+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How can I go to London on the cheap? in General; Originally Posted by Edu-IT If you're parking in a tube station car park, for example, and travelling by tube then ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post

If you're parking in a tube station car park, for example, and travelling by tube then will your car be safe?
    I've been parking there for years, and over 20 times this year, it has somebody patroling every now and then, i've never seen a smashed window other anything of that nature.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not just for visiting London but for any cheap tickets, the National Express web site is good

This shows you the range of tickets available for a journey and allows you to find (say) just the journeys with £10 single or whatever. It's also much quicker if you want to browse a few days than the Trainline web site.

Late Rooms is quite good for finding hotels all over the place. A quick check finds the Leisure Inn in Bayswater for next weekend for about £40 per night. This isn't the most beautiful bit of London but it's not bad and it's walking distance from Hyde Park, Marble Arch and the rest of the West End.

If you can get a family train ticket for less than £80 then I'd do it - that's only just more than the cost of the petrol and it's much, much less hassle and almost certainly quicker now that the works on the west coast mainline are finished.

If the children are under 11 they travel free on buses and tubes; from 11 to 16 it's still free but they need a photo card - there are details of all the costs on the Transport for London web site.

I'd be stupid to say that London is the best city in the UK, but there is a huge amount to do here which is free and worth doing. The big museums (Science, Natural History and V&A) are pretty impressive (they're just round the corner from me and they're always busy!) but there are loads of others to visit if you want something a bit different. A quick Google found an A-Z of London's museums but there are also places like the South Bank where you can just wander along from Westminster to the Tate and beyond.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I'd be stupid to say that London is the best city in the UK
    Hey London is the best city in the UK! (well most of the time)

You can get good deals on the train, for example I recently bought tickets for Edinburgh -> London for £14 each way. Virgin Trains on the West Coast are a bit more expensive at £30-50 each way from the North West.

I used to be all in favour of travelling by train or plane but tbh it can be a complete rip off. At christmas I drove from the North West to London in 4 hours and it cost less than £40 in petrol. If there are a few of you in the car it will definitely be cheaper than public transport. Just remeber to use the M6 toll, its worth it. The time taken to get to the airport, go through security, get a train into london at the other end will be longer than driving, especially from Manchester / Liverpool.
    Last edited by somabc; 15th January 2009 at 11:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Hey London is the best city in the UK! (well most of the time)
    Here, here (although Cairo is, erm, fun).

Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for so long, but I always get a smile on my face, more up beat and happier when I visit the capital. Got to move back there one day. Norfolk is too quiet!

Edit:

Before I forget, on the subject of Museums.

Both the Science Museum (my personal favourite, they have Cray 1 on show ) and the British Museum (esp. the Egypt antiquates) are fantastic venues and well recommended. Both are free entry AFAIR.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 15th January 2009 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post

Smile Prenton High

I used to call in and provide technical support at Prenton High, back in the days of Bob Winterton? or whatever the Headteachers name was at the time! Techie there called Dave something?

Anyways, hope all is well, for my penny's worth on travelling to London - I would drive!

Steve Morton
    West Derby School

Thank Post
    If you do go by train, get a family railcard, you can save around 30% on the fare and will probably pay for itself straight away, as well as having it to use in the future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scouselpl View Post
    I used to call in and provide technical support at Prenton High, back in the days of Bob Winterton? or whatever the Headteachers name was at the time! Techie there called Dave something?

Anyways, hope all is well, for my penny's worth on travelling to London - I would drive!

Steve Morton
    West Derby School
    Yep That would be Dave Cottington. Still here with me!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    What on earth makes you want to come to London for a 'short break'?! It's vile!

So many much much nicer places to go

There's always Coventry!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @all:
    The reason we travel down by bus is purely psychological, because it is so horrendous approx 6.50 hrs there and the same back we thoroughly enjoy the experience as we have it so good in every other aspect of our lives, we just like to give something back for the balance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Which site did you use for this?

That seems a price worth paying compared to the hassle of driving and finding parking!
    Id say it is too
    Someone else has probably posted it but I just used National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables
    And as someone mentioned, buy a family railcard and it would be cheaper still

Thank Post
    Automobiles were always a good invention~!

National express is good tbh. They have discount prices for kids and always loads of coaches going + always on time. I always use them and have never had any problems.

Though I did drive past the greyhound murder scene in Canada. So always sit @ the back so you know whos where.

Thank Post
    You can get some pretty decent rail fares - book as far in advance as possible to get the dirt cheap tickets. As others have said also get a family railcard, as these now give you an added discount on ap tickets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I've been parking there for years, and over 20 times this year, it has somebody patroling every now and then, i've never seen a smashed window other anything of that nature.
    You've parked there more than once a day this year then?

Thank Post
    @quackers -
    I've done this twice now, it's great. Same idea. Travel down in the motor, maybe spend £30 in disel, return, with my foot down, from West Yorkshire, then about a tenner on the tube return and about 3 quid for parking. Because you're at the end of the tube line you've got all zones return, you can do pretty much what you wanti in between.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    I would assume that car would be cheaper than four train tickets but I wouldn't know where to park.
    From the Northwest, would Watford be better? There's two train lines into London (one, I think, is still the Tube, one is now London Overground), and a Google search is bound to turn up somewhere to park.

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 19th January 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: m, even.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast