+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, toothache...arrrgghhhh in General; Went to the dentist on Monday to get a dislodged filling redone as it started really hurting. The nice dentist ...

Thank Post

toothache...arrrgghhhh

Went to the dentist on Monday to get a dislodged filling redone as it started really hurting.

The nice dentist cleared it out and refilled it, when the numbness went I was in agony and did not sleep all night. Went back in today and she says it may be an abcess under the tooth. Anyone had one of these and offer advice. It feels liek the tooth wants to explode which i have read is a stage 3er.

I have antibiotics, will rinse my mouth out with warm salty water and put strepsils on the poorly area. Anyone got any more tips? Its still agony and I really don;t want another crap nights sleep.

Yes I am male and a wimp

Thank Post
    Get some good pain killers.

You can alternate between co-codamol (500mg) and ibuprofen

Usually goes something like:

co-codamol
    ibuprofen
    co-codamol
    ibuprofen
    co-codamol
    ibuprofen
    co-codamol

I'm not a doctor though Speak to a pharmacist if you can, they can often offer some good advice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Anbesol - it's a local dental anesthetic - will help to numb the area that's in pain. It's just a liquid that you rub on where it hurts.

You can safely take simple paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time (but beware of max versions as they often contain other drugs risking overdose)

The earlier suggestion of alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen is a good as this way you can manage the pain without exceeding the maximum daily dose, or the interval between doses, of either.

If you are still in agony tomorrow, go back to your dentist. They can prescribe stronger painkillers for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i can sympathise...after putting up with toothache for weeks i went to the dentists and am in the middle of having an inlay filling made/fitted...cavity is that deep that it needs a hard filling. currently i've got toothache on that tooth as its got a temporary filling on it and its irritating my mouth. i strongly advise painkillers to take the pain away! i've got 2 more weeks of this before i have the final filling fitted!

Thank Post
    It'll be your nerve thats causing the problem and it'll be painkillers you need, the gels you can buy wont work they will only numb the gum not the nerve as there not strong enough.

Anit-inflamitories you'll need like ibuprofen to bring down the swelling.

Had a few of these and they hurt like hell, my teeth are in a bad way 3 broken teeth, 3 missing fillings and a gaping hole try that combo of pain lol Oh and two missing from Rugby playing.

If all else fails i recommend whisky, personally hate the stuff but it soon puts my min d of it

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    > Anbeso

Also oil of cloves is available at the pharmacy, small bottle of anesthetic liquid

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Get some good pain killers.

You can alternate between co-codamol (500mg) and ibuprofen

Usually goes something like:

co-codamol
    ibuprofen
    co-codamol
    ibuprofen
    co-codamol
    ibuprofen
    c
    I'm not a doctor though Speak to a pharmacist if you can, they can often offer some good advice.
    As Steve says for the co-codamol part get paramol (contains co-codamol) as it is best stuff you buy over the counter.

As for general advice get hot water bottle put on effected area will ease the pain (of course be careful not to burn yourself) and then just sleep it off..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    If its an absess, you may have a lump on your gum, albeit painful, try pushing it with your finger to release the pressure on it, when I got them when I was ikkle you could do that and it sort of oozed the pressure out of your gum, your mouth tasted foul (rinse it out obv) but it releaved the pressure and stopped the pain for a while until it built again, so maybe worth a prod perhaps, but obv, do see your dentist again even though they will just mumble on probably.

Thank Post
    Funny thing is swilling my mouth eases the pain, if I leave it then after a minute or so it starts aching really badly and eventually gets to shooting pains. My jaw gets really tensed up too... when I swill with cold water it eases the tension and the pain goes away..... I spent ALL last night drinking water to ease the pain I went to the bog 9 times and drank about a gallon.

Obviously sleep is impossible if I need to swill every 2 minuites so I might look at using a cold compress... thansk for the advice peeps. I have had 2 hours sleep in the past 2 nights so if I don;t get some decent shut eye tonight I am having a day off.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thank Post
    Haven't had toothache like that for years and years, but last time I did my dentist insisted on a root canal to save the tooth. Once you get an infection under the tooth like that it usually breaks into your nerve canals and causes a hell of pain trip! I feel your pain. Once you have been treated with antibiotics and pain killers your dentist might also suggest a root canal (depends on lots of things really).

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank Post
    I've had a root canal done because of nerve damage.......the pain before the diagnosis was extremely severe like yourself, couldn't sleep a wink. Also, putting a finger on the gum area actually exacerbated the swelling....so i wouldn't do as john suggest. LEave the area well alone, treatment is really only tablets - painkillers and anitbiotics from the dentist.

The root canal itself is an unpleasant experience to put it mildly, and they don't tend to be particularly successful. Or so the dental hospital reckons.
    I suspect that has more to do with pulling teeth out being cheaper for the nhs.

I was fine for a while after mine was done, but it flared up since, and they say now the diagnosis is tooth removal.......but the pain hasn't been severe enough to warrant me underaking such a drastic step. I know i will have to eventually but they can cap a removed tooth so it's not all bad.

It has flared up several times since i had the initial infection, hasn't caused me any pain just numbness in the tooth and occasional abcess and swelling of the gum. I doubt the gels will do anything as it may be nerve level stuff, just see your dentist asap and get him to prescribe some antibiotics, and they can fill in the cavity or whatever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Funny thing is swilling my mouth eases the pain, if I leave it then after a minute or so it starts aching really badly and eventually gets to shooting pains. My jaw gets really tensed up too... when I swill with cold water it eases the tension and the pain goes away..... I spent ALL last night drinking water to ease the pain I went to the bog 9 times and drank about a gallon.

Obviously sleep is impossible if I need to swill every 2 minuites so I might look at using a cold compress... thansk for the advice peeps. I have had 2 hours sleep in the past 2 nights so if I don;t get some decent shut eye tonight I am having a day off.

Thanks for all the replies.
    That was uncannily similar symptoms that i had prior to needing the root canal. The pain would return after slight comfort from swilling some water......i also had a desperate urge to bite down on a towel to try and ease the pain.....horrible experience, i remember it too well.
    Antibiotics prescribed did make a differencem but i still needed to get the root canal done.

Thank Post
    Go to a private dentist. My chap in town is awesome. He's a cosmetic dentist and knows how to finish the work so it looks good. Yeah, he costs me 40 every 6 months for a full checkup and I've just had a crown fitted at 600 but it looks bloody excellent. He's never hurt me in my time with him.

Reason I'm posting this is that my first appointment with him was to look at an abcess. One filling later and a dose of anti-biotics it was clear. But...... it came back. That was a root canal job then. It was a two trip job as well. First was to hollow the tooth out down to the roots, then to kill the roots. Not a blot of pain from the dentist and the abcess is now gone.

I've now had the crown done recently, and a few days ago an abcess has come out. Theres no pain as I have no root on this tooth either, but it's just irritating if you catch it on something. Gonna phone him end of the week if's not calmed down.

But don't put up with the pain. If you have poor teeth like mine (and no it's not due to me not brushing them twice daily) then get a decent private dentist. But go to a dentist and get it sorted. Pulling teeth is a cheap method of fixing things, but can lead to problems later on which is why I've had this tooth crowned and not pulled. It's in the middle of other teeth, and basically if one is taken from the middle the others over a period of time will move and lean into the empty space causing a shed load of hassle for you in the future.

Thats just my 2 worth.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh I signed up for a private denplan thing and ever since I got a private dentist he's done a good job.

Best thing is that if there is an emergency, he can see me usually within the hour.

It costs about 20 quid a month.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just had an abcess this last week gone, plus previously I've lost 3 other teeth to abcesses. So I'm quite qualified to speak about it.

Basically what happens when you get an abcess is the following:

1. You will be pain for about 24-48hrs.
    2. It will sudddenlly stop. This is because the nerve is dead.
    3. The spot that was aching will swell up. In extreme cases, it'll look like you've got mumps.
    4. The swelling will make it hurt again. It'll feel like the tooth is being pushed out.
    5. At this point I'm usually at the dentist. Depending on the swelling (if it's too swollen the local ansethic doesn't work) he's either put a drain in (by drilling a hole down through the top of the tooth) or lanced it (same thing but though the gum) or pulled the tooth (if local ansethic worked).
    6. After the trip to the dentist and having your tooth pulled it'll feel like someones hit you with a solid uppercut to the jaw for the rest of the day. I suggest sleeping it off. You'll probably of been given some antibiotics to take too, to get rid of any residual infection left.

Usual disclaimers apply. IANAD. etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information