outright. This could mean that anything under £150 is not recorded.

    Ben

  5. #20

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,293
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 406 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    162
    Ok, question from the peanut gallery. What benefit does a barcode system bring? We do the same as Nick, have a spreadsheet that has everything in. We make sure we update it when changes happen & do random checks on rooms just to make sure all is well. It works and have always been able to find the info if ever needed. Just pondering, apart from flash value, why?

    On a keyboards and mice moment, nope we don't track them. We know every PC has one.

  6. #21

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,727
    Thank Post
    667
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Rep Power
    424
    Speed and easy to do an annual stock check.

    Ben

  7. #22
    PEO
    PEO is offline
    PEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,095
    Thank Post
    457
    Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I will be moving to barcode asset management when it is part of my little helpdesk so that all the info I need is in once location.

    Does your lea have an approved solution for your asset management? Allthough as you've discussed things with the auditors then they are happy.

    If a claim was required then you would need to provide serial numbers etc... however if the cost of a claim is less than the excess the school has to pay then they might as well just buy the replacement item outright. This could mean that anything under £150 is not recorded.

    Ben
    yeah its all coded in house, its supposed to be rubbish.

  8. #23
    PEO
    PEO is offline
    PEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,095
    Thank Post
    457
    Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Ok, question from the peanut gallery. What benefit does a barcode system bring? We do the same as Nick, have a spreadsheet that has everything in. We make sure we update it when changes happen & do random checks on rooms just to make sure all is well. It works and have always been able to find the info if ever needed. Just pondering, apart from flash value, why?

    On a keyboards and mice moment, nope we don't track them. We know every PC has one.
    Just had a chat with the finance officer, and she says every kb and mouse needs to be recorded.

    mouse £5 times that by 1500 computers and it all adds up. Rubbishnes

  9. #24
    PEO
    PEO is offline
    PEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,095
    Thank Post
    457
    Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    The missus worked at an FE college for a while, and one of her "tasks" was to create a web based inventory system for consumables etc, based on barcodes IIRC.

    I asked her how they did the inventory, as doing ours honks me off every year. They asset tag/barcode the kit, and then put one on each room say..on the top of the doorframe, out of the way.

    That way, you beep the room, system says "you have "x" in there"..etc.

    You could always create the barcodes yourself...there are lots of programmes capable of it..although if you did it room based you could always just use the codes already on the machinery from manufacturing, could you not? They will be unique, after all..
    Think I will take that idea of adding barcode to each room, ontop of all the other barcodes for each device.

  10. #25

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,727
    Thank Post
    667
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Rep Power
    424
    Yes pc's and monitors normally have a barcode on them but smaller items won't

    Ben

  11. #26
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Just had a chat with the finance officer, and she says every kb and mouse needs to be recorded.

    mouse £5 times that by 1500 computers and it all adds up. Rubbishnes
    That's rubbishness of the highest order! The keyboard is part of the computer, not a separate item. It is an integral part of the system, without which it will not function. Should you also put bar codes on the power lead too, as at £1 each, 1500 of them is quite an investment too?

    If you added a DVD drive to a computer it would become part of that machine and the PC with DVD drive would be a single asset item, you wouldn't record it separately and put two stickers on the PC, would you.

    Ask your Finance Manager if you are also recording every pen, Post-It note, staple and sheet of toilet paper (insert joke about "logging" things here) as those collectively cost a lot of money too...

  12. #27
    PEO
    PEO is offline
    PEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,095
    Thank Post
    457
    Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    That's rubbishness of the highest order! The keyboard is part of the computer, not a separate item. It is an integral part of the system, without which it will not function. Should you also put bar codes on the power lead too, as at £1 each, 1500 of them is quite an investment too?

    If you added a DVD drive to a computer it would become part of that machine and the PC with DVD drive would be a single asset item, you wouldn't record it separately and put two stickers on the PC, would you.

    Ask your Finance Manager if you are also recording every pen, Post-It note, staple and sheet of toilet paper (insert joke about "logging" things here) as those collectively cost a lot of money too...
    lol will do that....

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the north
    Posts
    351
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    If we recorded every single keyboard and mouse we'd be there all day.

    At the moment the annual audit is basically me going around each piece of kit and ticking it off the database, adding/removing where necessary. It would be so much quicker if you could go round a room scanning barcodes, then compare that with the list of what *should* be in the room. And when scrapping a batch of monitors, instead of scribbling numbers on post-it notes, scanning all the barcodes and setting all those as 'scrapped'.

    Bog standard paper labels is an idea if we put them somewhere that kids can't/are unlikely to go, perhaps with some clear tape (outdoor grade stuff?) covering them to prevent some damage.

  14. #29
    PEO
    PEO is offline
    PEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,095
    Thank Post
    457
    Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    If we recorded every single keyboard and mouse we'd be there all day.

    At the moment the annual audit is basically me going around each piece of kit and ticking it off the database, adding/removing where necessary. It would be so much quicker if you could go round a room scanning barcodes, then compare that with the list of what *should* be in the room. And when scrapping a batch of monitors, instead of scribbling numbers on post-it notes, scanning all the barcodes and setting all those as 'scrapped'.

    Bog standard paper labels is an idea if we put them somewhere that kids can't/are unlikely to go, perhaps with some clear tape (outdoor grade stuff?) covering them to prevent some damage.
    Looking forward to getting it all setup, It will take a little time but once done It will have its rewards. I will be using simple stick labels were possible.

  15. #30

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,215
    Thank Post
    372
    Thanked 380 Times in 338 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Depends what on la and school it was agreed that for us as a school it is anything over £100.

    Russ
    It used to be £50 per item or more here but the LA guidelines now states £25 this year. They also specifically ask to record easily stolen items such as calculators etc.

    I don't however record mice, keyboards etc. At the end of the day if we have a break-in and 30 computers from a room go missing I know they are 30 keyboards / mice to go with them. Not that the burglar will envoy cutting all the cable ties off etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Information on uniservity
    By FN-GM in forum Learning Network Manager
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 15th January 2010, 08:28 PM
  2. Help on new equipment
    By DSapseid in forum Hardware
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 10:28 AM
  3. [Wanted] IT Equipment
    By flashsnaps in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th March 2008, 07:27 PM
  4. TV Information System
    By BKGarry in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th October 2007, 05:30 PM
  5. Helpful information for you all.
    By Dos_Box in forum Windows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27th September 2005, 08:01 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •