+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Lost my way... in General; ...
    Thank Post

Lost my way...

Hey guys, feeling guilty for posting a moan, but no one to talk to.

I got a job at a new Academy with the promise of a new building to look forward to. I took the post coz I was unchallenged in my last role, and looked forward to planning a new network infrastructure, something Iíve never done before.

Well, it turns out that all the technology, hardware and software is being planned by some third party consultancy and my team have no input.
    I found out today that the ďIT Technicians OfficeĒ will have a total of 4 cat5 points and 8 mains points and will be 12m square without windows with a maximum occupancy of 3 people.

We are currently 3 people. So despite the massive increase in ICT provision in the new build there will still only be 3 of us.

And no windows, coz us IT folk donít care about daylight and the outside world.

These planning guys havenít a clue.

I am so down-hearted about this.

What do they need a network manager for? I thought Iíd be spending the next 18 months planning and testing.

All I am doing is plodding along keeping the current network going (coz of course they donít want to invest in something thats gonna be scrapped).

I need a new career. Definitely out of education, Iíve had enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I sympathise. It's very disheartening when organisations don't tap the in-house talent they are paying for and instead throw money at external suppliers who (in your case) clearly do not have a clue what they are doing. I'm currently looking at other positions for a similar reason, and the private sector is looking very tempting right now.

In the end, you need to do what's right for you. Remember though that not all schools are created equal, and some private sector companies are @%!hats too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    It sounds like life is grim at your school... BSF? It sounds like it. You have my sympathies.

Don't give up on education IT... if you go for a secondary school find out what is happening on the BSF front, otherwise you may end up in the same boat.

Primary schools aren't part of the BSF programme and can offer many challenges.

Independents are also an option. They don't offer limitless cash (especially since the Credit Crunch when pupil numbers are a concern), but they do have to keep up with the state sector and preferably have someone in charge with the imagination to help them exceed state sector provision.

From my own experience, I have found it is better to move on than remain in a post unhappy. Good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Primary schools aren't part of the BSF programme and can offer many challenges.
    I too can mirror this comment...

If you want challenges then Primary schools are definitely all that and more.

Many have systems and networks that are archaic in the extreme and need some hard work to get them back into this century, much less this year.

That said, you're going to want to find a cluster and see what you can do with a group of schools but the rewards are pretty amazing, albeit non-financial ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    I agree: I have a Primary (well I will have in Jan) and a Middle school and there are certainly challenges!
    Have you spoken to those who employed you and asked them how this fits in with the job description you were given? After all, you have nothing to lose and the answers may clarify things if not make them better.
    is it really too late not to influence at least the Tech office layout? Can you start shouting? I must admit I probably would

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz View Post
    Hey guys, feeling guilty for posting a moan, but no one to talk to.

I got a job at a new Academy with the promise of a new building to look forward to. I took the post coz I was unchallenged in my last role, and looked forward to planning a new network infrastructure, something Iíve never done before.

Well, it turns out that all the technology, hardware and software is being planned by some third party consultancy and my team have no input.
    I found out today that the ďIT Technicians OfficeĒ will have a total of 4 cat5 points and 8 mains points and will be 12m square without windows with a maximum occupancy of 3 people.

We are currently 3 people. So despite the massive increase in ICT provision in the new build there will still only be 3 of us.

And no windows, coz us IT folk donít care about daylight and the outside world.

These planning guys havenít a clue.

I am so down-hearted about this.

What do they need a network manager for? I thought Iíd be spending the next 18 months planning and testing.

All I am doing is plodding along keeping the current network going (coz of course they donít want to invest in something thats gonna be scrapped).

I need a new career. Definitely out of education, Iíve had enough.
    Chill Matey.

We're in the same boat here - appointing a 3rd member of the team, I'm senior tech, and we have a NM too. Also going to a new building etc..NOT BSF, but similar - we appear to be "outside" BSF, on a parallel track.

We DO have a limited amount of consultancy, but the "architect" as it were of the new build "IT wise" is an IT Director, and has made LOADS of provision for IT.

However, he has lumped us (it appears) with HIS system of choice - Mix of Win2k3/Novell Servers and Vista (or hopefully XP if we can persuade) desktops. They're running it up, then they'll hand over to us and withdraw, but be on hand if needed.

They're also taking the website, and turning it over to a "uniform look" DNN setup.

As it is, for the last 8 years we've been "babysitting" this LEA network - not what I'm used to. At least we will be running the new show.

We've just been asked if we can shave the figures...so we've evaluated our stock and said "we can shave a good 50-60k off the costs.."..that was fun. Try asking for input - we did...they didn't think we'd want any. Now we've got quite a good 2 way comms going.

We'll also be windowless, and 3 of us to suppot a much larger place than this is now. Bring it on, I say...I like a challenge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another recommendation for a job in Primary.

I support a cluster of Primaries and I think I can say that you won't have another job like it (in a good way (mostly))

I believe that you get a freer role in primary schools as mostly they are looking for someone just to take over the technical side and take it forward. I have taken on and implemented things that I honestly don't think I would be able to get going at secondary or in business. At least this is my experience and knowledge of other primaries who take taken on technicians.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i can vouch for the independent route. moved here from a state school where we were never listened to, and had the same as you.....tiny room with no natural lighting, no AC, etc.
    Here my input is appreciated and I am having to project manage the infrastructure parts of a new block being built. find somewhere you are appreciated, because the longer you stay where you are, the longer you will feel as you do and that it is hopeless moving on

Thank Post
    Who actually told you that you couldn't have any input? Is it because everything has been agreed now and they are starting to build soon? If not, could you not just request that you are involved in the planning from now on?

Thank Post
    I feek for you - it was very similar here - and it does make you cross. However, they will need an NM to put right all the rubbish that gets done by the consultants - that'll keep you busy for the next few years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread