+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV's in General; In the new year I plan to treat myself to a new TV and Xbox, now the Xbox isnt a ...
    Thank Post

TV's

In the new year I plan to treat myself to a new TV and Xbox, now the Xbox isnt a problem, the TV is
    Im think 42" Plasma full HD, that is the limit of my knoweldge of TVs and anyone offer advice?

I dont have sky, but have have generic satalite, and it will be mostly use for the xbox and watching TV (strange that), am considering pluging in a spare PC so I can catch on the unmissable, that I've missed.

Thank Post
    I have a similar predicament, i want to upgrade my my 30inch CRT to a 40-42 inch plasma or LCD for genereal telly watching and the wii for the kids.

I have looked at many websites the best one i found was which.
    LCD and plasma TVs - Which? Reviews

However I am still undiceded whihc one to go for. I have wnadered many a electrical superstore look at which ones i like. LCD seem a lot cheaper but I dont like the movement ghosting and teh fake colours on them unless you go for one with a high resoloutioin and contrast ratio the new 100hz Full HD 1080p look amazing, however they get expensive!!!

Plasma are duller but the picture qualitly looks better. They are little more expensive however I have heard horror stores of plasma gas bubbles bursting and them needing refilling.

How much were you looking to spend?

Thank Post
    I voted for Plasma a year ago.... 42" 1080P Panasonic with a 5 year warranty.

I believe Panasonic have an offer at the moment which includes 5 year warranty depending upon where you buy from.

I am surprised you found the plasma sets dull, this has not been my experience. The blacks are much darker on plasma than LCD (or they were last year).

You can tweak the image quite a bit to suit your tastes & room ambient lighting. We have Sky+ and a PS3, the PS3 with Blueray is very good. The 42" plasma makes a very good projection screen for HD video (also Panasonic) or still photos streamed from my Windows Home Server acting as media server to the PS3

My daughters boyfriend tried Sky HD and sent it back because the audio signal was out of synch with the video signal. Apparently there's loads of discussion on the www about this. He said the picture quality was excellent but couldn't cope with the sound problems.

Thank Post
    If you pause the picture or have static backgrounds then go for LCD as plasma suffer from "Plasma burn" where eventually the screen becomes burnt with images. The higher the "contrast" number the better, the best are acheiving 20000 at the moment. There are supposedly only 3 factories producing LCD screens so take your pick from the manufacturers but "Samsung" are the leaders in this field. Rumour has it Plasma will not exist in a couple of years time, all down to costs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pioneer have already stopped making plasma screens I believe.

I went for a 46" Bravia LCD about Feb or March and its been great.

Thank Post
    Hmm... Sorry to have take over your thread Newton!

The one i have been looking at the most is the LG scarlet 42 LCD, anyone seen any thing on these or got any recomenadtions on it?

I also thought the plama burn is sorted on new plasma as they have a automatic gas refresh?

Iwas also told that its not allways the contrast ratio that goves the best picture its the software matrix ability to refresh in time? Thats why the viera and bravia ranges are so good or am i being spun a line.

I want to spend arround 600 quid on mine but dont want to end up with one i hate!!

Id be alright if it was a pc lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My brother used to work for Currys. Apparently the returns rate on LG's left something to be desired. At the other end of the spectrum, Samsung's and Philips are very nice TV's.

Thank Post
    Hi, I just purchased a Sony 40W4500 (40" LCD) for similar reasons. I can say having used it for approx 2 weeks now that it is worth the money. Standard Definition TV looks great and is much better than I expected. PS3 games look fantastic with no lag that I can see. Blu ray films look excellent and are definitely worth the extra cost over dvds, although upscaled dvds also look a lot better. I have a HTPC hooked up to it also and the desktop is very usable at 720p, good enough to use as a monitor even.

A really good source of info is AVForums.com and I would recommend thinking about purchasing from john lewis as you get free delivery and a 5 year guarantee (they will also price match so long as you match against a store that has a proper shop not just online) plus a 30 day no quibble returns policy.

Richard

Thank Post
    I'm no fan of big TVS....the MIL has a plasma, big bugger it is too. HORRIBLE to watch. Pixelation, aspect stretch, image tearing, and the energy usage? Equivalent to a 2 bar
    fire. Ridiculous in every sense.

I have a 20something inch Tosh CRT, does the job lovely. Any replacement will be TFT, not more than 20-25 inch, and a power usage of 50watts or less. Or I might use my freeview stick and our retired Vaio..heh..that'd work quite well..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    My brother used to work for Currys. Apparently the returns rate on LG's left something to be desired. At the other end of the spectrum, Samsung's and Philips are very nice TV's.
    I hate LG (as anyone who knows me will tell ya) because everything (and i mean everything) I've ever had of them has been rubbish so as a general rule i dont buy anything LG.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I'm no fan of big TVS....the MIL has a plasma, big bugger it is too. HORRIBLE to watch. Pixelation, aspect stretch, image tearing, and the energy usage? Equivalent to a 2 bar
    fire. Ridiculous in every sense.

I have a 20something inch Tosh CRT, does the job lovely. Any replacement will be TFT, not more than 20-25 inch, and a power usage of 50watts or less. Or I might use my freeview stick and our retired Vaio..heh..that'd work quite well..
    I dont really like them either. My flatmate has his 32" LCD in our front room and Im not going to complain about that, but I've still got my old 28" CRT at my parents which will be my main TV if/when I live on my own. Far better at displaying anything that isnt HD (and I dont own anything that can produce HD anyway)

Thank Post
    Don't worry about Highjacking the post, its all good info.

Looking to spend 700 tops not including xbox.

Edit: Brother just told me I owe him 65 for his xmas presents, and jsut way to much on tires for car

Sorry just wanted to use it

Thank Post
    We've got a 32" Toshiba Regza LCD and that seems pretty good and was reasonably priced. No complaints at the TV quality from the built in Freeview, Wii looks good on Component and XBox 360 is stunning on HDMI.

Thank Post
    I bought a Samsung 32" full HD LCD [[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32A457C1DX-LCD-Freeview-tuner/dp/B00179WGP0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228241252&sr =1-3"]Very similar to this model[/ame]] last year and I've had no trouble at all. Even considering stopping the 5 a month insurance from Curry's, but you know what will happen as soon as I do that...

Overall I've been very pleased with it. 360 games look fantastic and the DVD up-scaling breathes new life into old DVDs (but that’s a console thing).
    Standard Def TV varies depending on the channel but the ghosting/trailing experienced with LCD is minimal and you don't really notice it after a couple of days.

I'd recommend Samsung LCD and if I was shopping around for one now and I would look for one with a wireless connection to stream stuff straight off the network.
    Last edited by Anon; 2nd December 2008 at 06:12 PM.

Thank Post
    We have a Vistron 32" HD LCD we got from ebuyer for 300.
    That is sufficiently large for our lounge, and the xbox 360 looks great on it - as does sky.
    We also have a desktop hooked up to the PC - and that is one of the best things, however the flash iPlayer doesn't look that great.
    The only problem with the Vistron is that there are no sky remote codes for it, so we have to use the TV remote for adjusting volume etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast