+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why the ...girl thing? in General; removed entirely - more censorship please...

Thank Post

Re: Why the ...girl thing?

removed entirely - more censorship please

Thank Post

@grumbledook
    I wanted to believe your unusually detailed knowledge of ironing was really due to your stint in The Army.

Thank Post

@grumbledook: You mean you sent your brother?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

My wife has told me to explain that I am not a transvestite ... not even at weekends ... and that my sense of humour is still missing, presumed ordering a pizza.

Being serious though ... in most of the online groups I have come very few where there hasn't been a general presumption that the Geeky people haven't all blokes ... alt.fan.pratchett perhaps ... the Open University is another ...

Even when I was at the training depot for Army Clerks (where there was a ratio of 60:40 female to male trainees) it was predominantly male in the training school, especially in the IT related areas.

A shame ... and hopefully we are starting to see a change.

Then again ... I have recently had to stop a member of my team forcing me to make a decision about who to interview. Helen (website manager) was insisting I employ a female so that when our student placement (Tina) leaves at the end of the summer there will still be another female on the team. Thankfully I could hide behind the school's policy on sexual discrimination.

We only had 1 female applicant for the Asst Net Man job out of 9 ... and only 1 for the student placement job out of 17.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Ok ... time to own up ... I'll stop being anonymous now ...

I am actually female and have been sending out my brother to all the evenets where people think they have seen me.

My real name is Mandy and I love being a Geek.

Mandy, you're going bald y'know!

Thank Post

@IndieGirl

Gender issues aside, how did you go from an English stundent to IT geek.

Was it always something in the background?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In our LA the central IT Team is about 50% female - seems it's positively encouraged and is no weaker for being so.

We have strong proffessionals working as programmers, Network Team Leader, WAN Security, Trainers and Desktop Support.

Masculine and feminine traits which are different in all of us go to make a full picture; what's the point of discussion if you don't have all sides represented?

IT is a hugely wide discipline nowadays and I think it would be narrow minded and detrimental to the industry to preclude our female counterparts from it.

Thank Post

My glasses dont have frames (but the arms and bridge are made from titanium ) and my hair doesnt require "kemping" (does it itself if i keep it short enough) hence is unkempt.

I suppose that only makes me 50% geek :'(

Thank Post

Don't worry Joe. You're inside on lovely summer's day, posting on IT an fourm .
    That's geek enough

Thank Post

w00t ( i suppose saying that makes me a little more geek too )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

w00t is acceptably geekish ... be wary of those that say k3w1, zarjaz or 'take me to your leader!'

Thank Post

I wonder if... the gender ratio had been different in the early days of IT development, whether the architecture of PCs, operating systems and networks would have been different, reflecting the differences between M&F brains.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I don't find teaching as a female-dominated role at all. Certainly, for me, teaching makes me think of very old-school professors cloaked up - after all, many, many moons ago learning was something that boys were encouraged to do, and women not so. Maybe my experience of secondary schools leads me to think this, but I find teaching a very balanced profession indeed. This may have shifted over the years, certainly.. and for me - primary schools are certainly more female-oriented places. It's to do with the nuture thing we women (supposedly) harbour.
    I do agree it is more balanced now and yes primary sector still very female based also we have grown into a culture where if male teacher wants to work in primary school they are looked upon with that look of "are they some kind of pervert".

But still most of the time unless its a boys school general rule women teacher outnumber male.

and @Tony

Well not lot can say to that??

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat
    @IndieGirl

Gender issues aside, how did you go from an English stundent to IT geek.

Was it always something in the background?
    It was sheer luck, actually - I always had a keen interest in IT all through school, but was at school before IT really came into the curriculum - there was no GCSE nor A Level at my school in IT. So I went with what I got the highest grades in... at uni too. (couldn't afford to stop my course and start on a new one halfway through!)

I just got a v lucky break by getting onto a large corporate bank's Graduate IT Scheme, and it kind of panned from there, really... even then, I was the only girl in my team of 20, until another woman joined us alongside 3 other men... so we were 1:11 females to males in that particular team!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    I wonder if... the gender ratio had been different in the early days of IT development, whether the architecture of PCs, operating systems and networks would have been different, reflecting the differences between M&F brains.
    I fully believe that it probably would've had a massive influence on how things were developed. Heck - only now are we seeing 'pretty' OS's like Vista coming out . Seriously though, I wonder what the chances are in 50 years' time of seeing a female equivalent of Bill Gates??

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I don't find teaching as a female-dominated role at all. Certainly, for me, teaching makes me think of very old-school professors cloaked up - after all, many, many moons ago learning was something that boys were encouraged to do, and women not so. Maybe my experience of secondary schools leads me to think this, but I find teaching a very balanced profession indeed. This may have shifted over the years, certainly.. and for me - primary schools are certainly more female-oriented places. It's to do with the nuture thing we women (supposedly) harbour.
    my experience as someone who was a governor at a primary school was that few males applied for teaching posts, and this was seen as a problem as there were no/very few positive male role models for pupils. However, when it comes to primary school heads the proportion of males to females is much higher. when I think back to my own time at primary school (late '50's early '60's) the only male there was the head. someone somewhere's probably done a paper on it.
    as the father of 2 daughters I've always been keen to stress that they are at least the equal of any male, except when it comes to housework, neither of them being able to hold a candle to my ironing skills. I don't like to boast, but...(cont. page 94)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast