+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, An interesting opinion (teaching assitant pay) in General; Originally Posted by leco We do get statutory holiday pay for bank holidays, but not for the whole of the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    We do get statutory holiday pay for bank holidays, but not for the whole of the school holidays. i.e. we are paid for two days at Easter but not for the rest of the two week break.

But legally you must be paid for at least some of the hols. The way most term time contracts work is 39 weeks of term + bank hols + 4 weeks annual leave (or a portion thereof)=number of weeks paid for. This is usually divided by 12 so you get paid each month.

Thank Post
    @torledo

I agree with you 100% (almost)

Schools have more control over their budget (within reason) than individual LA depts and can decide what a job is worth to them. In my experience a school will generally set salary levels by comparing what other schools are paying rather than what the LA pays its own equivalent staff.

You can argue that schools employ fewer people with given skill sets, be it admin, technician, site support staff and so school based staff are generally more flexible than LA staff although as always there will be exceptions.

These reasons make it easier to defend the 'unique' nature of school roles when defending/justifying salary levels. I am not saying it is necessarily right, but that is how it often works.

Another aspect of this is that there is little or no incentive for an LA to interfere with school support staff salaries under single status as they cannot get their hands on any savings that could be made

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    But legally you must be paid for at least some of the hols. The way most term time contracts work is 39 weeks of term + bank hols + 4 weeks annual leave (or a portion thereof)=number of weeks paid for. This is usually divided by 12 so you get paid each month.
    Yes, sorry my post was not very clear. You explanation is exactly right. What I was trying to point out was that whilst we do get a pay cheque every month we are not paid out of term time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12