+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Will I get any holiday pay? in General; Hi, I have just been offered a term time only technicians job - so presume this means I will be ...

Thank Post

Will I get any holiday pay?

Hi,
    I have just been offered a term time only technicians job - so presume this means I will be working and getting paid for just 39 weeks a year?
    What I want to know is whether I will get paid any holiday pay on top of this - ie 4 weeks holday pay per year.
    Does anyone know the answer to this please?
    Thanks
    Last edited by mimi; 26th October 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Thank Post
    probably not, the only people who wil know for certain are your employeers though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I've seen, your pay is calcualated pro-rota. So

(Salary Offered/52) * 39 = Amount Actually Paid per Year

This is then paid in 12 equal monthly chunks, so

Amount Actually Paid per Year / 12 = Amount Paid each month.

So you are effectively being paid during school holidays, but also only being paid for the actual hours you work, if that makes any sense?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    That is correct, you are paid one twelfth of your annual salary per month. This is just convenience for you and for the employer as it is easier for you to budget and for their computer system to cope with.
    As for holiday,it is likely that you don't get any holiday pay as your holiday is deemed to have been taken during the weeks that you don't work.

Thank Post
    Yes - you should get holiday pay. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal not to give you any.

My team are all term time only so get 39 weeks of term + 2 weeks bank hol + 4 weeks holiday so they get 45/52 of the advertised salary per year but for ease this is divided into 12 monthly payments.

You may well have to take your annual leave in the school hols (although we aren't obliged to at our place) but the employer will still have to pay you for some of it.
    Last edited by jcollings; 26th October 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Jon
    Thank Post
    You will/should also get some paid leave, it is a legal requirment.

My contract is term time +1, so i work for 40 weeks a year, I am entilteld also to 25 paid days leave a year and also paid bank holidays my salary is therfore pro-rated to take all of this into account and paid over 12 months.

Thank Post
    Thanks all for your info - I get my contract on 3rd November (first day in job after hols) so will let you know what it states re holiday pay - didn't seem right to ask about this at interview!!

Thank Post
    My understanding is the 4 weeks EU requirement applies to full time staff only, and therefore our standard LEA terms for holiday is 24 days + 9 bank holidays. Therefore, staff that are employed for 39 (term time) weeks per year, should be as follows:

39 paid weeks + 18 days paid holiday, and generally with the provisio that your 18 days paid holiday will be taken 'outside of days when the school is open and the children are in attendance' or similar.

However, your entitled to a (pro-rated) identical amount to any full time colleagues, too. Eg: if the caretaker on the same grade/same exprience gets 40 days for a 52 week working year, youd be entitled to (40 / 52) * 39.

And obviously, schools calculate your annual salary based on this, and then generally pay you in equal 12 month installements.

Kyle

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lot of la's you get paid extra on top of advertised salary for holiday entitlement but it is just automatically taken in school holidays when not working so.

Holiday is based on pro rate of full-time holiday entitlement.

Russ

Thank Post
    As others have said, if your hours are term time only, then you will be entitiled to the pro rated holidays. These will automatically be taken in the school holidays. Your pay will be spread over 12 months and your holidays will be included.

Check with your bursar if you have any queries regarding pay and holidays as they should be able to tell you how it works in your new school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread