+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
General Chat Thread, And he does it!! in General; BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | Hamilton stays cool to take title...
  1. #1

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    880
    Thanked 684 Times in 453 Posts
    Rep Power
    505

    And he does it!!


  2. #2

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,422
    Thank Post
    1,531
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Rep Power
    305
    Yup, Lewis World Champion Talk about nailbiting finish!

  3. #3
    joe90bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,355
    Thank Post
    329
    Thanked 107 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Didn't see the race but good on him! It's been an 'interesting' season, and he deserved to win! By the sounds of that review it was a very close call!!!!

  4. #4

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,254
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 386 Times in 342 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    It will be interesting to hear what happened to Glock!

  5. #5

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,297
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Rep Power
    344
    I thought he was going to throw it all away at the end, but good on him!

  6. #6

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,144
    Thank Post
    1,917
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    396
    Jeez, what a way to win a championship!?!!!!

    Suck on that one, Ferrari!!

    I think my neighbours knew I was watching the race.....

    Last edited by tech_guy; 2nd November 2008 at 08:21 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Now all he needs to do is pay his tax like the rest of us!

  8. #8

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,144
    Thank Post
    1,917
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Now all he needs to do is pay his tax like the rest of us!
    With the money he's going to make now he could pay our tax for us!

  9. #9
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Now all he needs to do is pay his tax like the rest of us!
    what, you mean be a sheeple like the rest of us. If i earned 20-odd million a year i certainly wouldn't let the taxman take 40% or whatever the higher rate is for squillionaires.

    Seconded what sylv3r said........glocks pace just fell off a cliff on the last lap. It didn't look wet enough for the dry's under his toyota to slow him by 18 seconds on the last lap. Did seem very odd.

    Heart in the mouth last couple of laps, thank god for rain in formula one.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    what, you mean be a sheeple like the rest of us. If i earned 20-odd million a year i certainly wouldn't let the taxman take 40% or whatever the higher rate is for squillionaires.
    No I mean pay his way like the rest of us do and pay towards all the services that he has doubtless used over the years!

  11. #11
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    No I mean pay his way like the rest of us do and pay towards all the services that he has doubtless used over the years!
    maybe he and his dad have paid for the services they used in previous years when they were resident in the UK. Now he's a resident of switzerland he's obviously not taking advantage of these public services.......so why should he pays for services he DOESN'T take advantage of.

    it strikes me as odd you'd want him to pay for services he's presumably paid for in previous years....'used over the years' as you say, when he was a mclaren employee resident in the uk.

    Anyway i'm sure he pays some tax to the UK.....just probably not as much as you'd want him to pay.

    Just to add, you do realise that income tax as part of the progressive tax system is one of the most ineffecient and unfair forms of taxation, because it's taxing productivity and earned income. Whereas various forms of unearned income have tax exemption or are easy to circumnavigate. ? I object to anyone paying absurb levels of basic and higher rate income tax on their main EARNED income, all becuase our progressive taxation system is obsessed with ability pay. Unfortunately they teach this nonsense to kids at a very young age, and we go through our entire working lives not questioning the progressive tax system.
    Last edited by torledo; 2nd November 2008 at 09:45 PM.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    maybe he and his dad have paid for the services they used in previous years when they were resident in the UK. Now he's a resident of switzerland he's obviously not taking advantage of these public services.......so why should he pays for services he DOESN'T take advantage of.

    it strikes me as odd you'd want him to pay for services he's presumably paid for in previous years....'used over the years' as you say, when he was a mclaren employee resident in the uk.

    Anyway i'm sure he pays some tax to the UK.....just probably not as much as you'd want him to pay.

    No - I just hate these people who think it's ok to skip the country as soon as they make a few quid so they can avoid taxes. A dubious morality IMHO.

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 433 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    It will be interesting to hear what happened to Glock!
    He hadn't stopped for wet tyres, so he was ahead but much slower.

  14. #14
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    No - I just hate these people who think it's ok to skip the country as soon as they make a few quid so they can avoid taxes. A dubious morality IMHO.
    Fair enough, sorry about the little progressive tax rant i added in my last paragraph.....but it's something i do feel quite strongly about. Having read a lot of the economist Fred Harrison and his theory on land taxes.

    Yes, i accept lewis decision was very cynical, and he did himself no favours by citing the 'lack of privacy' balls for upping sticks to the land of cows with bells.

    @K.C Leblanc - i know he was on slicks, but i didn't think the rain was heavy enough to slow him by 18 seconds. Although that is by far the most logical explanation......he just looked slow, didn't notice him struggling to keep the car in a straight line as if often the case with drys on a wet track. His slicks would have been up to temperature aswell so...... btw i'm not looking for a conspiracy theory. honest.

  15. Thanks to torledo from:

    jcollings (2nd November 2008)

  16. #15


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 433 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    @K.C Leblanc - i know he was on slicks, but i didn't think the rain was heavy enough to slow him by 18 seconds. Although that is by far the most logical explanation......he just looked slow, didn't notice him struggling to keep the car in a straight line as if often the case with drys on a wet track. His slicks would have been up to temperature aswell so...... btw i'm not looking for a conspiracy theory. honest.
    Trulli did a similar time on the last lap.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •