+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sat Nav in General; What are the best Satellite Navigation's on the market at the moment? Why is it better than the others. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sat Nav

What are the best Satellite Navigation's on the market at the moment? Why is it better than the others.

I don't know much on this subject

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    TomTom or Garmin.

You'll get supporters for both, but they are both good. I think the TOMTOM has more .... safety camera... locations recorded

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,496 Posts
    We have TomTom and it's been excellent... although I'm still finding my way round many of its features.

Very impressed by the speed cameras overseas - it saved us about a mile from Avignon last summer!

Find the routes it suggests are nearly always sensible - although we've had to to agree to disagree with it on occasion! (I'm sure this applies to any Sat Nav)

Unlike me if I'm map-reading, it doesn't shout at the driver when he chooses to ignore it... it just recalculates the route.

No comments about my map-reading skills please...

Thank Post
    Have a 'classic' TomTom. Love it. I got the traffic and camera subscription and find it helps a lot. The camera warning is incredibly useful from the perspective of you now know why the idiots ahead are slamming their brakes on. Traffic has kept me moving on many occasions, though I haven't done any head to head comparisons on whether the alternative route really is quicker or just kept me moving.

It also has some helpful features that you can decide or not if they are any good, such as warning signal if you go over the speed limit by 5mph or a warning alarm if you travel over a certain speed. Having the GPS speed is good as well as often the car one is under so you know your margin of error.

I have always found the TomTom to be easy to use and nice and simple to use one fingered while (carefully) using on the move. It even passes the Dad test.

Thank Post
    I have had a tomtom for a bout 3 years and its great.

Be carefull when using speed camera locations abroad as they are illegal in most countries and get you arrested and a huge fine. I think france is one of them!!!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    They are totally illegal in france, they'll take it, and drag you to a cash point to withdraw money for a fine.

So don't be a monkey like most people I see on the way to work who use them instead of windscreens, having them stuck right in the middle of their vision (which is acutally illegal)

Thank Post
    Yeh i have it bottom right of my windscreen near the a pillar.

Thank Post
    I have a Garmin which is pretty good. One of the things we did in Portugal was to drive down tiny back roads until we were well and truly lost and then get it to direct us home. Which it managed in all cases. Maybe not by the most direct route but when your lost that's not an issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    They are totally illegal in france, they'll take it, and drag you to a cash point to withdraw money for a fine.
    I don't think that is correct. The French ban ' radar detectors', but are Ok with satellite navigation as I understand it.

EDIT

Hmmm...

Just found this: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/ar...ticle_id=45642

and this

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...in-france.html
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 14th November 2008 at 01:37 PM.

Thank Post

TomTom

I am a big fan of TomTom, I have never had a dedicated sat nav, its always been installed on my Smartphone and my PDA and I love it on both.

Using a smartphone is ok, screen can be a little small at times, Motorola A1000's are now an old phone and cheap on ebay, because of the large screen they are excellent for TomTom.
    PDA's again are excellent, using a PDA or Smartphone means your device is multifunctional, it does mean you need a seperate GPS unit but these are down to 25 new on Ebay.

I used TomTom for 3 years while working nationwide as a field/install engineer, it saved me many hours and miles. It did get it wrong but these were a handful of times, best was being sent down a greenlane with a Merc Sprinter

The Find Alternative Router is a life saver.

I have not tried any of the alternatives but to be honest for me TomTom has worked so well I have not had a reason to look at anything else.

Thank Post
    Sat Nag - I Want One Of Those

This is a good all rounder.

Thank Post
    Might be buying a few of those as xmas pressies

Thank Post
    Just one thing the Tom Tom speed cams have improved but still don't match the Pocket GPS data. You can have spoken warnings as well.

IIRC the cost is less as well.

I'm using a trusty TT 500 that has worked great. Currently doing family history research and have used the TT to take me to locations that have been mentioned in census records etc.

Navigated faultlessly to small villages all over Hertfordshire.

No experience of other PND but TT is easy to use and as reliable as any other.

Thank Post
    Garmin all the way
    When i was reading around to buy mine I heard several 'horror' stories about TomTom's. I suspect this is because they are the more popular sat-nav and some people do follow them blindly. The main reason I got my Garmin was because it was one of the only sat-navs that could get traffic information for free (via FM radio) rather than bluetoothing to my phone and using the internet thru that.
    I can't think of a time when my sat nav has failed me. Although its due a map update (I've had it well over a year) and thats going to cost 60 because it's all of europe which is a tad annoying!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    Sat Nag - I Want One Of Those

This is a good all rounder.
    already got one of those in real life

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast