+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Legalities of P2P Downloads in General; So, sharing a publicly broadcasted show after it has aired is illegal?...

Thank Post
    So, sharing a publicly broadcasted show after it has aired is illegal?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ...yes

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

CHR1S (22nd January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    So, sharing a publicly broadcasted show after it has aired is illegal?
    Yep - there was a website that got shut down fairly quickly where users used the site as a kind of communal DVR.

Of course, limited sharing is allowed through "official channels" such as the P2P elements of iPlayer and 4OD.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the info guys (and galls?)
    It just seems really stupid to me, you can PVR MOTD or News at 10 to your PC and its legal but download the exact same show off a P2P of your choice and your breaking the law.
    ho hum lol

Thank Post
    I think it's more to do with protecting the value of the broadcasts. The networks have no control over P2P, whereas with their own solutions include time limits and mean that they can only offer media when they want to - so people can "catch up" but not watch the DVD for free, for instance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I think it's more to do with protecting the value of the broadcasts. The networks have no control over P2P, whereas with their own solutions include time limits and mean that they can only offer media when they want to - so people can "catch up" but not watch the DVD for free, for instance.
    So this is my point im trying to make, how is watching a downloaded broadcast any different to one recorded onto a DVD to be watched some time after the show has aired?

They have no control over my DVD/PVR remote in the same way as they do over P2P and I can skip the adverts in just the same way.

Im starting to come to a conclusion that its manufactured demand, so that subsequent DVD or PPV sales are minimaly afected.

So heres a new angle, I record every episode of a series on my DVDR from a broadcast off BBC1. I then edit the DVD to remove the padding before and after the show and then reburn it. In effect making myself a DVD compilation.
    I have supposedly not broken any laws and saved myself 30+

Thank Post
    You've probably broken the "length of storage" of recorded programs law (I assume it still exists) and probably infringed the copyright . I've never heard of either being prosecuted on, but that doesn't mean that the laws won't be brought into use if/when it suits nor make the acts legal. Yes a lot of people do it, and I'm not criticising them, merely pointing out that it is tolerated rather than approved of.

As my previous post - I agree that a lot of it is to protect DVD sales, but also to protect copyright.

As for what's the difference about using P2P; it's that if you keep your "own" copies they're used by you - use of a P2P network distributes the work to thousands/millions. Even using newsgroups (where you're only downloading rather than sharing) encourages the posting of copyrighted works for free distribution to large numbers of people.

9. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

CHR1S (23rd January 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    So here's a new angle, I record every episode of a series on my DVDR from a broadcast off BBC1. I then edit the DVD to remove the padding before and after the show and then reburn it. In effect making myself a DVD compilation.
    I have supposedly not broken any laws and saved myself 30+
    Strictly speaking that's probably OK (with provisos on how long you keep it). I suspect that in reality a tiny number of people will do that so no-one really loses money (and ultimately it all comes down to money)

What you can't do is lend out that DVD compilation to anyone else (I think even for free) and that's the key difference from P2P (which is easy so lots of people do it and money is possibly lost)

11. Thanks to srochford from:

CHR1S (23rd January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    That's down to difficulty and the design of the system. It's so easy to make an anonymised posting that they'd have to go after the providers, many don't keep logs for long - some not at all depending on the country they're in. They'd have to go after taking down the hosts rather than the users and there are too many non infringing uses for usenet acccess. It would be like shutting down hotmail because people may email each other an MP3 file. Compare that to just trawling a torrent/P2P network for IP addresses to fire off John Doe letters to and you have your answer.
    Also most providers now offer SSL so even if they did find out what you were downloading you could counter sue saying they infilitrated your PC to find out what your downloading.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Also most providers now offer SSL so even if they did find out what you were downloading you could counter sue saying they infilitrated your PC to find out what your downloading.
    But how many customers use it?

Anyway, I don't think the OP is asking how to get away with copyright infringement - just expressing his confusion/frustration over what is/isn't allowed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    But how many customers use it?

Anyway, I don't think the OP is asking how to get away with copyright infringement - just expressing his confusion/frustration over what is/isn't allowed.
    Exactly, we wouldnt condone that sort of thing here..
    Its more of a covering my own back situation as we are looking to digitise our old VCR collection and was thinking of looking to see if others had done it for us lol.

But once again I would imaging even that is illegal now ha!

Thanks again all for the input, lots of questions answered

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12