+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, website in General; i have been working on a website for pc repair in my local town and have just finished and uploaded. ...
    Thank Post

website

i have been working on a website for pc repair in my local town and have just finished and uploaded.
    www.ib-computers.co.uk.
    I was curious on any opinions on the site and any advice on improvements.
    Thanks
    Last edited by tomscaper; 19th January 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Impression/Points to note:

Clean, very quick to load and easy to read.
    Text on front page a little grammatically incorrect.
    Typo's on services.php under first heading (includes) and (installation)
    Doesn't validate to the XHTML it purports to. The CSS is fine.
    Faq.php doesn't name Middlesborough or Stockton with a capital letter.
    Faq.php second heading has a random full stop in the middle of the first line of the second paragraph.
    Faq.php third heading issue should be issues.

Advisories:

Implement a contact form on the contact.php with a suitably secure CAPTCHA image.
    Have someone proof read your text.
    Do away with the hotmail addresses as you have a .co.uk domain.
    Get yourself a phone number either via Skype or so, or even a mobile (obviously, if you're working 9-5 a mobile might not be the best approach, so a voicemail box might work for those who are unable to get online on their computer, they may wish to have your details on a business card or from a previous call out and wish to leave a message)

Honestly though, it's very neat, tidy, and low prices should make it work really quite well.

Good stuff.

3. Thanks to kmount from:

tomscaper (19th January 2009)

Thank Post

Looking Good, Validation Problem

Just had a quick look Tom and have spotted that your services page does not validate (XHTML), you might want to check that out, especially with your links at the bottom of the page to the validator . Joking aside I do understand that you have just made the site, and the errors in question are just little bugs.

Secondly, you refer to 'we' a lot on the FAQ page but then switch to talk about 'I' in one of the FAQs. Intentional?

Lastly, have you seen Technibble - A Resource for Computer Repair Technicians? It looks quite a good resource for your area.

All in all though I am very fond of the simplistic design and content.

Kind Regards,

Ross

5. Thanks to rosswilson from:

Thank Post
    Nice lean site - could do with a couple of nice pictures here and there just to make it a bit more attractive.

Also I'd forget about the skype/email things

Normal people just want phone numbers to ring

regards
    Simon

PS what software did you make it in BTW?

7. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Thank Post
    Hi,

Your site looks good, your prices seem a little on the low side though, maybe thats just compared to the prices I used to charge in my area when I did this venture, it's an easy money maker and definatly the route to go down if you have the time.

I went down this route a few years ago, did it on the side for about 6 months while working a full time job and it just didn't work out as it was a bit much to take on.

Hope it works out for you.

D

9. Thanks to danrhodes from:

Thank Post
    I have quickly made some changes from the points made out, i will still have to go through the grammar of the site, my fault as i did rush at the end to get it up.

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Any advice on what i could charge.

Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Hi,

Your site looks good, your prices seem a little on the low side though, maybe thats just compared to the prices I used to charge in my area when I did this venture, it's an easy money maker and definatly the route to go down if you have the time.

I went down this route a few years ago, did it on the side for about 6 months while working a full time job and it just didn't work out as it was a bit much to take on.

Hope it works out for you.

D

Thank Post
    Hi,

Your best bet would be to look at ICT businesses around your area. Ring them up for an over the phone quote then lower your prices by a few pound below theirs.

Thats what I did and it worked a treat, a bit of market reasearch is a must if you want to make a go of it! Also try posting some fliers and adverts in papers, but make sure you get the right area, you don't wana post adverts any fliers in students areas or "old people" areas as they will either know how to fix a computer or just won't have one. And remember, be polite and friendly, word of mouth is an excellent marketing / advertising tool.

D

13. Thanks to danrhodes from:

Thank Post
    On the services page you are missing the end bracket for ' (Warning some files contaminated with a virus cannot be always cleaned and may be deleted.'
    looks like there is supposed to be an image after some of the prices on the prices page (guess this is the per hour indicator, quite important)

overall i like the design, although it does feel very 'windows' but you are only offering/advertising support for MS so this is cool. as a standard i always include email link on every page for ease of access. have also noted that you include you email addy as a pic which is great for stopping lil bots but not so great for dumb users (your audience) this is why i use email forms (you are using php and i have no clue how to do this).

looking through the code i see you have no print style sheet (not checked how it does print tbh)

the only thing about the design i dont quite like is the banner image, whilst it is neat tidy, informative and professional, it doesnt inspire me i would add some colour and possibly make a logo (then make a favicon).

hope this helps

15. Thanks to gibbo_ap from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the prices page the star image doesn't seem to work

17. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

Thank Post
    I put the images up so i could reduce spam, i was looking in to a php form but not had chance to create anything but it is on the list.

Anyone know how to create a email form in php?

The stars after the prices are a mistake in the code, from when transferring from dreamweaver, though i had changed them all but i missed that page.

The logo is temporary as i hopefully will get some nice looking logo up soon and add a favicon. I figured to put something up. The logo i think will include the email and phone number, once i get a spare sim card. Waiting for o2 to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    On the services page you are missing the end bracket for ' (Warning some files contaminated with a virus cannot be always cleaned and may be deleted.'
    looks like there is supposed to be an image after some of the prices on the prices page (guess this is the per hour indicator, quite important)

overall i like the design, although it does feel very 'windows' but you are only offering/advertising support for MS so this is cool. as a standard i always include email link on every page for ease of access. have also noted that you include you email addy as a pic which is great for stopping lil bots but not so great for dumb users (your audience) this is why i use email forms (you are using php and i have no clue how to do this).

looking through the code i see you have no print style sheet (not checked how it does print tbh)

the only thing about the design i dont quite like is the banner image, whilst it is neat tidy, informative and professional, it doesnt inspire me i would add some colour and possibly make a logo (then make a favicon).

hope this helps

Thank Post
    Have made a slight few extra changes, what does everyone think.

Thank Post
    As other people have said, looks clean and professional.
    One slight thing is the header image seems a bit pixelated, other than that it's fine

Thank Post
    To be honest i am no good as creating images so i just put something basic up for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Messa View Post
    As other people have said, looks clean and professional.
    One slight thing is the header image seems a bit pixelated, other than that it's fine

Thank Post
    Fair enough, it's not really noticeable, just im a picky so and so :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast