+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fraud & Banks in General; My brother is in Afganistan atm. His bank phoned our house today, they left a message on the answer phone ...

Thank Post

Fraud & Banks

My brother is in Afganistan atm. His bank phoned our house today, they left a message on the answer phone asking for him to phone back asap in regards to fraud.

My mum got the message so phoned them straight back only to be met with the scripted reply of "You are not the card holder, we must speak to the card holder".
    After repeatedly telling them he was in Afgan and we wouldnt be able to get a message to him, never mind the fact he most likely wouldnt be able to have a long winded convosation with them, the women just hung up.

Is there anything we can do? The way i see it the banks next course of action will be to freeze his bank account, which will leave him with no access to his money until he can contact them! And if they cancel his card he will be stuck until one is posted... to Afgan!

Surerly banks have heard of the armed services, and that we just happen to be at "war" atm, theres got to be some kind of procedeour we can follow?

Any gen?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 1st December 2008 at 07:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    can't you phone and claim your him?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hmm. We just had this the other week aswell. His car insurance renewal came up. I phoned up pretending to be him but made a pigs ear of it lol! The women threatened to call the cops etc so i dont fancy doing it to a bank in the current climate. Besides, why should i have to do that?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Besides, why should i have to do that
    Because the banks are bloody idiots and will land your brother in it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    and you will then be commiting fraud.

Thank Post
    Is it actually his bank?

None of my banks have my mobile number yet I keep getting people ringing up saying I maybe overdue in claiming fees back etc... I just play along with them, wasting their time.

Thank Post
    Sounds dodgy to me. I would contact the security department at the bank and ask their advice. A friend in South Africa told me that someone from Standard Bank phoned her to try and get her PIN number and he had all the other details. When she refused, he got very shirty, she got suspicious, he's in jail!

Thank Post
    When my mum phoned the bank they knew what it was about, they just wouldnt tell her.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    When my mum phoned the bank they knew what it was about, they just wouldnt tell her.
    Find out if the bank will let your brother set up a proxy. I've done this with a lot of my wife's contracts because she hates speaking to companies on the phone. I know I can deal with several companies on behalf of her.

You should visit the bank and speak to a personal adviser face to face - it's a lot better than the phone. Or failign that, a letter to the customer services manager asking them what they do in these situations.

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could get official papars from the forces stating he is away and unreachable and take them into the bank and speak to the manager at the branch and see what he recommends.

Thank Post
    Cool, good thinking people. I didnt know you could set up a proxy, no good now but for the future...

Lets just hope we can sort it out before they break his account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    My husband works overseas a lot. He has had to write letters to the bank and the credit card company authorising them to talk to me if I give a particular password.

This happened after problems with his card while he was in India.

The daftest security was a holiday company that refused to deal with me as I hadn't made the booking. However, they would talk to me if my other half sent an email authorising me to speak to them... so 'he' did ... OK I sent the email in his name It worked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    My brother is in Afganistan atm. His bank phoned our house today, they left a message on the answer phone asking for him to phone back asap in regards to fraud.

My mum got the message so phoned them straight back only to be met with the scripted reply of "You are not the card holder, we must speak to the card holder".
    After repeatedly telling them he was in Afgan and we wouldnt be able to get a message to him, never mind the fact he most likely wouldnt be able to have a long winded convosation with them, the women just hung up.

Is there anything we can do? The way i see it the banks next course of action will be to freeze his bank account, which will leave him with no access to his money until he can contact them! And if they cancel his card he will be stuck until one is posted... to Afgan!

Surerly banks have heard of the armed services, and that we just happen to be at "war" atm, theres got to be some kind of procedeour we can follow?

Any gen?
    One route you could take is to get a message to him about this, and for your brother to contact his pay clerk or his Regimental admin officer out there and make them aware of the situation. They will have the resources to sort this out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Pay Clerks will sort this out, contact his Regiment (or regimental association if the regiment is on short strength due to deployment).

God bless the AGC ... keeps the army paid and on the system when all else fails.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    when i was away in australia for a year I had my old dear registered as power of attorney for me so she could act on my behalf in my absense.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast