+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Advice needed in General; lol ... better value for money ... Yes ... it can do in certain circumstances ... it all depends on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Advice needed

lol ... better value for money ...

Yes ... it can do in certain circumstances ... it all depends on the level of 'e-Confidence" in the school.

Also ... if they are not going to replace you then speak to your union about constructive dismissal. If they do not think your job is a valid job and they want to 'downsize' then you should be offered redundancy rather than be pressured to leave the job.

I have spoken with a few bursars / business managers about this situation and they are disgusted ... ok, we only have one point of view at the moment ... but there are just too many things that are out of order to even justify some of your bursar's or Head's actions.

richard

Thanks for all the support guys. I just feel that now like I have had enough and do not want to fight anymore. I am just hoping that this job works out and I can make a clean break and start over again.

Thank Post

Get the new job then fight for constructive dismissal - you don't have to do it before then

Good luck with the job application anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts

Outsourcing good value for money how is that?
    when it takes 2-3 weeks for pupil's or staff work to be found and recovered to original spec,
    internet access denied cos proxy's needs rebooting 2-3 days before that can be done.
    must i go on, whoever "SHE" is and i am assuming this is either a. the ict manager or the b. headteacher and neither has a clue except they want to save money therefore listen to the salespeople who promote these outsourcing consultants. Then the service for IT gets practically worse as these consultants take on cheap inexpensive so call techies and the whole thing goes skywards. Same old management techniques when want to save money kill off the technical support and watch the place go under.
    ha bloody ha these people are not management material but little hitlers in disguise who have very little business accumen and could not really hack it in the real world i.e industry would sack them cos they are bloody useless at times they should primarily stick to and only to teaching.

This is my personal view and my view only everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and to hold their own view..........

richard

The she is the bursar who is also my line manager who has never worked in a school until this one and comes from the private sector.

Thank Post

Well you live and learn
    in all my days working in education it seems that someone from the private sector has disguised themselves as an educationalist in the fact that they are probably an accountant who in my opinion is far worse than a teacher cos they do think only in terms of money. At least teachers can teach but what do accountants do "save money" i hear you say but no they think they save money by cutting back on the essentials like support and give more money to non essentials like admin staff who run around like looneys trying to justify their position and standing with the teaching fraternity. all in all i think you are up the proverbial creek without a manouvering device so i would get out quick if i was you and also tell the technician to do the same cos it seems he is regarded in the same light as you.

keep the faith V

Thank Post

Oh By the way Richard
    just want to say that me an my technician do empathise whole heartedly
    with you both cos we are suffering the same fate in that we are being manouvered into doing things we feel are not in the schools best interests but will they listen, NO they have it all worked out and we are the ones to suffer. I have been told that i must run the network whole school on my own and my technician is to become the new web/vle manager without any consultation just that the governors have decided we cannot afford to support two techies in the whole school i.e. Myself (network manager) and technician, me on 19k and technician on 11k. But they can afford Site manager 30k and senior admin/hr/finance officer 30k and these both have minions beneath them who average 15k each. The science techies 2 off to run 5 science suites on average 14k each. I know of schools the same size as ours who have network manager and 3 techies and manager is on 30k
    it just is not fair in this modern world of ours. So we are in fact looking for other jobs.
    Just wanted you to know that Richard

richard

My tech is looking but for different reasons so they may well loose both of us :twisted:

I know what you are saying about money I'm on 17.5K and my tech is on about 14K. I know that we are only a small school some 300 machines and almost 600 users including staff we are kept rushed off our feet as the overall level of IT knowledge is pretty low plus the fact that the school likes to do things with considering the consequences.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    I know what you are saying about money I'm on 17.5K and my tech is on about 14K. I know that we are only a small school some 300 machines and almost 600 users including staff we are kept rushed off our feet as the overall level of IT knowledge is pretty low plus the fact that the school likes to do things with considering the consequences.
    I think you'll find this is how it works in a lot of schools. Teachers buy a piece of software, bring it in and ask you to "put it on the network" After you've pointed out that it's only a single user licence they expect you to sort it out with the company who sold it. I'm not saying don't look for a better/different position, but every school has an array of teachers with various levels of IT expertise. At my last school I was on 14.5K as an IT tech, it had about 1100 users and under 300 machines. You'll be extremely unlucky to land a school which treats you as badly as your present employ.

beeswax

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12