+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Upgrade plans. in General; Originally Posted by Gibbo While our current PCs may be a little old and not suitable for Vista (and probably ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    While our current PCs may be a little old and not suitable for Vista (and probably Win7) I don't see why I should waste taxpayers money on new machines just to run the OS rather than any new applications.
    I'm not actually proposing moving to Win7 day one. Doesn't matter if I like it of not Win7 is the natural progressor to XP SP2. Now Win 7 is due for release mid this year. I'm thinking Summer 2010 as the earliest date for witch over buy which time XP will be some 9 years old!

What I'm trying to do is come up with an ICT strategy for the next 4-5 years, which will inevitably include upgrading both Windows and Office. I'm also interested in looking at how these desicions impact may plans for this years and next years ICT budget.

Will I need to put other projects on the back burner - such a virtualisation or SAN - to pay for this? Do I spend money now on new Vista/Office licences knowing that in 18months time it's could be all change? Is there a sensible way of flattening out the cost of this change over? Do we stage it and have multiple versions for a while? How do I manage the change of UI for teachers? We are (hopefully) getting rid of Winsuite this summer which is going to cause enough shocks! Do I implement a straight change to Win7/latest office - total UI change day 1 - or do one first then the other?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Every machine (Admin, Staff, Pupils) run the base of Windows XP and Office 2003. That will soon change as the Pupils and Staff will be going over to Linux. Only people that wont be is the admin team.

Staff are opposed to it but they can either like it or not use it, its that simple. Headteacher and Governors have approved it so nothing they can do!

Half of the programs the teachers want to run here won't even run on windows - how on earth are you going to run them on Linux?

Also - with no Active Directory and thus no way of centrally controlling workstations users and software - how on earth are you going to manage the network??

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12