+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, NTL @ home in General; OK - here's my 2p worth - been with them about 5 years, and have 95% of the time found ...

Thank Post

Re: NTL @ home

OK - here's my 2p worth - been with them about 5 years, and have 95% of the time found the connection extremely reliable and fast. Alas the customer service and add ons (email servers, news servers etc) have been unspeakably bad at times - so I pay extra and get those elsewhere.

The 2MB connection rarely gives less than 240k download speeds, which I appreciate, having seen the local ADSL speed which is pants.

My IP address has changed twice in 2 years

I only pay by electronic transfer after we had a difference of opinions about billing

NTL : "It is not our policy to correct an incorrect billing"
    Me : "Its not my policy to pay an incorrect billing"

They are supposed to charge extra for this - but are so badly organised that they never have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

Trying to logon to yahoo mail ( Parents are with NTL for internet ) and we share internet via Belkind54G router and there is a belkin wireless range extender.

I can now get to the yahoo mail page but it refuses to let me logon ( wtf !! ) ??

Thank Post

I thought I better say that although my experience with NTL customer services has been less than helpful, when it works their service is excellent. When I lived with my parents we had broadband for 5 years with not a single problem, no billing errors or anything.

Even though I'm still waiting for someone to get back to me about my many months of problems for what I pay to NTL I get what I want cheaper than having to go to BT for a landline, Sky for TV and someone else for DSL.

Thank Post

OK, weighing in for the :thumbup: side now. I've had 2 outages with NTL in 3 years. One was due to their lame billing department who happily accepted my direct debits for 4 months without telling me that my initial payment hadn't gone through - then cut me off without any warning or explanation at all. I had that sorted out in less than a day.

On the plus side, their speeds are exactly as promised for me. I get a rock solid 3mbps download. Unfortunately the 10mbit upgrade they started advertising in December hasn't materialised and it seems I'm now paying more than the 4mbit customers for slower speeds.

Why am I pro-NTL then? Just because I've found the quality of the connection to be very good - fast, dependable if not the cheapest. I'm on about my 4th IP address in 3 years.

Thank Post

I nearly had an argument with an Ntl "engineer" over the phone, we had no internet for about a week (with spots of connection), phoned up, and the guy kept insisting our wireless network wasn't configured right and to use the "windows internet connection wizard" and I basically said what the f*** will that do, my wireless network works, and I'm a professional network technician. Basically we said shove it, can't be bothered with all this.

Couple minutes we phoned to cancel, and this person was much more helpful and actually told us the correct "initiation IP" or whatever it is, and it worked.

I can't stand engineers who know f*** all, and just have a list of instructions to speel off to you!

Chris

Thank Post

Mind you, apart from that rough patch, it's generally pretty reliable.

I have a relative that works for ntl, and one problem is the "hubs" (let's call them exchanges, sounds better) they are using are all old cable and wireless, meaning they're starting to break, and are over subscribed, don't have the money etc to replace them, so i'm not sure what it's going to be like in the future.

Chris

Thank Post

I've been with them for the best part of 18 months in general they been okay but when there is a problem they always point the finger to your computer eg my internet connection really sucks whats the matter with it. i get the response it must be your computer

this gets really annoying when 3 other people in your area are having the same problem.

and jsut lately my connection is faster but seems to be down more than its up. :twisted:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12