+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Going Travelling in General; Right, for a while I've been completely bored with where I live, my job, just everything really. So I've been ...

Thank Post

Going Travelling

Right, for a while I've been completely bored with where I live, my job, just everything really. So I've been thinking about going travelling for a few months next year - afterall with no commitments it seems like the perfect time.

But however, that was before the financial crisis had got as bad as it has. So now, while I still want to go, I'm a bit worried about not being able to get another job when I come back - does everyone think IT will see as many job cuts as other industries?

So my main question is, does anyone know if its possible to take a sabbatical in a school? I'll ask the question anyway at work, but just wondering if anyone has done it? And does it depend on the LEA or the individual school?

Cus I think Im skilled enough to get some sort of IT job when I return, but it would be nice to not have that worry

Thank Post
    It's theoretically possible, I just don't know anyone who's tried.

Thank Post
    well i did it but my school wouldnt hold my job for me even for 6 months.

got nothing to come back home to except living with wifes parents.

god knows what im gonna do if i come back

mark

Thank Post
    I suspect that it might depend on how long you have worked for the LEA. I know people in our County who have done it but they had 15+ years under their belt.

My son packed in a good job to travel. He's just had an exciting time getting from Laos to Sydney via Thailand. He was working on the principle that he would quickly get a job when he got back but I suspect that we are going to have to support him for a while.

However, with hindsight he still would have done it. So I'd sau go for it, you are only young the once.

Alternatively, you could ask for a couple of weeks unpaid holiday before and after the summer break and that would give you 10 weeks with a job to come back to.

Update: Just had an email from son. "Any chance I could borrow some money?"

So my other recommendation, make sure you have parents who are a soft touch!!!
    Last edited by laserblazer; 8th December 2008 at 08:23 AM.

Thank Post
    One of the public schools round here actually encourages it. Staff seem to get 6 months of every 3 or 5 years (can't remember which) and I suspect it's only teaching staff.

Go to be worth asking the question though!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go for it and go for longer - my wife and I jacked everything in when we first met - gave up our jobs, sold the house, the car, the lot, and spent 11 months travelling around Australia, Thailand and India.

We came back to find the country in what turned out to be the peak of the economic boom and then moving on in to the start of a recession in the early nineties. We came back with the clothes we stood up in and £500 and we eventually got good jobs and houses, mortgages, kids and everything else that being boring entails.

Go for it - you'll never regret it and you'll have the time of your life. Best thing we ever did.

Thank Post
    A few years ago I did get a 6 month unpaid leave of absence. Just spoke to the head in the first instance and then had to write a letter to the governors explaining what I wanted to do and why. They agreed as long as they could find a short term replacement and I agreed to give them at least two months notice if I decided not to come back.

Best thing I ever did...spent the entire 6 months travelling safe in the knowledge I was coming home to my old job.

Thank Post
    If you are thinking about it, then do it! I did in the late 90's went and had 12 months travelling and really enjoyed it. I gave them plenty of notice to get someone in a bit before I left (4 months) so we had a handover period which they appreciated, I then kept in touch with them while I was away. 7 months down the line I got an email asking about when I might be returning to the country as they wished to expand the support team. (It had been a one man band and the extra man didn't seem to get through the volume I had)

So even if you do go away with no plan for return sometimes things crop up. Something might even crop up that keeps you away!

I would definately have a conversation with your head / supervisors. The worst they can say is no!

I'd also try and get a holiday work visa for some of the places you are visiting so you can earn a bit of cash while you are away (can keep you away longer) whether it's in IT or not. Australia and New Zealand used to do them and you have the possibility of working anywhere in the EU.

If it all goes pear shaped though....

Thank Post
    Some useful replies, cheers
    Sounds like its definately worth asking then, they might surprise me with their answer!

I was only planning on a few months around Europe at first, since its the first time I've done anything like this, and I'll be on my own, but I'm not against staying longer/moving on to another continent (money permitting!)
    Suppose if I cant keep my job open and it gets even harder to get a job then I may be staying a lot longer!

Also, I would love to go to Australia & the fasr east too but I think the costs of the flights may prohibit me for a while Thats the reason I want to do Europe - can all be done by train! (I hate flying)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Cus I think Im skilled enough to get some sort of IT job when I return, but it would be nice to not have that worry
    This being the information age and all, could you simply take a netbook and mobile broadband dongle with you and simply keep working as you travel?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The lad who used to run our repro dept got a sabbatical for a year while he went to Australia. Someone was taken on as temp for a year but because he didn't come back, the post was readvertised and she landed the job full time. I suppose it all depends on the head.
    In all honesty it's up to you. I feel that you've only one life to live and there's a lot to see and do out there.

Thank Post
    Traveling was the best thing I ever did. Made some life long mates, saw so many amazing things, can't wait to again.

Do it!

Anyway my cousin a teacher went away for a year traveling round the world and still had her job at the school when she came back.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Quick update - I asked the question a month or so back and although I think they were a bit surprised at the request (not exactly sure why) they have let me have the whole summer off, plus a month before the end of term, giving me 2 months+ to travel round SE Asia and Australia

In a way I would have liked longer but in another way this is a good amount of time, and Ive still got a secure job open to me when I come back, which is something I'd struggle to find if I quit.

So now Ive just got to do the hard stuff like booking flights, getting jabs, and finding out where I want to go!

Thank Post
    Well, I went and I'm back...unfortunately!

Got back last week, did 9 weeks in total, and I predictably had the time of my life.
    Did a load of islands in Thailand, few places in Cambodia, a brief bit of Malaysia, and a few weeks in Oz...great fun and met sooo many cool people

Getting back to work hasnt been as bad as I thought, in fact it barely feels like Ive been away . At least my liver is having a chance to recover now
    Only problem now is I want to go straight back out again...for a lot, lot longer than 2 months. Think a bit of saving up then perhaps a career break is in order

Highly recommened it to anyone thinking about it, for any amount of time. Asia is incredible

And thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! So glad I did it

Thank Post
    Thanks for keeping us updated

I wish me and the other half could, and we really want to, but our jobs are now stable after me tossing and turning between three in two years, and were a month away from a 25% deposit for a mortgage. We just want something of our own.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information