+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, fire in General; We have some emergency equipment for this sort of thing in our cricket pavilion (next to the assembly point) which ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    We have some emergency equipment for this sort of thing in our cricket pavilion (next to the assembly point) which routinely backs up data from the main network via an outdoor line-of-site wireless link.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post

Incidentally, do you also take registers after school and require all staff to sign in and out of school each day?
    That is often a weak point in many school's fire procedure. If the fire occurs after school or during a holiday, do you know exactly who is on site, who has gone home, and who couldn't be bothered to sign in/out?

im not sure if we do have a register of who staff who is in and out of the school each day. in the hols we do have to sign in and out..i know its hard covering this topic as their is so much that could happen

Also, your health and safety person will (should!) go mental at the suggestion that somone should, rather than evacuate immediately, log in, download some files, print them out.

we are having a review of the whole fire thing and im just trying to come up with some ideas. but one memeber of staff did say that it sound like a good idea i dont know i know some people may differe the only other thing is just to keep printing of reports after each lesson but thats alot of paper

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    We have some emergency equipment for this sort of thing in our cricket pavilion (next to the assembly point) which routinely backs up data from the main network via an outdoor line-of-site wireless link.
    Properly secured I trust?

We're also in the throws of reviewing our current policy and whilst yes, it is best endeavours, it really does pay to meet as many situations as possible.

Thank Post
    We have Vericool School Reception here, but registers are taken on paper. The reception screen is mainly for staff/visitors and late pupils to sign in/out on.

The administration side of vericool is all on the server (other end of the building) and only 1 other computer is linked to it. The person who uses this computer arrives at 9:30 and leaves at 2:30, what happens if a fire occurs during the other school hours??? No one else has training!

The printer in reception is very slow going at 4 ppm (as vericool prints in colour!) not to mention that it takes a long time to load the software and even longer to run the fire report.

The school do have a backup plan, if vericool doesn't work (can't imagine why!! ) which is to put a slip in all of the registers before giving them out which asks:

1. Do you have any visitors in school today?
    2. Are they with you now?
    3. As far as you are aware have any pupils gone home today?
    4. Do you have any other pupils from somewhere else in the school with you?

After purchasing Vericool, I brought up the point, what if "staff member" isn't here to print off vericool report, What happens if the server isn't working/on fire, what happens if the link between rooms is on fire, what happens if printer jams, runs out of paper/toner, what happens if person get caught in fire after waiting for print outs?

There reply was: "We may have to rethink a few things"

Thank Post
    At the school i used to work at, we had 2100 kids and it was deemed sensible that the kids would stay in the lessons they were in and line up like that rather than regrouping in that mornings form groups. The teachers would know who was in their class at the time, as would the kids. They simply report back anyone missing. The fire cheif agreed this was a better and more reliable way than relying on technology and endangering lives be keeping people in the building to print things off.

Thank Post
    We share a campus with the neighbouring school. We also have an additional campus, making the use of tutor group based registers impossble.

Instead teachers are responsible for making sure all the students they were teaching at the time are pressent after evacuation. They are also responsible for reporting their room as 'cleared'.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGjxO_Bfac

I stay in my office and email the emergency services.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 19th November 2008 at 01:29 PM.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    you could always scrap the lot and go with bromcom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Properly secured I trust?
    Just as secure as the rest of the network (by which I mean "very").

Thank Post
    I wasn't trying to be pedantic, just wanted to check... Scary things do happen!

Thank Post
    I used to work for a certain company whose name begins with C, supporting and training on MIS software beginning with S, including Attendance. (before I came back to work in a school again, but that's another story!)

The advice we were always given to pass on when this question came up was that if there were potentially more than 30 people in a building then a list of who they are was not required as the fire brigade would search the entire site anyway, so the fact that registers were not readily available for fire drills was not in fact a problem. I make no claim as to whether this is in fact true, but it may be worth checking out with your local fire service as you may be worrying over nothing.

HOWEVER I can well see that for peace of mind of those involved it may well be beneficial to have a list of who should be in school and given the above, any of the suggestions already mentioned would fit the bill. In our case we print off who's absent at 10.00 (or thereabouts) when registration closes and then use ready printed, laminated, reg group lists to call the register when the fire bell rings. Our school is not large (NOR ~400), so the chances are that with a reg group list the form tutor will remember who wasn't in anyway, but it's confirmed by the absence list.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    I wasn't trying to be pedantic, just wanted to check... Scary things do happen!
    lol I was thinking the same - imagined a server sat on a table in the corner of the changing room of a leaky pavillion

Like someone else said, you cant cover every eventuality. The best you can do is have something, be it electronic or paper in the school office. If that is what is on fire, then well there isnt a lot you can do.

If theres a decent evactuation procedure anyway, with staff checking toilets etc as they are leaving buildings, the chance of anyone getting left in there should be VERY slim. Problems would only arise with staff, who are the ones likely to be off site without signing out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12