+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Verified Role Status for EduGeek in General; On some occasions there's a need to share slightly more security sensitive information with others but generally speaking this can't ...
    Thank Post

Verified Role Status for EduGeek

On some occasions there's a need to share slightly more security sensitive information with others but generally speaking this can't be done on an open forum platform like EduGeek, due to students and 'others' sniffing around.

Nothing wrong with an open platform, I fully support EduGeek and what it aims to promote for EduTech's but what do people think about a forum set for "verified" Network Manager's and ICT Technicians?

This could be achieved by an email from your work email address with some basic information:

- Full Name;
    - EduGeek Username;
    - Role;
    - School Name;
    - School Telephone Number.

Obviously this would required some management and time behind it which is something to look at later on but for now the question is:

Do you feel that a forum set for more sensitive issues, not publicly visible to non-members or "standard registered" members, would be of benefit?

If people felt this would be a good idea obviously I'd be happy to work with the EduGeek Admin's. I'm not suggesting that the workload for you should be increased if this idea is felt as a potential future addition.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,532 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What sort of things would be posted in this board?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What sort of things would be posted in this board?
    On occasion security flaws/proxy sites/"observations" of various natures get noted.

- We don't really need students or end users surfing the board to find the latest unfiltered proxy site/security flaw before we have a chance to check EduGeek ourselves.

- We don't always say what we think due to how "public" forums are.

I'm not suggesting the forums should be used for "bitching" or anything "more adult" but simply host slightly more "verified, secure, honest" discussions.

Thank Post
    I suppose Students could have school e-mail addresses. Do you see the school being rang up to confirm that x member of staff works in that establishment.

We have close to 10,000 and I know that the majority are not regular visitors, but the need to ring them all who wish to be part of the additional forum would cost a lot in time and money.

I think something similar may have been discussed before and due to the time constraints it was felt that it was a non-starter.

Thank Post
    I understand that there's certain identity verification issues and a time/cost one too.

However, we have some of the best Techs on this forum and I'm sure one way or another (as a team) we could pull something together which could produce a successful outcome.

On the other hand maybe something simple as a web page upload to the schools web server like:

http://school.com/edugeekconfirmid-user.html

Either way it's more finer tuned "How do we do it" stuff.
    Last edited by DG01; 21st November 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im a student and have FTP access to a folder on my schools website for my ICT course so that may prevent the file uploading idea.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by My220x View Post
    Im a student and have FTP access to a folder on my schools website for my ICT course so that may prevent the file uploading idea.
    But I'm sure they don't give you root FTP access...

i.e. public_html relative to http://www.site.com/_______

So a carefully placed file like /edugeekverify-user.html or /edugeek/verify-user.html would eliminate the element of students with FTP access.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by turrellj View Post

So a carefully placed file like /edugeekverify-user.html or /edugeek/verify-user.html would eliminate the element of students with FTP access.
    Yeah they don't give me public_html relative, so your idea of carefully placed files would work, even though I am a student I still think this would be a pretty good idea as I think NM and Techs need a private area to discuss things such as vulnerabilities and such.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turrellj View Post

Some of us have websites managed by third parties too. Ours points directly to our VLE solution so I wouldn't be able to do what you propose.

Thank Post
    But an alternative could be:

- 30 second call to the school?;
    - emailing the default office@ (or other email listed on website) to verify your ID?

But a finely tuned list of methods to verify someone's identity could be drawn up. Question is if we found a method suitable do you feel that this would be a good idea?

Thank Post
    Who would pay for the calls?

Yes it's a nice idea if it could work.

Edit: Not sure if this would be possible but how about when you register you have to use the office@ email address in order to be placed into the group. Then after that you can change your email. You would need access to the office@ email to validate the registration so nobody would get through?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 21st November 2008 at 10:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Members to send a school letterhead via fax?

Thank Post
    Anyone (staff or student) can lay their mits on a letterhead and fax it...

Thank Post
    I tend to know the people I want to talk to when it comes to things like those you outlined so I take mine to a multi user pm as Edugeek by default allows 5 recipients. This is useful enough for me.

I've worked on forums with private subforums with eligibility issues etc and it's even more of a manglement nightmare to contain.

Everyone has suggested viable means of vetting status but each one has its own caveats and workarounds.

Just my view ofc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Who would pay for the calls?

Yes it's a nice idea if it could work.
    Well being as it's my idea I'd be happy to work in with the EduGeek Admins and any few volunteers that there may be in defining verification methods and managing the project.

I personally have a tonne of contract minutes left at the end of the month so to me this idea would be a good cause to use those minutes on.

It's not something I can obviously say the volunteers would pay for because that's their decision but others may find themselves in similar positions to me who are able to free up 30 minutes to make some quick calls.

I feel that the potential benefit to the community/professional base here could be rewarding which is why I'm so open to spending time towards seeing the idea through.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast