+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Travel tips - Switzerland and Austria in General; Myself and Mrs (to be) Joe are planning our honeymoon this afternoon. We're looking at two weeks in Switzerland, Austria ...
    Thank Post

Talking Travel tips - Switzerland and Austria

Myself and Mrs (to be) Joe are planning our honeymoon this afternoon. We're looking at two weeks in Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein in August 2009. Anyone any tips on what to see and what not to see? The Glacier Express is already on the list! We'll be flying into Geneva, travelling around by train and staying in hotels (my hostelling days are long gone!)

Cheers!

Joe

Thank Post
    Switzerland is a fantastic country to visit; clean, well ordered, peaceful with fantastic scenery. We were there on holiday this year in August for about 10 days. We stayed in Visp & Interlaken, we went by motorhome but made extensive use of public transport while there. I would recommend the railway system and public transport in general, it is fully integrated and keeps excellent time. The Post buses are good for local travel & to some of the more remote places not served by the trains. There are some good deals on 'rover' type tickets which entitle you to free/reduced travel costs. We were even given a free bus pass in Interlaken.

Pay Interlaken a visit if you can, and visit Schynige Platte. You can take a trip on one of the lakes in a steam-driven paddle steamer too. The Jungfraujoch trip is SERIOUSLY expensive & not worth doing unless a) you want the bragging rights b) have money to burn. You can get a terrific view of the same mountains from the Schynige Platte for a fraction of the cost and there's a fantastic (free) alpine garden at the top.

You mentioned the Glacier Express; you can do the same journey using 'local' trains at reduced cost if you want. Not quite so romantic; they are a bit slower, stop more often but you get the same view. You can break your journey too if you see somewhere to stop for a while. Also, if the weather turns bad you can always do something else, if you pre-book on the Glacier Express you have to travel or lose your money

Visit Zermatt, and take the trip to see the Matterhorn, there is a rack railway that takes you up to Gornergrat (just over 3000m above sea level) where you get a typical (fantastic)tourist view of the Matterhorn. While in Zermatt, look out for the local Police car. It's a small electric vehicle not unlike a milk float, as are most of the other vehicles in Zermatt. (Cars are banned from the village).

3. Thanks to broc from:

joe90bass (11th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks!
    We'll be getting the travel passes beforehand, from what I've read we'll just need to pay for reservations on the Glacier Express. It'll be our one extravagance on the honeymoon, along with a real posh hotel for a few nights, as it'll also be the missus 30th when we're away as well!

I was reading about Zermatt, we've planned one night there before going on the Glacier express, I'll see if we can squeeze enough time in for a trip up the Matterhorn as well!! Interlaken is on the list for a visit already

Thank Post
    My parents have an appartment on the side of the lake over there in a nice little village called St Gingolph there is loads to do round that area depends on what your interested in though. there is the montreaux jazz festival on around that time of year I think? loads of mountains to walk around there is a glacier open all year round at a ski resort called les diablerets (Glacier 3000) part of gstaad i think. obviously mont blanc is available to go up. Zermatt is a lovely place you can go up to the summit of the kleine matterhorn i think by lift pretty much.
    sorry if thats just one big block of mumbo jumbo.
    if you have any questions just ask.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread