+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Verified Role Status for EduGeek in General; I would not share any sensitive information with anyone no matter if they are verified or not. And I dont ...
    Thank Post
    I would not share any sensitive information with anyone no matter if they are verified or not. And I dont wish to give anyone my place of work name, school number and full name.

If I have to go through that prosess to discuss problems and find solutions I will just go elsewhere that requires no more hassle than registering.

My opinion

Thank Post
    This isn't about completely revamping the EduGeek registration system or loosing half the excellent technical support in the existing forums.

It's simply a proposal to have more "sensitive" stuff in a "secure" forum.

This is one of the good features about the RM Communities - cutting off access to non-technical support personnel, however, the issue there regularly is the Communities Charter which prevents discussions with regards to filtering and non-RMish or forum covered issues.

EduGeek has the perfect platform for both an excellent general technical resource and also a more sensitive forum set-up to verified technical personnel.

I'm surprised you would respond so lightly to the topic and say: "I will just go elsewhere". The point is to pull together the professionals that care about their networks and end users without compromising integrity.

What cost do you place on the possible benefits of this idea going ahead?

- The one minute to send an email or upload a html page, or via some other simple secure verification method.

Again verification methods would need to be talked about but we're talking very simple quick verification methods.

The key has to be simple and easy for all.
    Last edited by DG01; 21st November 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Thank Post
    I suppose another verification option would be to send letters to schools with the applicants job title included and a verification code inside to be emailed back.

Again it'd cost but maybe it could be funded by sponsored ad's - also I assume theres some way to get discounted postage, maybe some of the sponsors can send at reduced rates?

Thank Post
    I said I will go elsewhere for the reasons I stated, I dont want to share any information about where exactly I work or my name. Ill practice what we preach to kids about internet safety.

The exsisting forums cover pretty much everything, a good example would be a post I made yesterday asking about exchange. I asked a question, walked away to return later to find the answers I was looking for. I thanked the person for his time. And when I have time of my own I try to help others with their questions.

Thank Post
    All I'm going to say is that's absolutely fine.

Reiterating the idea is to discuss more "sensitive" issues in a more "secure" format. If you chose not to go through verification then it would make no difference at all compared to your current EduGeek experience - you just wouldn't be privy to any discussions within the "secure" format.
    Last edited by DG01; 21st November 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Hummm nice idea but I think this a soution to problem that doesn't really exisist. For a start the surity forums are not, AFAIK, trawled by Google. Also if you have concerns that pupils may be viewing sensitive information then filter it via the schools proxy.

Thank Post
    An example of when a person in a position of trust within a school would share sensitive information with relative strangers would be?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    An example of when a person in a position of trust within a school would share sensitive information with relative strangers would be?
    Quote Originally Posted by DG01 View Post
    On occasion security flaws/proxy sites/"observations" of various natures get noted.

- We don't really need students or end users surfing the board to find the latest unfiltered proxy site/security flaw before we have a chance to check EduGeek ourselves.

- We don't always say what we think due to how "public" forums are.

I'm not suggesting the forums should be used for "bitching" or anything "more adult" but simply host slightly more "verified, secure, honest" discussions.
    No mention of sensitive information (with respect to data or students) anywhere because that would be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

In this case "sensitive" is stuff that we understand the potential security/safety risks of but don't want students or other end users necessarily exploiting them before a solution is found or it is addressed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Hummm nice idea but I think this a soution to problem that doesn't really exisist. For a start the surity forums are not, AFAIK, trawled by Google. Also if you have concerns that pupils may be viewing sensitive information then filter it via the schools proxy.
    Can I just point out that we have students actively registering to EduGeek in attempt to find out the latest flaws and proxy sites which are not filtered etc...

This is what the idea is trying to achieve to protect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    they could just as easy get that information elsewhere

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The conversation about security via obscurity has been had before and Geoff has covered why it doesn't really achieve much (shouldn't take long to go through all Geoff's posts ... )

We have thought about verification and so far decided against it for a number of reasons, including the sheer amount of time it takes to verify it all. And what happens when you have commercial companies that want to take part in the discussions such as security vendors (eg smoothwall and sophos), solutions providers (eg RM), etc?

I am not saying that it shouldn't be thought about ... but just that it has been and we haven't been able to come up with a cast iron reason to put the effort in.

Majority of the sensitive discussions would be available elsewhere anyway. i have yet to find anything that would not be found elsewhere ... merely more difficult to find.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    hat if access was granted based on the best facepainting?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    hat if access was granted based on the best facepainting?
    I'm a dab hand at paint by numbers so count me in.

Thank Post
    A possible solution would be to have a group of verified members (those that are known to be in the trade) who are willing to nominate prospective trade members.

For example, I email Grumbledook expressing the wish to join. He can then email office@........sch.uk verifying who I am. I think the idea of a more secure forum is good. Not only for the reasons mentioned. I had an irate supplier email me on the basis of a post. I should hasten to add I've also had suppliers email me with the best of intent - Dan

Thank Post
    Create a webpage with a message for the admins on their school webserver. Forward the address to the admins. That would surely verify identity.

On the registration for Edugeek:
    "If you are a tech, please place this code somewhere on your school/company website and type the address in the box below. This will verify your identity as a genuine tech and you will have access to more secure areas of the Edugeek Forums. Once you are verified, you are free to remove this page."

Just an idea.

No more work for the Admins other than verify the page exists for tech registrations

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast