+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, NTL @ home in General; Hi, does anyone have broadband from NTL at there home, the speed for the 2mb was going to go up ...

Thank Post

NTL @ home

Hi,

does anyone have broadband from NTL at there home, the speed for the 2mb was going to go up to 4mb and i was wondering if anyone's had been upgraded yet?

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: NTL @ home

Nope. But I did get a 50% cost reduction by phoning customer service and saying I was thinking of going to TalkTalk...

Thank Post

yea ive got that reduction aswell cause i had a few issues with them and told them that the service was crap and i was thinking about moving

Thank Post

We're on their 1MB broadband - not gonna change it just yet as we'll be moving house in a few months.

After we move i'm looking at getting the speed increased and if possible a static IP too.

Thank Post

do NTL do static IP for home users? im not sure if they do, and if they do, will you have to pay extra?

I wouldnt mind getting a static IP address

Thank Post

What are your experiences of ntl? I have a mate who has it and he seems to have is service down more than its up..

Thank Post

well the problem that i had was, ive been with them since they started, so a good few years now, and my modem was old and coming to the end of its life, and they said this was the reason i was having a lot of down time.... so they said engineers would come and they never turned up on the days they were ment to come.....

so they asked me to pay for a modem upgrade, which i wasnt pleased about at all... and that was thrown back in there face, along with there poor service to keeping to there times....

so i complained about that to the customer services and basically i was offered either the 10MB broadband at 25.99 or to stay on the 2mb broadband and they half the price, so i decided to say at 2mb...

when u kick up a fuss with them, they do something about it, thats my experence from the past...

one example... the council dug up the road and took out my cable connection, told ntl and they said it was up to the council to pay, which i told them thats not my problem... and then they gave me a date ( 3 weeks later) to come and fix it, and i said i wanted to leave, and believe it or not they were at home the next day...

Thank Post

Been with them 18 months, and apart from one dept saying they would install on "Day X", and street digging gang saying "Day Y", I haven't had any problems.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by apeo
    What are your experiences of ntl? I have a mate who has it and he seems to have is service down more than its up..
    I've had nothing but utter crap off them!

Ordered triple plan online, got an email saying I wasn't in an NTL area, rang them up pointing out that the shop below me has an NTL phoneline and I live on the main road in my area, and there's an NTL green cabinet less then 50 meters away. Surely there has to be some duct going past my property somewhere!

They said whoops, our mistake, we'll get it installed next week, that date comes and goes still no NTL. I rang them they said that the recent block paving of some shops inbetween me and the green box had sealed up their access hatches. So they said they had to notify the council and do the work on a Sunday to keep fuss to a minimum.

They come a few weeks later, poke the floor with some rods and go, I hear nothing for a few days so I ring them, they say they need an actual consturction crew as the duct is damaged.

Again a few weeks later they come and fix the problem and install the services. The idiot who came to install my phone line drilled from the outsite in and knocked a load of plaster off the wall, he then said he would come back and fix it, which he didnt.

Now they keep billing me twice for my Family Pack Digital TV and Broadband, every month I ring them up, they remove the second family pack from my account and my digital TV goes off, I ring them back up and explain, they appologise and I get the channels back. EVERY MONTH!

I fired a letter off to NTL by Recorded Delivery, I got a letter from Royal Mail a few days later saying they refused it, so I sent it Special Delivery, 3 weeks later I got a letter saying someone would look into my complaint. 3 weeks on, I've heard nothing.

Oh and there was the time my digital TV went on holiday, rang up NTL and they explained there was a break in a local cable and it should be fixed soon. Funny that I was ringing them from my NTL land line and my Internet was still working, they then changed the story.

They're almost as bad as Powergen who took 4 months to merge my Gas and Electricity accounts onto one bill, every week I would ring up, explain what I want them to do, every week I would get the same answer, "It'll be done in 5-7 days".

END RANT

Thank Post

NTHell... don't get me started!!

(nor about Powergen!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have been through the NTL problems ... and compared with BT I still think they are better.

As for Powergen ... I am glad I moved to British Gas ... they may be a few pounds more each year (and only a few) but at least they get the bills right, my name right, my address right, and actually call you back if you need them too.

The problem I have with NTL is that when we have a brown out they need to reset the local exchange otherwise things are pants ... if they work at all ...

And they always want to send an engineer to my house to check it ... and then say that they have not had problems from anyone else ... and the fact that I am using my mobile to ring and tell them of a problem because none of the local phones are working doesn't explain why?

Thank Post

I think the amount of ranting about NTHell should suggest to Nij that they're perhaps not a viable option ;-)

Thank Post

Don't think that BT are any better. The amount of sh1t my folks went through after requesting what should have been a simple change was quite untrue!

Thank Post

WEll im with Telewest who have been swallowed up and i have noticed a drop in service quality over the last year so god help us all...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm going to go against the flow here and sing NTL's praises. I've been with them coming on for five years and have had broadband for about three. Yes, there has been downtime but whenever I've called NTL I've got through to them quickly, if they've had to send engineers out (which they've done twice) the engineer has appeared when they said he would and got the problem sorted. I couldn't be happier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast