+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Microsoft Live @ Edu in General; I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Microsoft Live @ Edu . I'm particularly interested in the ...
    Thank Post

Microsoft Live @ Edu

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Microsoft Live @ Edu. I'm particularly interested in the free Exchange hosted email solution for students to replace our horrible LGFL solution (we've not moved to Fronter yet, don't ask why!)

So, has anyone used it? Is it any good? What is the support like? Is it really free?

2. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

SYSMAN_MK (27th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Yup, we signed up for it and had a quick play. Seems OK.

We're looking to unify our solution currently for staff/students so this wouldn't work as they specifically say no staff!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Just taken a look. Looks good, hotmail for your domain. Accounts even play nice with Live Messenger.

Thank Post
    Live@edu is free for BOTH staff and students. It's possible to enrol on the program and have the service hosted either on the Hotmail platform or (preferably) on the Exchange platform.

I was very interested to read your discussion thread and am responsible for this programme here in the UK on behalf of Microsoft.

Feel free to contact me for more details.

mfox@microsoft.com

6. Thanks to matthewfox1972 from:

SYSMAN_MK (2nd December 2008)

Thank Post
    Hi Matthew,

I have fired you off an email because whilst I'm pleased to read what you've written, it directly contradicts what is written on my Connect Dashboard for the Edulabs connection.

Who can use Exchange Labs?

The initial rollout of Exchange Labs is designed for select schools and universities as part of Microsoft Live@edu. Microsoft Live@edu “powered by Exchange Labs,” lets these select academic institutions easily connect to students and alumni with e-mail, and integrates these users into existing on-premises Exchange Server deployments that support faculty and staff. We have combined the best-in-class features of Microsoft Exchange Server with the ease and convenience of online hosted e-mail.
    Now if you're telling me Connect is wrong and that I can use this service for staff, I'm more than happy to give it a go and see what happens.

Thank Post
    Upon some further investigation, it would appear one can go a stage further and sign up for an extended beta/nda applicable service which allows temporary (during beta) free accounts for Staff/Faculty.

No charge for Faculty and Staff while the service is in Beta (Students and Alumni are always free).
    Nonetheless, very interested in your input Matthew, and I'm pleased that edugeek is pulling in yet more powerful people

Thank Post
    If you are referring to the @mail product I agree that it is terrible but LGFL have just launched a new email service based on exchange with CRB check tech support for students. It also has a separate server farm for staff and students. I think it looks ok check it out here cms.lgfl.net - LGfL Email

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes i have been in contact with the guys on the Live@Edu Team, we were going to have it.. but went down our own exchange server instead in the end.

But i was very pleased with how it all works.. they ticked all the right boxes for me.. supurb.. i think they did one thing right at least up there a Microsoft.

If you want to speak to the guy i spoke to drop me a PM and i will send you his email and phone number. (he did say i could pass his details on)

Great project

James.

Thank Post
    The Exchange Labs offering has been extended to staff and students. Details that you see on Microsoft websites will change accordingly in time. Incidentally, we have been working with LGfL to implement Exchange Labs for students in London - this rollout continues in partnership with LGfL.

You should take a look at the TechNet site dedicated to Exchange Labs.

Microsoft Live@edu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread