+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Can an employer just give you time in lieu in General; Hi all, Long story short! My workmate and technician has been asked to work past his finish time on several ...
    Thank Post

Can an employer just give you time in lieu

Hi all,
    Long story short!
    My workmate and technician has been asked to work past his finish time on several occasions and has been told he cannot claim overtime but can have time in lieu.

Are there any rules on getting more than the time back e.g time and a half?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Overtime : Directgov - Employment

Overtime pay

There's no legal right to pay for working extra hours, and there are no minimum statutory levels of overtime pay, although your average pay rate must not fall below the National Minimum Wage. Your contract of employment should include details of overtime pay rates and how they're worked out.

Overtime rates vary from employer to employer, some will pay extra for working weekends or Bank Holidays, and others won't.

Time off instead of pay for working overtime

Instead of paying for overtime, some employers offer 'time off in lieu' (TOIL). This is agreed between you and your employer, and any time you take off will normally be at a time that suits the employer. Some companies have rules on when time off can be taken, but others arrange time off on a case by case basis.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    a lot of contracts always say that you are obliged to work an extra half hour per day. after that you should negotiate for overtime. there should be established rates within your county. like time and a half on saturday, double on sunday. not sure about weekdays, probably depends on total time done.

as for T.O.I.L it's usually 1:1 but again you can negotiate practically anything with the head. just make sure you get it in writing.

the trick is to stop agreeing to extra work until you have an agreement or something in writing that establishes your recompense. that way you can refuse if they don't keep up their end of the bargain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,742 Posts
    Exactly as ninjabeaver said.

Overtime agreements should be in your contract. Our school do pay overtime, but only ever at your standard hourly rate. In the current economic climate we are being encouraged to take TOIL instead where it can be done sensibly without impacting our work.

In my case (I am part-time) I am doing this as it suits me to have more flexible working hours. I'm off all day on Thursday while a new carpet is being laid and someone repairs our garden fence!

Thank Post
    Some schools are notorious for not paying the going rate for extra work by support staff.

Unless someone goes to court and a LOT of publicity is generated - nothing wil ever change.

Its not worth tinkering at the edges - either negoiate a deal or leave but don't bother moaning to the head (except to release the pressure ).

Having said that, I have several of my schools who are more than willing to pay me overtime when I ask for it - so they are not all bad - but the bad ones (that I've heard of ) are very bad

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I work every other Saturday to provide cover for students, staff for Saturday school 08:30 - 12:30, only half a day. However this is Saturday, none working week for me and my contract, my contract says I may have TOIL, but doesnt say I have to work this Saturday.

Why do I get 1:1 for this time, when its clearly a Saturday outside my normal working hours. My boss whose is Head of DT as well says it should be 1:1, but I disagree, he gets massive amounts of time off, and this clearly covers having to work Saturday, he is on a teachers contract, not support staff and doesn't see my point in the matter.

Overtime is 1:1.5, why isn't TOIL. Its absurd, and I'm actually gaining momentum to refusing to work Saturdays on this basis.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I usually get time off in exchange for overtime. Suits me just fine tbh.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If employed by LA then you can and head can't stop you (well he can refuse to sign the overtime sheet and you can refuse to work as he asked for overtime) as most LA are part of lga and I am sure being paid for overtime is in it.

Small note once reach certain grade then you have to take time off instead of being paid.

Phone LA payroll department they can tell you..

Also get official overtime form and read it carefully as there is often one rate if on end of your normal hours, another rate if break between your normal hours and your overtime, another if past certain time..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    If employed by LA then you can and head can't stop you (well he can refuse to sign the overtime sheet and you can refuse to work as he asked for overtime) as most LA are part of lga and I am sure being paid for overtime is in it.
    Thanks Russ, but what is the LGA?

Thank Post
    Local Government Association, I think.

For us overtime is plain time up to 39 hours per week - any hours after that time and a half. I was told this last week, having been paid plain time despite putting in a few long weeks over the summer. Ho hum.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes that is group all la belong to and they decide with unions over terms and pay % increases. The terms is in what is called the green boox and then la often have extra stuff on top of that but green book should be the minimum terms la staff have.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread