+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Skype. Which schools use it and why in General; Worth noting that skype now offer "SIP to Skype" - Pete (aka Robot) and I have had a bit of ...

Thank Post
    Worth noting that skype now offer "SIP to Skype" - Pete (aka Robot) and I have had a bit of a bodge with it, but not managed to get it fully sorted in our environment.

Looks promising though. SIP suffers from fewer of the problems some posters have described, as the control port is predictable. Still not as controllable as HTTP etc. but then it is a realtime protocol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_ View Post
    However, the general netiquette of forums means that unless it is directly related to the OP, it's best to start your own thread.
    Ah, but resurrecting a thread to carry on the same discussion (as this one is) is surely more sensible than having two threads on the same topic. At least, this way we get to see all comments on if/how people are using Skype in classrooms (something which I got asked about only a few weeks ago).

Thank Post
    I think Skype for staff use is an excellent idea and will be talking to SMT about using it for communication on site - video, voice and IM, could be a suitable substitution/lowcost solution instead of MS Lync? Is anyone on here thinking about using Lync at all?

As for pupil use of Skype - I would also air on the side of caution although I do think GrumbleDook's info about the school offering a "home learning" day is a fantastic, forward thinking idea for its use in education.

Thank Post
    Is anyone on here thinking about using Lync at all?
    I recall Ric_ posting a lot about that on Twitter. I may have imagined it though!

Thank Post
    Our service provider are very anti Skype, not sure the reasons why I believe I heard them say some thing to do with insecure.

We use that with our staff, at the moment we are happy not using it.

Thank Post
    Staff only use (x2 staff) head of boarding- to talk to boarders parents\potential new boarders from abroad and head of RAD to talk to parents of boarders from abroad ref behaviour etc... Really so they talk face to face.

Thank Post
    Not Skype, but along similar lines, we have Google Apps for Education which includes Chat. This can be locked down so only chosen users have access to it and also set to internal-only. This is new to us so we haven't actually used it yet, however our thinking is that when someone wants it, we will create a user account for the other person for the duration of the chat. That is obviously more time-consuming for IT Support but given how infrequently we envisage this happening, I can't see it being a problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have started Skype, but only for certain users.....SMT and the like, for video-conferencing.

One interesting point from last friday.....

Due to the number of people who had the news, streaming, Skype was like watching a 56K dial-up convo, from 2000!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fathead View Post
    I think Skype for staff use is an excellent idea and will be talking to SMT about using it for communication on site - video, voice and IM, could be a suitable substitution/lowcost solution instead of MS Lync? Is anyone on here thinking about using Lync at all?

As for pupil use of Skype - I would also air on the side of caution although I do think GrumbleDook's info about the school offering a "home learning" day is a fantastic, forward thinking idea for its use in education.
    I've been trialling a Lync implementation here. The primary aim is to replace an aging (and fully used) telephone system.
    The added bells and whistles (video, whiteboard etc) will be a bonus.
    It's very difficult to get (teaching) staff to see it as primarily a business tool, and not a video conf toy.

10. Thanks to jc1875 from:

fathead (22nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    We have Skype as a facility for students to chat to family (boarding school). The PC's with it on are those in the tutor's room in each house so are only accessable when there is a member of staff on duty to supervise (i.e. no getting up at 1 in the moring for a cheeky "webcam" session with their "friends").

We have also had a big push on internet safety recently trying to teach the pupils what effects there actions online have.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    We have Skype as a facility for students to chat to family (boarding school). The PC's with it on are those in the tutor's room in each house so are only accessable when there is a member of staff on duty to supervise (i.e. no getting up at 1 in the moring for a cheeky "webcam" session with their "friends").

We have also had a big push on internet safety recently trying to teach the pupils what effects there actions online have.
    Similar experience with us. Big pressure from overseas parents and their children; also big pressure from families who have come from schools already offering Skype. Still really trialling things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123