+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Makes you proud to be British....... in General; Originally Posted by apoth0r Funny....I'm still waiting for my second chance, but I have a job though so my opinion ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    Funny....I'm still waiting for my second chance, but I have a job though so my opinion won't mean a thing.
    Can't give you a second chance I'm afraid, will a community chest do ?

2. 4 Thanks to mattx:

apoth0r (14th January 2009), bossman (14th January 2009), tech_guy (14th January 2009), webman (14th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Hahaha, just when I think this is the worst day ever, the spade slapper pulls out the community chest. Fantastic!!!

Thank Post

Excuses excuses

Unemployment does have its pros and cons, for a start you can't get made redundant if you are unemployed, which is a plus and being unemployed and getting into a rut can be very undermining.

I am sympathetic to those that are ill, either mentally or physically or have a similar mitigating dispossision, BUT in my experience a vast majority are unmotivated, disintrested and detached from real life. They are blithly unaware that it is those that work that provide for them and in a lot of cases they do not give a damn.

I hear the arguments and read the comments and most of them do not hold water.

Take for example the case that they live in a high unemployment area or there are not any jobs for them. Well correct me if I am wrong bot about a millioon jobs over the past few years have been filled with eastern europeans, and other ethinic workers who in a lot of cases do live in 'REAL' poverty and that is what motivates them to get off thier arses and do something about it.

The main problem is that these people who leach of the state have no reason to get a job, so why bother when the likes of you and me pay our taxes etc which allows them to do NOTHING.

I was brought up in a house with four brothers in one bedroom, two sisters in the other and mum and dad in the other, have gone through two recessions, high unemployment, high intrest rates, have been very very ill on a number of ocassions which has left me with permanent disabilities, and the last time I got a job I moved 170 miles

But guess what, I have brought up two children and provided for them and they are now at University.

So sorry, I have no sympathy with those that are fit and able that leach of society because they can, and then they moan about it. Most do not have a clue about real hardship.

I do suspect though that things may get pretty tough in the next year or so????

Alex

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexknight View Post
    I was brought up in a house with four brothers in one bedroom, two sisters in the other and mum and dad in the other, have gone through two recessions, high unemployment, high intrest rates, have been very very ill on a number of ocassions which has left me with permanent disabilities, and the last time I got a job I moved 170 miles

But guess what, I have brought up two children and provided for them and they are now at University.
    Self satisfied anacedotal evidence - just as I predicted.

Until you've lived these kids lives it isn't very fair to make judgement. Sure there are lazy people but I'm proud that I live in a country where I have the freedom not to work if I don't want to and the chance to work and achieve if I do.

Of course the system will be abused. What are you suggesting? We take it away?

People that can work should, of course they should but you've got to see it as a complicated issue not as a Daily Mail headline.

6. Thanks to gwendes from:

torledo (14th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexknight View Post
    I am sympathetic to those that are ill, either mentally or physically or have a similar mitigating disposition , BUT in my experience a vast majority are unmotivated, disinterested and detached from real life. They are blithely unaware that it is those that work that provide for them and in a lot of cases they do not give a damn.
    Alex
    And i agree whole heartedly with you.

Thank Post
    @mattx:
    Behave yourself you've made me wet myself (spilt me tea laughing so much)

Thank Post

I dunno, tut tut

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes View Post
    Self satisfied anacedotal evidence - just as I predicted.

I've earned my self satisfaction, and it gives me a lovbel;y warm feeling just thinking about it.

Until you've lived these kids lives it isn't very fair to make judgement. Sure there are lazy people but I'm proud that I live in a country where I have the freedom not to work if I don't want to and the chance to work and achieve if I do.

I've earned my right to make judgement, getting an even warmer feeling now

Of course the system will be abused. What are you suggesting? We take it away?

Yep, after a certain amount of time.

People that can work should, of course they should but you've got to see it as a complicated issue not as a Daily Mail headline.

I see a Godwins law moment coming
    Just my opinion.

Alex

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    I see a Godwins law moment coming
    Give it a few more pages.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get all this talk about 'areas of high unemployment'. I moved 400 miles for my job. Are people so stuck on staying with the familiar that they would rather not have a job and a decent future?

And as someone else has said - smoking, drinking etc... are not necessities of life.

However, as alex has said, I also have sympathy for those who can't work - illness, disability etc... Those are the people who I am 100% in support of helping financially.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @j17sparky:
    There are second chances and second chances, my wife works amongst this won't work can't work culture trying to help give them a second chance and do you know, they get chance after chance after chance and then they blame the system.
    It is the same world for all of us some have it easy some hard but the opportunities are still there if you want them, but most of this work shy culture don't want it, oh yes they make out that they want work but that is all. It becomes a pattern of their failings is everybody else's fault and not theirs, blame someone else culture cos if there's blame there's a claim (sorry bad joke but true).

j17sparky: this is not personal just from years of watching this country go down the pan just like America.
    Oh i dont take it personally, dont worry. And even i at age 25 can remember a time where if you wanted something then you earned it, saved up for months, etc... and you had no-one but yourself to blame.

I know there are people who take the mick but there are also genuine cases. My mate, qualified plumber at 18, couldnt find a job when he left college even though he volentered to work for free, ended up working in factories with me. Does he not deserve a 2nd chance at training? The govt. certainly didnt think so. Hes now working as a class 1 HGV driver, trained up by his company, so hes fell in lucky. Got his foot in the door by "who he knew" rather than "what he knew". Hes now earning the princly sum of £19k pa doing an average of around 55hours per week!

It just annoys me when people make blankett statements based on their own very limited experiances. They seem to forget that they are 1 in 50odd million people living in the UK, so chances are their experiances are going to be very different from someone living in another part of the country.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't get all this talk about 'areas of high unemployment'. I moved 400 miles for my job. Are people so stuck on staying with the familiar that they would rather not have a job and a decent future?
    Most people do find moving towns hard. Well done you but may i ask, did you move 400 miles without a penny to your name and no job to go to, or did you have enough to get yourself going?

Now im not assuming you are in either of these catagories but someone with a car, a few bob to their name and a supporting family to fall back on is very different to someone without a 2p to scratch their ass with. Again just because it was like so for you.... You could have ended up on the street with no job and no money to get back to your home town.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 14th January 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Local, which is what i've been trying to say all along. There aren't any excuses, if you want to work there is something in this country that you will be able to find. There's nothing in this world without some sacrifice and i'm afraid sometimes you just have to take it on the chin. I'd rather not be having to wrap up warm and walk 2 miles to the bus station for a 35 minute bus ride and another mile walk to get to and from work everyday, but I do because I WANT to work :-)

Thank Post
    ^ So get a car then

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Oh i dont take it personally, dont worry.
    It just annoys me when people make blankett statements based on their own very limited experiances. They seem to forget that they are 1 in 50odd million people living in the UK, so chances are their experiances are going to be very different from someone living in another part of the country.
    I don't make blanket statements just goose feather and down quilt ones guaranteed 100% experience and experience only from all parts of the world.

And no other country (not even America) gives a damn about their work shy sub culture as much as England and our p*ss p**r band of politicians who are only out for themselves.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendes View Post
    Sure there are lazy people but I'm proud that I live in a country where I have the freedom not to work if I don't want to and the chance to work and achieve if I do.
    And as someone who chooses to work and achieve surely I should have the freedom to spend my money as I wish and not see it pay for the lifestyles of those who can't be bothered to work? I have no problem paying for those who are out of work for a short time, or who are actually unable to work, but as far as I'm concerned if someone's choosing not to work then they can also choose to not have any money.

18. 2 Thanks to jamesb:

bossman (14th January 2009), webman (14th January 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast