+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, music stored on network in General; Using the wonderful Edusweep tool, it appears that a few users are keeping a fair amount of music in their ...

Thank Post

music stored on network

Using the wonderful Edusweep tool, it appears that a few users are keeping a fair amount of music in their storage area. Anyone know of the legalities of this?

Thank Post
    just delete it, it's not worth the risk or hassle they may own the CD but probably not, just make sure it's not the music depts. recordings of kids

Thank Post
    We're ruthless here and delete any MP3 files stored in users home folders on account of the fact we can't afford to let them consume the vast quantities of storage that they do.

Staff are told if they do want to use Itunes or simelar, to set it up to use the local C:\ on their laptop, and not their home drive.

Mike

Thank Post
    Cheers people. I don't think I'll delete the work outright just yet. Think I'll announce to people that all music files will be removed from the network after a certain date. As to the members of staff, if they want to keep any music, their departments will have to purchase external drives or somesuch to hold the media.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    Cheers people. I don't think I'll delete the work outright just yet. Think I'll announce to people that all music files will be removed from the network after a certain date. As to the members of staff, if they want to keep any music, their departments will have to purchase external drives or somesuch to hold the media.
    I tried that, and the amount of stink that was caused. Staff weren't happy. I had to put it bluntly that the school isn't a media storage centre.

One teacher tried to get away with it saying 'Oh, but it saves me carrying all my cd's around, and I need it to help me teach.....'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use the following list:

1. Is it a commercial production, if so was it purchased using school funds? If no - it gets deleted.
    2. Is it work created by a child? If so, is it needed still? If not, then it can be put on a disc and deleted.
    3. What is the purpose of it? Is it used for T&L and if so, how? If it is just for background music, then it gets deleted and the teacher told about online radio.

We don't just delete music, as there are some songs floating around which the school has bought etc...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread