+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sky Broadband - any good? in General; [QUOTE=tech_guy;247469]You've obviously got a good connection to the exchange! I think mine is held on with some string and blue-tac....QUOTE] ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=tech_guy;247469]You've obviously got a good connection to the exchange! I think mine is held on with some string and blue-tac....QUOTE]

Love it....perfectly described..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    But its better than being fooled by a company like virgin who claim to put fibre lines in your house, the last few feet are fibre and put in by someone who went on a weeks course on how to terminate opposed to the professionals who train on it for months.
    The last few feet isnt fibre, it's coax to the cable modem and then ethernet to your router/pc etc. Virgin are also more likely to be able to put fibre in the whole way years before BT can. I was with Nildram for over 5 years.... who were absolutey brilliant, until they were purchased by Pipex and then later Tiscali. Apparentley 3 days downtime (midweek) to migrate from IPStream to Tiscali's LLU network was acceptable.

Despite the obvious customer service issues, the Virgin Cable Modems are technically superior. As we all know, in general, ADSL is a fairly cr@p technology, shoving a high speed data link over a POTS network that was designed and laid out for voice in about 1900. If you've ever seen them open up one of the road based BT junction boxes.. they look a bit like this - http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/l...0-sidewalk.jpg and it's a general wonder why anything does work at all.

Virgin's service'll be going 50meg before April 2009.. and I guess thats quite a jump from the '16meg.. more like 8' that ADSL seems to deliver.

Kyle

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    I dont belive I made that a statement that all will recive the same? The poster asked for opinions I showed mine.
    The statement you made was "The speeds are not great" and then said you only receive what you do.

What you clearly meant to say, is that your speed isn't great.

Puts a whole different slant on your statement.

Hope that clarifies your misunderstanding?

HAND.

Thank Post
    I've just got the 8Mb service from Sky, no complaints regarding speed at all normally get close to the 8Mb in fact. Only small drawback seems to be a locked down router with no access to finding the account details that would allow you to swap for another router (e.g. draft N), or setup to point to use the OpenDNS servers.

Thank Post
    Been chuffed to bits with mine since install. BT where the plonkers charging me for two months more BB rental as requested. Eventually managed to get the money back.

Sky engineer for the SKY+ was top billing as well. Very professional and very fast.

Phone calls have been alot cheaper and I'm going to move line rental across as well now as I get my Call Minder / Show Caller thing for free as well now.

Well recommended, and if you have a friend you can say they recommended you and get £50 of M&S Vouchers. We have made £150 so far from that alone.

Thank Post
    I have been really impressed with Sky broadband. I have now had the 'up to 16mbit' unlimited package for over a year, and it has been very good.

I sync at about 12meg and can sustain downloads at about 1150k (depending on server). Pings are fairly good after I requested my 'max delay' to be reduced.

Thank Post

Staying with BT

I phoned BT today to get a MAC code to cancel my BT BB. After 2 sales pitches from them begging me to stay, they reduced their price to about £7 per month, down from £15. They threw in the router as well (although I suspect they normally give these away).

I'm staying with BT BB, having got a reduction of £90 a year and the router. (I've currently got the BT Voyager USB modem, instead of a router).

I signed up for Sky TV and phone in November, but Sky aren't charging me for the BB because I never started it.

Suits me!
    Last edited by OverWorked; 3rd February 2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added a bit

Thank Post
    I not got it myself personally but I know from experience that when I had to setup my uncles email into outlook. It was a nightmare! and the support was poor. Had to rely on forums such as edugeek to assist with the problem!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    I've just got the 8Mb service from Sky, no complaints regarding speed at all normally get close to the 8Mb in fact. Only small drawback seems to be a locked down router with no access to finding the account details that would allow you to swap for another router (e.g. draft N), or setup to point to use the OpenDNS servers.
    Tony, youcan find out how to do it here. I was put onto this by a Sky sales rep when I signed up. TBH I've not had reason to try it myself as all works out of the box, and the router seems pretty good.

Apologies to the mods if this post is not allowed!

Thank Post
    I have sky and couldn't cope without it! However I don't use sky broadband because where I live they wanted to charge me an additional £18 a month. Also they will send you a Netgear router which is locked to them and as such you can't make changes, which can be frustrating.

I like PlusNet and pay £25 a month for broadband and phone inc free calls day and night.

Hope that helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acer-man View Post
    Also they will send you a Netgear router which is locked to them and as such you can't make changes, which can be frustrating.
    That's if you are one of the lucky ones. Mine is a Sagem, although I can't say I've had any problems with it (better still since I managed to make it upgrade its own firmware).

The email on sky is provided by Google, although the sky sign on and front end seems to slow it to an almost unusable speed - I just forward it to my regular email account (although I am yet to receive any "Official emails" from Sky).

I'm about 5 miles from the exchange and I get around 4Mb downstream which is what I had before I moved from Virgin (before the upgrades). The ping times aren't as good as Virgin's and I tend to use OpenDNS (on my machine, router is locked down) because I had problems with browsing etc.

12. Thanks to fiendishlyclever from:

DaveP (3rd February 2009)

Thank Post
    Also they will send you a Netgear router which is locked to them and as such you can't make changes, which can be frustrating.
    I'm pretty sure all but one of the routers they use can be flashed to standard firmware available from the manufacturer or even a third party one which is even better. That reminds me I still need to flash mine with the DGTeam firmware.

I have the Sky mid package and its been fine, I live miles away from the exchange so don't get anything above 6Mb.
    Last edited by PeterW; 3rd February 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=PeterW;284545]I'm pretty sure all but one of the routers thye use can be flashed to standard firmware]

Yes I think you are correct, sorry for my mistake. I am relaying what my on-site technician said to me.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    ... and I tend to use OpenDNS (on my machine, router is locked down) because I had problems with browsing etc.
    Having seen your post I decided to give OpenDNS a go as I am with TalkTalk and the connection drops frequently. Also the connection to school via the LEA VPN does not last any longer than 5 mins before dropping [often a lot sooner]

I have also posted thanks below your post: BTW: Is there any diffrence between posting a 'Thank You' and adding to a members' reuptation? [aside from the thanks you have given showing below you avatar]

Unfortunately I can't check the VPN connection tonight as Vista has suddenly decided that part of the registry is corrupt/missing so I am now working on the Ubuntu side of the dual boot [Good old Linux]

Thank Post
    Service is good, not at all impressed with the speed though!!

8Mb service, usual speed is 1.1Mb

BT was much faster

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast