+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, CC4...Hows it goin? in General; Originally Posted by russdev Some are cc4 some are not rm like all bidders quote on what LA ask for. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Some are cc4 some are not rm like all bidders quote on what LA ask for.

So some say vanilla, some say middleware and some say nothing at all and upto the bidder.

Russ
    Thanks for the info.

Thank Post

My opinion on CC4, kind of.

So far I find CC4 buggy and restrictive, if something works under Microsoft it sure as hell wont under RM.
    Even the simple things that have been working for years such as RA dont under CC4.
    Not impressed.

Thank Post
    What did bossman mean by re-coded? Are we talking major parts re-written or just a slew of bug fixes?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would say rewritten is wrong word bug fixes continue and they have got service pack. Then there are few other parts which have altered code so works better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @russdev:
    Re-written is what I was told and not just fixes but major parts, to be released as a new in March.
    Hopefully everything will have been sorted by then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @bosman

Yes I think parts are being rewritten to make then better but the whole product is not being written which something that should be made clear...

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @russdev:
    That's what I said Russ "major parts" which as you have said is "not all of it" which is correct.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just don't understand why there have been so many problems. Many moons ago I was part of the Customer Forum that went to meetings regarding CC4 (remember then Russ?) - they seemed so confident about the whole thing.

Of course, we never saw a working version in that first meeting. We saw a very early build in the second meeting.

Maybe they spent all their money on the new logo (urgh) which I criticised at the time.

We originally signed up to be a CC4 tester/early adopter but the decision was taken by the school to remove our CC3 network and move back into the LEA privision. At the time I was gutted but now after a few months using the LEA network and setting up our vanilla network I am extremely happy and I believe we have benefited from moving away from RM - and that's coming from someone who was a strong RM supporter.

I'm really suprised nobody has been sacked at RM considering the hassle CC4 seems to have caused schools. I'm also suprised that there have been no reports in the TES or TES Online.

I do hope they sort it out soon - not for RM'sake but for everyone's sanity.

Good luck,

Gareth

Thank Post

RM have brought this on themselves

I am an ex-RM employee and I must say CC4 was the most abysmal software project I ever worked on. It was severely understaffed, the requirements remained fluid. That's why it seems it's been slapped together in a hurry. The project itself was the reason I decided to leave the company.

I just don't understand why there have been so many problems. Many moons ago I was part of the Customer Forum that went to meetings regarding CC4 (remember then Russ?) - they seemed so confident about the whole thing.
    It was all smoke and mirrors, The early demo builds were specially tailored for the demos. The developers knew full well what was going to happen when they released. Management chose to ignore that and released anyway.

I'm really suprised nobody has been sacked at RM considering the hassle CC4 seems to have caused schools.
    I wouldn't count on it. The people responsible have strategically maneuvered themselves away from this disaster in time.

Best of luck and I hope they sort it out eventually.
    Last edited by Trurl; 30th January 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Was CC4 not a natural progression from CC3 then? I would have expected them to get CC3, then try and build a Vista station using it, find what does not work, fix it whilst also adding new features to the existing package, much like Microsoft do with Windows, ie grab Windows Vista build and keep modifying it until it becomes 7.

Sounds more like they have started from scratch like they did with Connect 2.4 > Connect 3.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Was CC4 not a natural progression from CC3 then?
    Partially. CC3 was quite dated, still COM based, the management console was written in VB. Some CC4 components are just wrappers around old CC3 components, but a lot of it is new. New frameworks were developed specially for CC4, when we started writing the actual product those frameworks were still far from finished. RM's outsourcing facility in India has its fair share of problems too. The failure to deliver CC4 on time and to a sufficient level of quality is just a manifestation of the systemic problems within the company.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trurl View Post
    Partially. CC3 was quite dated, still COM based, the management console was written in VB. Some CC4 components are just wrappers around old CC3 components, but a lot of it is new. New frameworks were developed specially for CC4, when we started writing the actual product those frameworks were still far from finished. RM's outsourcing facility in India has its fair share of problems too. The failure to deliver CC4 on time and to a sufficient level of quality is just a manifestation of the systemic problems within the company.
    Looks like we did the best thing by getting out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trurl View Post
    The failure to deliver CC4 on time and to a sufficient level of quality is just a manifestation of the systemic problems within the company.
    Can't wait for BSF...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Looks like we did the best thing by getting out.
    Yep, I'm not even sure if it's at all possible to make CC4 work ok (stable, fast). There are some really deep architectural problems with it.

Thank Post
    Yep, I'm not even sure if it's at all possible to make CC4 work ok (stable, fast). There are some really deep architectural problems with it.

Ohh go on detail a few for us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast