+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Do you have a second job during the holidays? in General; I would try and get some work IT contracting, use the skills you have! Whether that is with local companies ...
    Thank Post
    I would try and get some work IT contracting, use the skills you have! Whether that is with local companies or providing home support is up to you, but you could take out an ad in the local paper. If you get a basic temp job you will be on a poor wage and bored out your mind.

Thank Post
    I create Moodle Themes on the side, give me some creative output in my no so creative job.

Thank Post
    I have a small child so I have no energy for extra work. But its not true that school employees aren't allowed other jobs. Certainly our LEA doesn't stop people. My network manager has his own business doing IT support privately. Its great in that when you get some pesky teacher wanting me to fix their home PC I can just tell them that the network manager will fix it for a fee.

A lot of the TAs where I work do respite care during the holidays or weekends for children with special needs. Its not something I would choose to do, but it shows that plenty of people do have second jobs.

Thank Post
    @Frances
    It depends on the LEA and the school as to whether you can do a second job. Yes they cannot stop you without a good reason as this would be an unfair restriction of trade. However, if there is a conflict of interest, it breaks the European Working Time Directive, or it affects your ability to do your current job or work your contracted hours then they do have fair grounds.
    For instance, if you are in a role where you are purchasing IT equipment and your second job involved doing work for a supplier you use then there would be a conflict of interest.
    I'm not saying don't take a second job, HT's and LEA's are very cooperative with taking a second job, but it is best to be upfront with them, that's all I'm saying.

Thank Post
    Outside of my work at school I do a few hours work each week, at the weekend, for another company. Gives me a bit of extra pocket money!

Thank Post
    I work full time but still need the extra money. I'd do repair work but there are so many people chasing this kind of job it's not worth the bother. I'm now considering bar work for eves and weekends. you take anything with a family and house to keep.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    I am a declutterer when I am not doing the techie thing. I advise people on the best ways to cut down on clutter and actually go and help them sort things out so that they can cope better. I'm not one of these people who make others chuck everything out and start again, I just get them to see what they really want to keep, how to keep it and how to maximise storage space etc.
    I would point you to my website but it is down at the moment for various reasons

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blimey Witch, i could do with you!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12