+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 92
General Chat Thread, Makes you proud to be British....... in General; Originally Posted by webman If he was so desperate to work, he wouldn't avoid the "factory jobs" that he doesn't ...
  1. #16


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,387
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 350 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    If he was so desperate to work, he wouldn't avoid the "factory jobs" that he doesn't seem to like. It can't be that bad - like mattx said - they have plenty of jewellery, phones, TV, computer, tobacco...

    It's not the country's fault or the government's fault they have no qualifications - if it was, everyone at their school would have left with no qualifications.
    He didnt say he doesnt want a factory job because he doesnt like it. He said he doesnt want one because you end up turning up for work only to be told "go home, you're not needed". Which as i said ends up with you having no job and no money coming in.

  2. #17

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    Thank Post
    1,056
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Rep Power
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Well said.



    A week tripper is around 30% of their weekly "wage" so you can understand if they dont want to go to town, spending what little money they have, only to be knocked back.


    I think people forget that once you are out of work it is far harder to get a job. Plus if you live on your own, you're on the dole, your bills are getting payed, you have food in the cupboards... You then go and get a job, it lasts a week and then you get layed off, you then have 6weeks+ before the dole gives you any money. What do you do for those 6weeks? Not eat? Not pay teh council tax, your rates, your rent... And how exactly do you go looking for work when you have no money to pay the bus driver?


    Sorry rant over, but i hate the very simplist view some people have based on the fact they have been brought up in a good area with plenty of oppertunities...
    Sorry, don't agree. I put it simply - the two people in this sad tale are just bone idle and lazy. There are jobs there, they just think they are better than those jobs. The girl wants to work with children but has no qualifications and money to get them. So, do the factory work, go to night school - [ as you are now being paid ] and get your qualifications. Stop spending money on fancy things like ciggies, phones and going out. Spend it on some night classes, sort your life out and dump your lazy boyfriend who would not know a hard days work if it hit him in the face. As all he wants to do [ as stated in the interview ] is get on the Telly and be in Eastenders.
    My rant over.

  3. #18
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    He didnt say he doesnt want a factory job because he doesnt like it. He said he doesnt want one because you end up turning up for work only to be told "go home, you're not needed". Which as i said ends up with you having no job and no money coming in.
    exactly.

  4. #19
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    I'm sorry but if you want to find a job you will.
    There are plenty of jobs out there to take on, I've done all kinds of rubbish jobs that I hated, but the fact you are paid is enough for me. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can't be looking for something better or a college course in the evenings. I'm sorry but being on benefits for 3 years is just lazy. There IS work, check your local agencies and job centres and you will see there is work for unqualified people but again the excuses of "I don't like it" is not good enough. You don't like the job but you are willing to sit on your arse moaning about not having a job. What a load of rubbish.

    These people need a kick up the arse for them to realise life isn't all roses and not everything is given to them for free. (I know there are cases which are valid, but these two are obviously cheating the system because they have doused themselves in excuses)

    It's not what you say it's what you do.

  5. #20
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post

    It's not the country's fault or the government's fault they have no qualifications - if it was, everyone at their school would have left with no qualifications.
    Really ? SO the govt. can take plaudits about any successes [however minor]
    in terms of number of school leavers receiving A-G's or how many go on to do media degree at some ex-poly......but it's not the govts. fault that people leave without qualifications ??

    Do you work for the labour party ?

    Where's all the money gone over the last 10 years.....i thought it was entirely about not allowing people to fail.

  6. #21


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,387
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 350 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Sorry, don't agree. I put it simply - the two people in this sad tale are just bone idle and lazy. There are jobs there, they just think they are better than those jobs. The girl wants to work with children but has no qualifications and money to get them. So, do the factory work, go to night school - [ as you are now being paid ] and get your qualifications. Stop spending money on fancy things like ciggies, phones and going out. Spend it on some night classes, sort your life out and dump your lazy boyfriend who would not know a hard days work if it hit him in the face. As all he wants to do [ as stated in the interview ] is get on the Telly and be in Eastenders.
    My rant over.
    You obviously havnt ever been in that situation then. Very very few factory jobs are regular day shifts. So doing a night class is out of the question. I get your point but your lack of experiance shows through with simplistic comments like that. Her only option is retail work, but would you employ her looking how she does?


    If i were to lose my job i know i would find it hard to get another job and it wouldnt be for lack of trying. If i were a betting man i would say ive done worse jobs than 99% of people on this board. A jobs a job, it earns you money. But on the flip side i do know people who "wouldnt dare do that job" so im not saying everyone is teh same as me...

    Id be in a far better situation then they are as i have a car (another massive point people forget because they take it for granted. Remember these pit villages are in the middle of nowhere so you will be very limited to where you can actually work).


    //Ive just looked at your profile. Can i ask, have you always lived in and around london, because london and the north of england are very very different places.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 14th January 2009 at 02:16 PM.

  7. 3 Thanks to j17sparky:

    gwendes (14th January 2009), SteveT (15th January 2009), _Bat_ (14th January 2009)

  8. #22
    gwendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,473
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Sorry, don't agree. I put it simply - the two people in this sad tale are just bone idle and lazy.

    Perhaps, but that isn't the root of the problem. Working in a low end, unskilled job is not the solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r
    I'm sorry but if you want to find a job you will.
    You might. I might.

    I think you'd actually need to live where these people do to make a decision about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Sorry rant over, but i hate the very simplist view some people have based on the fact they have been brought up in a good area with plenty of opportunities...
    Couldn't agree more. That's not to say that there aren't (and I'm sure this thread will attract plenty of anacedotal evidence) people that pull themselves out of poverty with hard work but you can't take such a simplistic view of such a complicated problem.

    Having lived in a deprived area and worked in very poorly paid and low skilled jobs I know that it isn't something that you just 'pull your socks up' and fix. There's a reason that the term 'benefit trap' is used - people become trapped by a system that is geared towards unemployment.

    For the record I have never claimed any benefits or received financial support (other than my own credit card!) It is possible but I consider myself reasonably intelligent.

    I feel sorry for some of these people. Some.

  9. #23
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    I think you underestimate the amount of people who have found themselves in that position. But look where we are now?
    A little effort and a little determination to actually wanting a job and doing something about it.
    Here I am working steady for the past 3 years, before....... lazy, couldn't be bothered. I repeat I never signed on, but have I paid for those couple of years not bothering, yes i've just about paid of the debts.
    Oh wait... is it because I got two D's at A-Level that i'm suddenly more employable or is it more the fact I have a clue about the world isn't an easy place and yes you do have to get off your arse.

    I can't get a job or lose my freebies!??!!?
    What a joke, pay for things like everyone else and if you want the 'high-life' deal with the debt that brings and learn from it.

  10. #24
    gwendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,473
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    You obviously havnt ever been in that situation then.
    Couldn't agree more and I've been accused of being a raving Tory on occasion!

  11. #25

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    Thank Post
    1,056
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Rep Power
    739
    The longest I was out of work for was 2 weeks and I was pulling my hair out with Boredom.
    I was soooooo desperate to get back to work I took a job in a kitchen. I then went to college - [ 2 buses and two trains ] for 2 years and got some qualifications - [ which are worthless now as they have nothing to do with my job ] - I also during this time went to night school and got my 'O' level Maths.
    This was during MASSIVE unemployment. My Dad pushed me and if it was not for him I don't think I would have got as far as I have today. I have lost count how many jobs I have had since leaving school, but I ALWAYS had something no matter how s*** it was knowing one day I would get something better. And my Dad always made sure I had a job and made me understand how important a job was in life.
    I feel sorry for the people in the story as they clearly want a better life but don't yet understand they actually have to work for it.
    They are just Lazy, still if they want to p*** away their benifit money on Ciggies, mobile phones, jewellery & going out to cafe's then it's no wonder they can't find a job.
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:32 PM.

  12. #26
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    If I sound a little stern and harsh in my posts today it's coz i'm having a bit of a relapse. Apologies!

  13. #27


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,387
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 350 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    The longest I was out of work for was 2 weeks and I was pulling my hair out with Boredom.
    I was soooooo desperate to get back to work I took a job in a kitchen.
    Im sorry but the more you say the more you are proving my point. 2 weeks out of work is nothing, i think the least ive been between jobs is more than 2 weeks.
    And whats bad about working in a kitchen? My current job is the only job ive had which is better than working in a kitchen. Im sure the 2 people in question would jump at the chance of working in as good a job as that!

  14. #28

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,243
    Thank Post
    772
    Thanked 804 Times in 670 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    299
    It's funny I can see both sides of the argument here. On the one hand half my family are in the same position as these two here. I was dragged up on the worlds biggest council estate (Dagenham) and to be honest you feel so far down life peeking order you wonder if it's even worth crawling out of bed most morning.

    Seeing friends and family (including my parents) continuously find themselves in this situation gave me the will to go out and stay employed no matter what. It's alot about self believe and self worth. I don't want to be in that situation again, so I won't.

    It's very tough getting good honest paid work if you have no skills, no experience and no qualifications.

    I've only been unemployed once, and that was for about two weeks. It tried to sign on only to be told I did not qualify. The social 'helped' out at 30 a week! I was forced into temping - factory work. If you've ever worked in a factory you'll understand why people will avoid it if at all possible. The worst job I've ever done.

    The I worked in a petrol station. I couldn't believe the stress level involved for such a low paid no future job! It was only getting off my arse and going to university that got me where I am today. And I couldn't have done that with out the support of my (then unemployed) parents.

    I can see, once you've convinced them to give you money, why you wouldn't take up a factory or no future retail job. You've either got to retrain or get in with a large retail chain, and you've got to be willing to get out there and make it happen.

  15. 2 Thanks to tmcd35:

    bossman (14th January 2009), _Bat_ (14th January 2009)

  16. #29

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,853
    Thank Post
    1,160
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    Rep Power
    323
    I have worked 18hr shifts in the freezing cold up to minus 20 at 16 years of age because I had to support myself as no one else would, retrained got an apprenticeship at nearly eighteen in the textile industry but still had to get on a bus travel 20 miles just to walk up and down the industrial sites in Hull asking for jobs at the receptions.
    Have moved about the country on more occasions than enough chasing work sometimes sleeping rough as I had no money but you keep going.
    Some employers were too busy to see you some would invite you in for tea and a chat even if there were no jobs but would put you on a list.
    It's about getting out there off your a*rse and selling yourself even if you don't have qualifications as that is no excuse.
    Now nearly fifty years of age i have been made redundant 6 times but never been out of work cos i have a responsibility not just to my family but to myself and my self esteem, which seems to be sorely lacking in today's young people.
    It is a vicious cycle of parents not working and passing on the traits to their children til it gets were we have up to 3 generations who have not worked in their lifetime, bad crack that is and the Government is also partly to blame on this issue for being too bl**dy soft on work shy people who think it is good that they don't have to contribute for their own upkeep.
    Take away the dole and benefits and how would they survive some say, well just the same as when there wasn't such a thing.

  17. 2 Thanks to bossman:

    mattx (14th January 2009), webman (14th January 2009)

  18. #30

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,853
    Thank Post
    1,160
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    Rep Power
    323
    @tmcd35:
    Proud to know you.
    This is where I hail from

    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bransholme[/ame]
    Last edited by bossman; 14th January 2009 at 02:56 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. proud nix newbie
    By alonebfg in forum *nix
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd September 2007, 09:23 AM
  2. Microsoft makes MSDN Library free to download
    By NetworkGeezer in forum Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st July 2006, 07:54 PM
  3. What makes EduGeek so good
    By ITWombat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th July 2006, 03:46 PM
  4. Northampton girl makes good...
    By russdev in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th February 2006, 06:30 AM
  5. What a change a new ICT Co-ordinator makes!
    By RobC in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th August 2005, 01:07 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •