+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Car Trouble - HELP! in General; I dunno I think ryanb with his 2 coils is the winner. Ben...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    I dunno I think ryanb with his 2 coils is the winner.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Sounds quite a lot like when my ignition coil conked out
    = coil pack. Now where's my cake!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Hightower:
    should have realised straight away when you mentioned the make and model, French car doesn't have electronic management system as such still relies on HT leads and ignition coil,
    very old technology but then if you bought something like a VW tdi you wouldn't suffer electrical failures in cold damp weather.
    Maybe time to change eh!

Thank Post
    Hey! There's nothing wrong with my 12 year old beauty. By no means the quickest but I've had no problems with her in 3 years, so when I finally have to change a part it's not really anything to complain about.

Excluding MOT's, Tax and Petrol I've spent 54 on this coil pack, 95 for an exhaust and about 30 for tyres. Not bad for 3 years motoriing huh? The car doesn't have a problem with cold starts (or running) and the RAC bloke said it was just one of those things, wear and tear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:
    should have realised straight away when you mentioned the make and model, French car doesn't have electronic management system as such still relies on HT leads and ignition coil,
    very old technology but then if you bought something like a VW tdi you wouldn't suffer electrical failures in cold damp weather.
    Maybe time to change eh!
    hahahaha! My brother would disagree...his Passat TDi had nothing BUT electrical failures. Body control module, light warnings, engine stops, CL, everything..in the months he had it, it was driveable for maybe 2.

That was a new model. He's traded it for a merc.

Give me old tech. Body control modules? Doorknobs. Relays, thats the ticket. Seperate circuits, easy fix, nice and simple. I've had my P reg astra 5 years now, and wear and tear on suspension and cyl. head apart, it's cost me 1 backbox and 5 years servicing at 30 a time..never glitched, failed or sulked. Cars now are beyond home servicing and maintenance, and I refuse to be locked into dealerships and diagnostic rigs.

I shall continue buying old cars and running them till they drop, doing my own work on them.
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 7th January 2009 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tomorrow's old cars are today's new cars

Thank Post
    indeed..but by the time I buy it for 1k or less and rag the nuts off it until it goes boing, it's a moot point.. If it costs more than I paid for it to make it work, stock-car the thing until it breaks fully, then weigh it in.

By that point, the tech will probably have settled a bit and any bugs will have been sorted. Don't get me wrong, I love tech..but Cars should be less tech and more reliant on drivers learning to control them by hand..how many idiots now think ABS/TC is a cure for crashing, and stability control etc is an excuse to drive like a noob...

Electronics for engine managent and economy, yes. PAS control, maybe..the rest? Can't say as I miss any of it. Why integrate everything into "modules" that kill 50% of the car for a fault equivalent to that of a duff relay, yet at 100x the cost to fix?

Daft. I have no CL/ABS/TC/Aircon/EW etc...manual winders, manual locks, manual heating, Singlepoint Efi with discrete parts that are easily diagnosed and swapped, PAS that runs off an engine driven pump, and an autobox that's quite simple and intelligent, yet isn't so complex that I can't fix it if I need to (like my inhibitor switch failure 2 years ago that Vaux wanted 250 for, yet took me an hour and a tenner to fix)

What i'd REALLY like is to build a kitcar..

Thank Post
    Right, everybody out! Smash the Spinning Jenny! Burn the rolling Rosalind! Destroy the going-up-and-down-a-bit-and-then-moving-along Gertrude! And death to the stupid Prince who grows fat on the profits!

Black Adder III, Episode 4
    Sense and Senility

Thank Post
    The abacus was a step in the wrong direction...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My 06 Skoda tdi is going back to the garage this afternoon after the wipers packed in yesterday morning.

They weren't frozen to the screen as the wiped it once then stopped, washer jets don't work either but the rear wipe does.

I've checked all the fuses and none are blown.

We've had this car less than a year and it's allready had 2 new turbos and door speaker replaced.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123