Poll: IT Recruitment Agencies

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, IT Headhunters \ Recruitment Agencies in General; Originally Posted by Mandy It is also illegal for them to change your CV, so any good one won't!! Unfortunately, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    It is also illegal for them to change your CV, so any good one won't!!
    Unfortunately, there's loads of really, really bad ones staffed with twitter-using new media nitwits, especially around London, with a habit of building on incredibly feeble links between cv content and required job specs. Kind of like a vet being sent for interviews as an elephant keeper. He can technically do the job, but it's not what he's looking for and an experienced elephant keeper would do a better job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would also look at following podcasts offer some good advice on the subject.

How To Handle Headhunters (Executive Recruiters)

How To Handle Headhunters - Part 2

Regards

Russell

3. Thanks to russdev from:

somabc (10th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMason View Post
    Not true.

Firm's budget is X. If they recruit without an agency, their costs are X+Y. If they recruit using an agency their costs are X+Z. Y is almost always larger than Z. It's cheaper for them to use an agency than to successfully advertise the position, manage the responses and draw up an acceptable interview shortlist.
    Very much depends on the organisation and how they're set up to do it. In education I suspect that your figures are rarely true because time isn't costed in the same way.

In my last job I was regularly approached by agencies whenever we were advertising. Their charges were typically 4-5 times what we spent on advertising. I'm sure that you could (probably should!) argue that the time we spent on reading forms and CVs should have been costed but it wasn't - in my case I'd normally do the work at home (less distraction!) so I wasn't missing other work in order to do it.

It also means that you can be much more flexible when looking at forms. A couple of the best people I recruited almost certainly wouldn't have got through the agency process; they didn't tick the right boxes in terms of criteria but we thought they were worth interviewing and we were right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    I used an agency to try and find me a job and yes they did find me one but it wasn't quite me but will say they were very good, helpful and a good lot to deal with so would do it again, my issue was not enough access to education clients in it, I didn't want to be a desk based helpdesk, I do enjoy going out there and getting dirty hands as it were as well as the strategic planning of things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    I also used to be an IT headhunter and would say this:
    I wouldn't deal with anyone who rang me up cold in the manner described: real headhunters have someone they are specifically targeting rather than: 'are you unhappy with your position?' type questions.
    A good recruitment consultancy can be worth their weight in gold - I used to have a really good working relationship with the IT companies in my area, to the point where I could ring them up and tell them that I had a great candidate and they would see them straight away. Due to high recruitment costs in terms of man hours etc many companies only use the big agencies: basically they ask for a short-list and leave it all to the agency.
    Having said that: don't discount the smaller fry - sometimes an HR person will place a job with someone like Reed because that's what they always do.
    Remember: YOU are in control. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Make sure you know enough about the job before you go for interview - don't be fobbed off with vagueness. (I never saw the point of this from the agencies point of view - what's the point of sending someone unsuitable for the post?). Try and arrange a telephone interview if distance/time etc is a problem, so that you have a feel for the job before you take time off etc
    The bottom line is: does the job sound of interest? Just that. If so, go along and have a look - don't think any further than that at this point as it would be speculation.
    A good recruitment consultant will work hard for you AND the client.
    If anyone needs any more advice, or help with CVs etc, I am here for you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also remember with bsf schools are not doing recruitment but companies are which means they use headhunters. Also there is big difference between a job agency and IT Headhunter.

Agencies - fill jobs
    Headhunters - Recruit People

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information