+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, So what would you do? in General; Scenario: Lots of re-cabling, switch-chainging, cabinet-installing, server-moving, WAP-replacing and electric-renovation work is happening over half term, and as a result ...
    Thank Post

So what would you do?

Scenario: Lots of re-cabling, switch-chainging, cabinet-installing, server-moving, WAP-replacing and electric-renovation work is happening over half term, and as a result there will be no ICT at all in the school that can really be used (certainly no wireless, internet or EduGeeking )

SO, if you had 5 working days without having to give Tech Suppport to any member of staff, cannot access your own systems to do any Maintenance work, and can't surf the 'net for time-wasting, what would you do?

Best I've come up with is finishing the hardware audit (about 1 hours work), sorting out some photo's (locally on a laptop) and overseeing the installation work being done (which is why i HAVE to be here all week long)

Idea's on a postcard, post-it or just post

Thank Post
    I'd tidy the IT office.. It's not been done properly for many, many years. I'd also update the asset register, which is what I will be doing over half term.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Check every client is still operational. Although I know that there's no server/network to be had you can still go around clients, login locally, check for any glaring problems (like if the machine is on its last legs). Delete any old profiles if you do things that way, tidy up the local disks and move on. We do this after major holidays usually to make sure the entire network is solid for the new year start (they still manage to mess things up on the first day though!)

Think outside the network.

Of course if all the electricity is off, and you all have absolutely NOTHING to do in terms of paperwork, manual labour or whatever and MUST be on-site, may I recommend the sports hall for some light sporting entertainment?

Or even music if you fancy a jam.

I'm sure there's something you could do though!

Thank Post
    Xbox, pest control (though some people can get nervous of IT bods carrying guns around schools), gym workoputs x 3 hours per day. Make a fort out of monitors. Prank phone calls. Call tiscali technical support and make them hate you. brew your own beer, paint your office, make a spud gun, fly planes, fly helis, Spend hours on photo shop, build a plane from scratch, build a trex 250, watch LOTS of zombie movies, order in a different take away everyday.

I would / have done all of the above in work time for various employers.

Thank Post
    +1 for annoy Tiscali!!!

Thank Post
    Clean the filters in the projectors? Dust out the air inlets in PCs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWill
    I'd tidy the IT office.. It's not been done properly for many, many years. I'd also update the asset register, which is what I will be doing over half term.
    Sadly the IT Office is where most of the work is being done, so I can't tidy up there! The assest register is my job for halfterm, but as that's nearly done already I'm kinda stuck for ideas.

The ICT Suite has already been cleaned thoroughly, the laptops have all been re-installed with everything they need, my Software Library and Catalogue is complete, the projector cleans are tomorrow's job (training day but not for me), we don't have a sports hall (they use a local one down the road when needed), my paperwork is all but up-to-date, save for a few orders to place and 2 policies to re-write this afternoon.......

Methinks my PSP will just happen to 'fall' into my bag as I leave for work each day
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 23rd October 2008 at 01:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information