+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Where shall we retire to? in General; I had hoped to retire at the end of this school year but that's not going to happen now. So ...

Thank Post

Where shall we retire to?

I had hoped to retire at the end of this school year but that's not going to happen now. So we are considering the time might be good to buy a retirement property that we could let out for a few years. Question is where!

My wife is disabled so access to a good hospital for repairs to her caliper is a must but we want somewhere away from lots of traffic and noise and preferrably close to the coast.

Also reasonably close to an airport that serves Faro as we go out there quite a bit. If I had my way, that's where we would retire to but the Missus is against it for medical reasons.

As we have members spread across Great Britain, maybe there are some ideas out there.

Thank Post
    BMIBaby fly from Cardiff to Faro. If you head west of Cardiff you have the Gower You don't get a much better coastline than that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    BMIBaby fly from Cardiff to Faro. If you head west of Cardiff you have the Gower You don't get a much better coastline than that
    Second this, I have wonderful things about Gower, keep meaning to visit there. Of course, if you're retiring to Wales you want to be careful you don't end up here. Plenty of coastline, true... but some pesky weather balloons.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    why not just retire to faro?

Im definately going to spend my retirement in the sun.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    why not just retire to faro?

Im definately going to spend my retirement in the sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    If I had my way, that's where we would retire to but the Missus is against it for medical reasons.

If it was up to me I'd retire to the New Forest, which is close enough to Southampton for flights to Faro and medical needs, and an hour or so on the train to the city if the need arises. I'd be right in the middle of the forest though :drool:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    India - Jodphur in Rajasthan to be specific. Fantastic city. Cheap property. We checked it all out in 2007. Great house in an enclave costing about 40k. All services. Fares around 369 each. You can't buy property if you're not an Indian national but there are ways around this

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    If it was up to me I'd retire to the New Forest,
    Terrible idea; FAR too many people got here ahead of you. The roads are hell from Easter to October and you wouldn't believe the house prices!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Terrible idea; FAR too many people got here ahead of you. The roads are hell from Easter to October and you wouldn't believe the house prices!
    Well, yes, but that may well be the case anywhere near an airport as they are often in touristy areas...

Or maybe you just don't want any more people down this way..I'll second that!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post

If it was up to me I'd retire to the New Forest, which is close enough to Southampton for flights to Faro and medical needs, and an hour or so on the train to the city if the need arises. I'd be right in the middle of the forest though :drool:
    guess i should read posts completely eh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Interesting. My son went to uni. in Swansea and we do like that neck of the woods. I believe that the NHS offers some advantages like free parking. When my wife has to go to get anything sorted she now has to go to the Rheumatolgy Dept. at the new Worcester hospital. There are around 6 disabled bays at the dept. but these are normally full so she has to park in the main carpark, pay around 3.50 and walk half a mile. That's one of the things we are trying to avoid.

Might even consider a bit further west towards Carmarthen.

Thank Post
    My wife is disabled so access to a good hospital for repairs to her caliper is a must but we want somewhere away from lots of traffic and noise and preferrably close to the coast.

Also reasonably close to an airport that serves Faro as we go out there quite a bit. If I had my way, that's where we would retire to but the Missus is against it for medical reasons.

Can they not do caliper repairs in Faro ?

Thank Post
    Interesting. pay around 3.50 and walk half a mile. That's one of the things we are trying to avoid.

Might even consider a bit further west towards Carmarthen.
    Hospital car park charges are being scrapped in Wales, plus we get free prescriptions

I've only been to Carmarthen once so can't really comment on it. I do know that it's M4 and dual carriageway to Carmarthen, once you pass it though I don't think it's too good. Trains are pretty good as well to and from Carmarthen and the west as they link into the ferries for Ireland.
    Last edited by joe90bass; 17th January 2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: too many typos..........

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Dammit, I've been trying to move there for years... maybe it'll be quieter by the time I'm 70

Anyway, Camarthen roads aren't bad as long as you don't try and go too far from the main.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Can they not do caliper repairs in Faro ?
    No idea, but it's not Faro where we would want to live if we did move to Portugal. Anyway, regardess of the critics, we would rather take our chances with the NHS in our declining years! Both of my grandchildren are poorly at present and the medical treatment they are receiving in Portugal is not what we would expect here.

I think India is out. My son is about to start a new job in South Korea, so perhaps we will see how that pans out. I bet they can fix calipers there.

Thank Post
    it's not Faro where we would want to live if we did move to Portugal.
    Thanks, this thread has cleared up some confusion - I'd been wondering why the Faero Isles had suddenly become so popular, with cheap flights and all, and have only just realised the difference in spelling...

Have you considered the Bournemouth / Christchurch area? Seemingly there's regular scheduled and chartered flights (according to Wikipedia) to Faro and there's a large retired community living there already.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information