+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, MP SAYS DYSLEXIA IS A MYTH in General; BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | MP brands dyslexia as a 'fiction' This man is an idiot and should ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

MP SAYS DYSLEXIA IS A MYTH

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | MP brands dyslexia as a 'fiction'

This man is an idiot and should be lambasted.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 14th January 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    He obviously knows nothing about Moths

On a serious note - if he is suggesting that people with Dyslexia are under achievers due to poor education, how does he explain the A level students we have that get A* .

And how does he explain those that suffer from dyslexia but with certain coloured lenses are able to read and write exceptionally better?

Agreed - the man is a muppet

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,972 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, what an idiot!

Thank Post
    I'm not agreeing with his comments but I'm concerned that we are making too much of an issue of trying to diagnose people with 'conditions' to make up for the fact they're finding something difficult.

It worries me when it comes to exams aswelll. For example when two pupils sit an exam but one of them is dyslexic so is given a laptop, spelling checker and an extra 30 minutes in the exam! If both these pupils get the same grade could you honestly say that they're both of equal ability given one had an advantage over the other? Surely their level of ability should be reflected in the grade they recieve in the exam?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 14th January 2009 at 12:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,972 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I'm not agreeing with his comments but I'm concerned that we are making too much of an issue of trying to diagnose people with 'conditions' to make up for the fact they're finding something difficult.

It worries me when it comes to exams aswelll. For example when two pupils sit an exam but one of them is dyslexic so is given a laptop, spelling checker and an extra 30 minutes in the exam! If both these pupils get the same grade could you honestly say that they're both of equal ability given one had an advantage over the other? Surely their level of ability should be reflected in the grade they recieve in the exam?
    It isn't about saying they have the same ability - it is about not penalising them because of a medical condition. Equal opportunities and all that.

If we don't do this, then it means that people with conditions won't get jobs, and won't be useful members of society. So what if they do it 20% slower? At least they can do it.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This MP guy is dangerous - does he want a return to the practices of the 70's, which was when I was at school. Struggling pupils were labelled as thick and put in special classes - usually being dumped in a room with other 'thickos' and being left with some old dear who read abc books with them and played with plasticene - the cause of much misery simply because their condition was unknown then. One of my best friends had his school days blighted and ended up leaving school with no qualifications because his dyslexia was unknown, untreated, not catered for.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 14th January 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    I agree with this but not so much with Dyslexia. The testing is very well developed and tested now. The biggest problem is parents trying to push their disruptive or lazy kids as having it when they haven't, but the testing shows this.

Other conditions I am more dubious about.

Thank Post
    I think the way in which he has explained himself, and the way it is being reported has not done him any favours. But I believe there is some truth in what he is say though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't about saying they have the same ability - it is about not penalising them because of a medical condition. Equal opportunities and all that.
    What's the point in making kids sit exams which are then graded based on their ability if that grade turns out to be meaningless because all of the pupils aren't sitting the test under the same conditions ? Surely the whole point of exams is to discrimintate against people depending on their level of ability!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 14th January 2009 at 12:54 PM.

10. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

webman (14th January 2009)

Thank Post

I cant say i disagree with you. Both myself and my brother have dyslexia. Even just writing this post up to here i have had to correct 2 spelling mistakes but i didnt take the attitude of "i have dyslexia therefore its alright that i cant spell", i put the effort in...

Having dyslexia shouldnt be about having extra time to do your english exam so that its "fair". When you get in the real work no company will make such concessions. It should be about finding out what the kid is good at and focusing on that. As has been proven in many fields, lack of ability in one area quite often means you will excel in another.

I believe a fairer way to go about exams is you shouldnt be marked down in a science exam for having poor english (barring science specific terms), but you shouldnt get extra time to do it.

On a side note i hate people who correct spellings. So what i cant spell, but i bet im better at IT, maths, science... than you are. As long as someone puts the effort in to make themsleves understood then i dont really see a problem with a few mistakes here and there (but as i said thats no reason to use the "i have dyslexia therefore im not even going to try" excuse)
    Last edited by j17sparky; 14th January 2009 at 12:36 PM.

Thank Post
    I have dyslexia and I agree with some of what the muppet says! I was educated in the 1960's & 70's when there were no allowances for dyslexia such as longer exam times. Did it hold me back? Dunno you tell me - I graduated from university with a BSc in Computer Science and I've been working in IT for 30 years. You don't need financial help or longer times in exams. You learn to live with your condition and make the best of it.

I am well known for my meticulous work; I check everything many times, a hang over from when I used to triple check my work.

Thank Post
    What's the point in making kids sit exams which are then graded based on their ability if that grade turns out to be meaningless because all of the pupils aren't sitting the test under the same conditions ? Surely the whole point of exams is to discrimintate against people depending on their level of ability!
    Well I am dyslexic and I had a reader for some exams I recently sat.
    What they did was that I read the question aloud to them and then they either said ok or said re-read the question.
    I WANTED someone who knew nothing about the subject so that they did not influence in any way what I understood the question to be. They were only there to make sure I had read the question correctly.
    I think that this guy is an idiot. BUT I also think that a lot of poorly performing kids are using the 'banner' of things like dyslexia to explain away their bad performance.
    I am a qualiied teacher and when I taught adults, I had quite a few adults that were dyslexic.
    One in particular I remember. Her mum was dyslexic, and she was also.
    She had been brought up with the attitude that she was thick and would never amount to anything.

When I explained that I was also dyslexic and that I had an IQ of 156, Microsoft Certified, and a host of other qualifications, she was amazed!
    As I said to her I see it as a gift, not a curse.
    Dyslexic people just need to learn in a different way.
    When we do, we can take in information at great spead and quantity.
    I have Visual impairments as well and dyspraxia. but rather then use them as an excuse, I think of how I can use my strengths rather then my weaknesses.
    Yes I have had some equipment bought me to help and yes I have to use other means to do some things(the computer and talking books rather then written work).
    My own 'soap box' is people who think that dyslexic people are just people that can't spell properly.
    My world is pictures NOT words. I mentally translate everything into pictures. I learn visually.
    Yes I can read and write. I can 'chrysanthemum' but not simple words like 'the'.
    We are all different and need to find out how to learn.
    Alan

14. 4 Thanks to salan:

GrumbleDook (14th January 2009), SteveT (14th January 2009), tech_guy (14th January 2009), webman (14th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Surely the whole point of exams is to discrimintate against people depending on their level of ability!
    Exactly, although tricky to actually put into practice. This is where the whole "personalised learning" stuff should come to the rescue - ideally, pupils should be taught whatever is most suitable for them. However, this is currently pretty much impossible to put into practice - schools contain a limited number of teachers, who know particular things, and teaching time per child is limited. In the vaguely-distant future that we're all working towards, each child might simply use "school" as a place where they sit and watch video-conferenced lessons on subjects of their choosing, but we're not quite there yet. Actually, just to add insult to injury, it is of course the dyslexic children that would struggle more with an online text-based learning environment.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    This man is an idiot and should be sacked.
    Unfortunately he can't be sacked, only way to remove him against his will would be to elect somebody else at the next election.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Unfortunately he can't be sacked, only way to remove him against his will would be to elect somebody else at the next election.
    More unfortunately, most people in his constituency will have forgotten all about this when the election comes around and will just vote for the candidate of whatever party the tabloids tells them is better (though with the drubbing Labour is getting it will probably mean he is out anyway).

An awful lot of people pay no attention to the actual person they are voting for in elections, they just look at the party and vote according to which party they want; just look at the last local elections. Labour lost a mountain of seats, not because the local councillors were doing a bad job, but because Labour's image at a national level was so poor.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast