+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Google Phone G1 in General; Does anyone have the G1? My current vodafone contract expires in feb and I was thinking about seeing what T-Mobile ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Google Phone G1

Does anyone have the G1?

My current vodafone contract expires in feb and I was thinking about seeing what T-Mobile will offer me to go for the G1.

Ben

Thank Post
    No-one? I'm suprised thought someone would have one.

Ben

Thank Post
    Looks like you could be the first then The other half looked at it, but went with the Blackberry Storm instead so can't help unless you fancy one of those....

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I've been looking at the G1 but the build quality put me off. Thinking of getting the Storm now as I spent yesterday morning playing around with a colleagues.

Thank Post
    I was put off the storm after reading reviews of it and saying how creating emails on it is now harder due to the clickyness of the touch screen which is obviously where blackberrys have been good.

Also no wifi on the storm which is a bit of a let down I think the ver 2 storm will be better.

The storm is being reviewed on the gadget show next week.

Ben

Thank Post
    I've never used one but looking at the photos/dimensions it's hideous looking brick IMO and I wouldn't consider it purely because of the size and dodgy looking ergonomics of the thing. It's literally like Google went to HTC and said "can we buy one of your old designs you've never used (because you thought it was rubbish) on the cheap!"

Thank Post
    I had a play with one the other week in a shop but I think I'll have another look at it before deciding I'll have to get them to let me have one in my hand rather than the one that was bolted to it's display stand.

Ben

Thank Post
    It got some really bad reviews, esp build quality and battery life.

Dont think i would get one.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a play with a G1 in my local T-Mob shop but was put right off when the flip up screen became partly detached as the sales assistant opened it.

@plexer thanks for the info that the storm is being reviewed on Gadget next week - will tune in to see what they say and to ogle SuzyP....

Thank Post
    I've got a G1 - really pleased with it. I've had a lot of Windows Mobile and a couple of Blackberries before now and always been disappointed with them.
    I'm always looking for a phone that will do as much as possible and HTC do some great phones features wise but the Windows Mobile OS always lets them down, sluggish performance for no apparent reason, IE mobile is crap. Even simple elements such as the cameras produce really poor results.
    Android is a really snappy OS, the built in browser is the best I've used on a mobile device. Downloads seem much faster than on comparable Win Mobile devices, the interface is generally well thought out and can be controlled with a finger rather than requiring a stylus and the Android market makes it really easy to find add apps.
    There are some cons, the battery life rarely makes more than a day and Android doesn't yet support A2DP. The G1 is a bit on the large side but this tends to be the case with any smartphone and IMHO the build quality is better than a lot of reviews made out. The built in GPS is really fast at aquiring your location but you can't currently use it for turn-by-turn navigation as you could with Win Mobile and tom tom.
    I'd describe as a typical Google project ie, they have released it whilst still in beta and there's still a few rough edges. Still a great phone for the geeks though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread