Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Advice needed in General; Alot of you will know that I have been having a hell of time in my current post and to ...
    richard

Advice needed

Alot of you will know that I have been having a hell of time in my current post and to be honest I have been lookimg for another post but there has been nothing until now.

I've been doing a bit of consultancy work for a junior school in the town where I live (someone I know is a governor there) and now they want to offer me postition there. The only drawback is I'll be going from fulltime, full year to partime termtime only which means I'll loose about 4.5K a year. Another primary school has said that they are interested in picking some of my free hours each week and both have said that theirmay well be additional hours during the holidays and couple of secondary schools in the area said they may consider taking me on freelance for big projects over the holidays as well but there is nothing definate.

Now do I try and stick it out where I am and hope for something better or do I take a risk and jump ship?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Advice needed

If you can stand the pressure financially I'd say go for it. Nice challenge plus hopefully opportunities to further yourself. If something better comes along you'd be better placed to accept. Go for it definately!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As mark says if can do it go for it and also if do and need to find work over hols ask on here as often few of us need help over summer hols etc

Russ

richard

I had thought about offering "my services" here but I'm in Kent and most of you are up north.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

Can you manage financially if the extra work doesn't come off?
    If so, GO FOR IT

richard

It going to be very tight and will probably mean that I'll be living beans and toast for a while and my ex ain't going to like it.

Thank Post

Baked potatoes and cheese saw me through the hard times

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Baked potatoes and cheese saw me through the hard times
    And home made lentil soup, reheated for days on end, then left to set and used as a sandwich filling...eeee it were hard in Sheffield in the 80's

richard

I can live on a budget but its going to be hard to go back to one though.

Thank Post

Short term pain for long term gain

Firstly - look at the experience it would give you over all the schools, almost your own boss, and when you have nothing on look at the time you'll have to study for qualifications.

Who cares what your Ex thinks? If she can't see the long term benefits then tuff

When I left my last job I took a drop of 10k a year. You learn to adjust

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey
    And home made lentil soup, reheated for days on end, then left to set and used as a sandwich filling...eeee it were hard in Sheffield in the 80's
    at least the buses were cheap back then.
    I tend to agree with alan-d that the experience you gain will stand you in good stead for the future. and as for the ex, there's nothing (s)he can do, as you say your current position is causing you no end of grief, upset and mental turmoil. how would she feel if you had to give up work completely due to stress?

good luck,
    beeswax

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

What price being happy? i know from present experience that i would rather be happy in my work with no other interference from so called line managers who don't know their arse from their elbow but have the power to make your life miserable. These people are full of their own self importance so much so that they sacrifice a good working relationship with the people that matter. headteachers are good intentional guys who are trying to follow state procedures and they are ultimately responsible so they spend most of their time watchin their arse, so hardly anytime is speny actually getting to know the people that matter. sorry to rant on but i would go for the job if it means happiness that is worth it's weight in gold and you can always work something out with your ex .

richard

Well the job has been "offically" advertised and I've put in for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

good for you Richard well done and good luck.
    You seem to me to be a worthy person who has been shafted by the management team but not for long.........hehe
    wonder what they will do when your gone.......
    the usual, think about themselves then feel totally helpless then get in touch with the local LEA for advice.......
    They will tell them to advertise, tell them what to put in advertisement then guess what?.......... yes you guessed, it will start all over again to the next person who gets the position because like all educational regimes they hate outsiders who are not teachers because they themselves feel inadequate. We will no longer be put down by the teaching fraternity VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!

richard

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    good for you Richard well done and good luck.
    You seem to me to be a worthy person who has been shafted by the management team but not for long.........hehe
    wonder what they will do when your gone.......
    the usual, think about themselves then feel totally helpless then get in touch with the local LEA for advice.......
    They will tell them to advertise, tell them what to put in advertisement then guess what?.......... yes you guessed, it will start all over again to the next person who gets the position because like all educational regimes they hate outsiders who are not teachers because they themselves feel inadequate. We will no longer be put down by the teaching fraternity VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!
    From what I've been told if I do leave then they may not bother replacing me and just give everything to my tech who doesn't want the responsiblity. They have also said in that case bring in a consultant for any big jobs. The other option she is considering is "outsourcing" as it offers better value for money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast