+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Most ridiculous thing you have given an IP address to? in General; Ours has to be when we got a phone call from a guy telling us he was coming in to ...
    Thank Post

Most ridiculous thing you have given an IP address to?

Ours has to be when we got a phone call from a guy telling us he was coming in to network the windows in the new building we are having built. We thought this must have been a prank call, but sure enough when we went over to the building all the window frames had a NIC and cables had been run in the inner wall.

So after a few months of laughing about about it we finally say them in action and each window has an IP address on a subnet and a central server bolted to the wall in our comms room. The Co2 sensors detect Co2 and opens the windows if it goes over a certain amount. A certain temperature opens the windows, and due to the position of the sun the windows darken.

All we can think of is this is such an unneccessary waste of money.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty cool. Hopefully that doesn't pose a security threat - eg. automatically opening when the school is closed (especially if they're at ground level). Other networkable things we have include serial ports and POS terminals which are part of our cashless catering system.

If projectors had had this capability by default in the last 5 years, it would have saved thousands of hours of lamp life in being able to shut them down remotely.

I think ethernet-enabling remote-controllable devices is a good idea. It means you can put things almost anywhere (with cat5e/6 being quite flexible with PoE capabilities) and have the potential to manage them from a central console/location as desired. Home-automation systems like X10 already do this. Ethernet has already replaced traditional/proprietary cabling systems in things such as CCTV and telephony, so it's only right that other peripherals are now taking advantage of the technology where possible.
    Last edited by webman; 18th January 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We also have our POS Tills networked.

A little while ago there was talk of giving each of the Lesson Change/Fire Alarm bells individual IP addresses. The theory was that we could have differing bell rings on various parts of the campus and this pattern could be repeated across the weeks [We have a 10 day timetable week: Week A: 5 days Monday - Friday then Week B same again: 5 days Monday - Friday]

It was dropped as a bad idea: Perhaps to save the sanity of the school timtetabler!

Thank Post
    Giving a bell an IP gives a whole new meaning to the term ping.

5. 7 Thanks to kmount:

button_ripple (19th January 2009), CHR1S (19th January 2009), danrhodes (19th January 2009), mark (19th January 2009), powdarrmonkey (19th January 2009), tech_guy (18th January 2009), Tony_Mc (19th January 2009)

Thank Post
    I could potentially open all the windows in the building sitting at home, but they dont open wide enough to be of any real risk of someone getting in. The management software does allow you to set school times so that the windows stay closed during holidays, sunday and evenings.

Thank Post
    The Co2 sensors detect Co2 and opens the windows if it goes over a certain amount. A certain temperature opens the windows, and due to the position of the sun the windows darken.
    I can see Dos_Box upgrading his training suite wireless window setup to this

Well, I imagine someone's done it to save on air-conditioning/heating costs and they probably got a grant to try it out as well

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I can see Dos_Box upgrading his training suite wireless window setup to this

Well, I imagine someone's done it to save on air-conditioning/heating costs and they probably got a grant to try it out as well

regards
    Simon
    Every room is air conditioned for the summer aswell as having heated flooring during the winter. And its a public school so no grants.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    Is everything built on top of TCP/IP/HTTP these days, does no one remember how to design networks from the ground up? It must be relatively processor-intensive to create an IP-addressable device just for driving a window.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Is everything built on top of TCP/IP/HTTP these days, does no one remember how to design networks from the ground up? It must be relatively processor-intensive to create an IP-addressable device just for driving a window.
    With cheaper embedded hardware and software being more widely available, is it any wonder manufacturers choose to use commercial off-the-shelf components instead of developing a proprietary method of doing something? With all the added R&D/support overhead, I personally can't blame them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    With cheaper embedded hardware and software being more widely available, is it any wonder manufacturers choose to use commercial off-the-shelf components instead of developing a proprietary method of doing something? With all the added R&D/support overhead, I personally can't blame them.
    That's the thing - there are off-the-shelf components (window openers, door openers, etc) that operate on other protocols (X10, LonWorks, etc) that I'd have thought would be more appropriate to operate a window. LonWorks window openers have been around for at least a decade, someone will have had to develop that IP-addressable window opener quite recently. The main point that I'd wonder about would be the power consumption of a system running a TCP/IP stack - I'm guessing it'd be more power-hungry than something running a simpler protocol more specifically designed for automation tasks.

I guess having an IP-addressable device means you can potentially stick one anywhere you like on a random network, but doing a whole room of them might be better suited to different devices.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Our PSHCE Coordinator

13. Thanks to laserblazer from:

mark (19th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post

Our PSHCE Coordinator
    I'd been waiting for someone to say that =)

Thank Post
    Hi,

I once gave a sewing machine an IP address!

D

Thank Post
    Did it stitch you up?

Thank Post
    Good one,

It was one of these posh things that you program the design using a computer then send the file to the sewing machine. It was really sketchy though, I think the machines used to work via CF cards. They adapted the machines to work other Ethernet someway so it was all messed up and never worked properly, but when it did it did some amazing cross stitch aparently!

D

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast